Naim Uniti Nova PE edition

It is.
I can’t help wondering if Naim convert to Class D all around :face_with_spiral_eyes:

And surely it would be great if they do, if sound quality is maintained or improved and cost the same or lower!

1 Like

Assuming that cost would get passed on to the customer… But besides that there are of course both technical and environmental advantages to class D, so I would be happy to see it.

Yes, I meant cost to the consumer!

https://www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/reviews/879-naim-audio-uniti-nova-pe-streaming-amplifier

1 Like

Class D is very dependent on the power-supply so Naim can probably make it sound really good. I didnt know this and made the mistake of judging the Nova PE based on the amp modules (which I had heard in other amps).

I had the opportunity of trying out a Primare i35 integrated (incl streamer+dac) with Purifi and their own optimized power-supply and to my surprise I liked it (even musically). I’m to old to change my ways now and I am happy with my current pre/power combo but I would certainly check out the Nova PE if I got that intergrated-itch back again.

3 Likes

Judging by your profile picture, I would guess that you were born in the early 60s?

It’s interesting that the Nova PE has been greeted with some scepticism by several forum members because of the class D power amps, yet the active versions of PMC’s Twenty5i speakers seem to have been pretty widely welcomed on here, even though these also have class D power amps. Funny old world!

Roger

12 Likes

I never heard a Class D amp that I liked.
Grey and boring.

Haven’t heard Nova PE but the massive price hike compared to Nova I doubt my interest will become high.

I was critically against the Nait 50 and its pricing - to be honest I ended up buying one. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

One day Naim will release his own class D amp. Then the interests will grow.

Hopefully, and until then the more people buy the PE around the world to help fund Naim R&D, the better.

The nightmare - all Naim amps Class D :scream:

1 Like

That was a good and very positive review. It would have been nice to have a comparison against the regular Nova too though.

Only for products like Atom HE.

To me it doesn’t matter what type of amp it is class a, b or ab or d as long as it sounds good and brings out the emotion of the music!
I think the companies that do that will succeed no matter what type of amp it is. They just have to have a passion for music and to reproduce it with soul and feelings!

3 Likes

There are probably not that many people who are against class D on principle… On the other hand, there are probably many who have listened to class D and didn’t like what they heard and are against it for that reason… It’s not more difficult than that imo.

1 Like

I wonder what the sample size was for those folks? I suspect relatively small, and that most will have heard more class AB amps that they didn’t like than they heard class D. So was its class, or the amplifier as a whole the issue? :thinking:

My Linn Selekt DSM;Edition Hub in my main system and my SMSM SA300 in my office system have both Class D amps.

Both work well and sound good. Indeed the Selekt has more than enough power to drive my Kudos Titan 606 loudspeakers in active mode.

DG…

3 Likes

Who knows :man_shrugging:

Those that think Naim switching to Class D would by definition be a nightmare? They seem pretty certain off themselves.

1 Like