Naim Toaster!

We rented a large old house in Cornwall from the National Trust a few years ago (Godolphin House near Helston, if anyone is interested - sleeps 12 people).

That had an Everhot range to heat the place, produce hot water and for cooking. It was all electric. It was a cold week and I have often wondered just how huge the electricity bill was for that rental!

Best

David

3 Likes

Less-so in a cold climate where they contribute to heating the house of course. They reach maximum absurdity around here in the summer, when air-conditioning is used to fight the heat from the idling Agas in order to keep the 8,000 square feet houses cool.

Nice air source pump …

1 Like

Agreed - we have a Rayburn (which went up in smoke ten years ago) and Oil fired boiler. The latter needs replacing and we have paid a deposit on an air source heat pump - delayed by the lockdown sadly. I would also like to replace the Rayburn but leccy equivalents (aga, ever hot etc) cost a fortune to buy and run

1 Like

I did a video about our ASHP on my channel : https://youtu.be/HHhU0PVMDbo

3 Likes

excellent - just watched it!

We are a bit stuck with the Rayburn as we factored it into our calculations when we did the house (barn conversion) in 2006-07, so the radiator in the main downstairs room (kitchen living room) is not enough for the room (though we also have a woodburner in that room). We have mega insulation (way, way beyond building regs in 2007) and a heat recovery mechanical ventilation system, so have high hopes for the ASHP to work really well for us (9kW specified) - and if it’s cold and windy our share in the wind turbine will come in handy! Hoping to get solar in a couple of years to coincide with replacing the iPace, hopefully with something that can do vehicle to grid. The Renewable Heat Incentive is forecast to more than pay for the additional cost of the ASHP over the oil boiler we need, so very pleased with that

2 Likes

It really is time to end lockdown isn’t it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.