Naim Uniti Nova PE edition

Fair enough, though from that angle not many modern hifi amps are unable to achieve a reasonable listening level for most people using for most speakers.

Traditional Naim already drives low impedance. My comments are within this relevant context…comparison to the types of amps Naim provided in the past. All things being equal, we are talking about an extra 3db in comparison to Naim amps that already drive lower impedances.

I should know. I use Quads.

I guess I can’t disagree that the target fit this product is insensitive, hard to drive speakers, in large rooms. If people think that extra 3db matters or that the regular Uniti couldn’t drive lower impedances, who am I to argue.

I can assure you that I don’t dismiss anything and I’ve owned a class D amp in the past and heard others (though briefly). Would like to hear this amp precisely because it seems to have a linear supply (nothing against SMPS).

Sure, but for example it could tell that a Nait 50 could not provide ‘without clipping’ a somewhat loud 90dBSPL music gig paired with say a 85db efficient ATC SCM19 at a 3 meters listening distance. That could have the effect of dissipating wishful thinking in some cases don’t you think?

For clarification, my observation wasn’t directed at you, however you will have noticed plenty on this thread that it appears to fit.

There are loads of class D amps powered by linear EI and toroidal core transformers on the market. It’s not unusual.

1 Like

Sorry, where are you getting this 3db from? With regards to Traditional Naim amps which can already drive low impedance loads, the Nova isn’t a Traditional Naim Amp. Plus if you have low impedance speakers in a large room and play at loud volumes etc then you will likely need more watts than the existing Nova can offer. The near doubling of watts will make little difference where they aren’t needed i.e. typical room size, typical speakers at moderate volumes but if you need more watts then this is where the extra 70 watts makes a huge difference.

1 Like

By definition double the output power is a 3dB increase in power, whether 25 to 50, 50 to 100 or 80 to 160 as almost with Nova to Nova PE (80 to 150) and the same with peak power if that is doubled. But as you note, although a small numerical difference when expressed in dB does not make it insignificant.

N.B. For anyone unaware reading this, it does not automatically mean the sound is 3dB louder, as with the same gain it will be the same for the same volume control setting - but it means there is more reserve.

Cyrus spring to mind immediately, the Lyric series of all in ones, the recent One series of amps and the Stereo 200 power amplifier all combined a Toroidal transformer with Class D amplification and Cyrus’ speaker impedance detection (SID). IIRC the Temple Audio Bantam One (made in Manchester) is another example.

Thanks for clarifying.

I skimmed the thread and haven’t quite read everything. I think we can agree would be a shame to dismiss any product, particularly from Naim, without hearing it. Without question, I plan to have a listen because I’m fascinated to hear Naim’s take on integrating class D. Going to be a while, though.

3 Likes

Anyone here actually own this thing?

1 Like

Even if someone did they’d be unlikely to admit it here.

2 Likes

Just to weigh in here
I don’t like it,
Don’t care about what class amp it’s got,
:rofl:

The large Focals shouldn’t be too difficult to drive. In general the bigger the speaker the easier to drive if I’m not mistaken.

The large Focals have a sensitivity of 94dB, so it’s probably more the large room than them.

1 Like

Not sure there is any real correlation between size and ease of drive, even if some larger speakers may be less problematic than some small. Indeed in some ways the reverse may be the case as going from a midbass to a separate bass driver adds complexity to the crossover while deeper bass adds more demand for adequate control the otherwise flapping cone, otherwise it is more a matter of design of the speaker than size.

1 Like

…that’s my understanding too…as a generalisation, the bigger the speaker, the easier it is to drive.
But, its not all down to dB/Watt.

1 Like

Focals in general, due to their ‘efficient’ Be tweeters, have high sensitivities (>90db), but as @Innocent_Bystander points out, feed the larger models in to higher SPLs (get the woofers moving) and the current demands elevate substantially as the impedance falls away (and ergo demands on an amp). This is where the regular debates on the Forum play out (always friendly!), as to whether an issue is down to the stated power of the amp (watts), its ability to swing transients (i.e. current delivery), and an amp’s general ability to maintain current delivery in to a lower-impedance 'speaker, as more ‘power’ often correlates to better control.

Not heard one myself and TBH not at all interested in getting one, but my dealer has listened extensively to one and confessed to being quite impressed. Of course that’s hearsay and just one person’s taste but then taste in hifi is inevitably subjective.

Personally I hope it proves a great success for Naim, but even if it’s a sales flop I think it’s good to see them exploring new directions.

Roger

1 Like

Its not so much the sensitivity. Large speakers by definition move lots of air so go loud easily and hence have a high sensitivity. Its the impedance that makes them difficult to drive, the big Focals state a min impedance on 3 ohms which is very low, also the EPDR (you can google definitions) means that likely the minimum impedance is probably equivalent to 2 or less. So in terms of an amplifier, you need one that will drive a low impedance load and have plenty of watts - given every time the impedance haves your required watts doubles. Given all this, the target market and restricted space in a Nova, the Nova PE makes sense in terms of opting for class D and doubling the watts.

1 Like

Absolutely not so be definition, and it is wholly wrong to generalise like that: some large speakers are efficient some are not. Efficiency is nothing to do with large cones moving large amounts of air - if it was, then the larger the speaker driver with heavier cone and more air resistance, the less efficient because it takes more power to move that air. A large cone moving a larger amount of air is simply being louder – but using more power in the process. In the first instance, efficiency is down to driver design, from magnet strength to gap size to number of coil turns within the gap, and of course suspension compliance. Then for a given driver, the design of the box it’s in and how it couples to the external air also has an influence.