Naim Uniti Nova PE edition

Guess they might be surprised with a price)

That approach has worked for Naim for nearly 50 years. 160/250. 200/250. NDX2/ND555. Supercap/XPSDR. Etc, Etc.

1 Like

and yet it will not work for Nova. I see the value of a higher-class all-in-one but starting from Atom those established themselves as lifestyle already

And then again, why more power Nova needed? To pair it with Focal Utopia as in Munich? So it’s a kind of downgrade option for those who already run 20k+ speakers… Maybe.

Ah yes, the old ‘lifestyle’ bollocks.

3 Likes

In fact it isn’t the same product.
It contains a Class D amp with 150W
The standard Nova is what ? 80W ?

I’m more concerned about Naim’s reputation in their move by double the price for a double up watt.
Maybe thats the logic explanation by a management board member ?
Another concern, and this is really a concern, what if any new amp from Naim is Class D.?
I have yet to hear Nova PE, not interested in streaming but in amps.
I have yet to hear a Class D amp I like, too grey clinically.

For someone who wants an all-in-one that is capable of handling more difficult speaker loads, and wanting Naim?

“Lifestyle” maybe, but some members have been vocal about wanting a more capable all-in-one… Now this might not be what some of those envisaged or really wanted, but if it performs well doesn’t it fill a particular gapin the range (with maybe a bigger, better, Supernova to come in due course)?

2 Likes

I can see that people are quite happy with Nova and 5k+ PMC pairings, what are realistically those more demanding speakers?

For me a class itself is not a concern, after all Naim never was about to be close to Class A. From the brand perspective however it would be nice to see Naim own development rather than Purifi modules.

1 Like

Likely nothing to do with price, more to do with the design, i.e. low speaker impedance and sensitivity.

Its more about Naim promote Nova PE to partner some Focal loudspeakers and maybe in large room.
Deep down Its about selling more Focal.

2 Likes

That Atom HE was also the devils work. Just greedy shareholders forcing us to buy it so that focal can sell more headphones. Outrageous!

3 Likes

I don’t have a list of speakers that are challenging to drive, nor do I have any idea what speakers someone may have or intend to get when interested in the NovaPE. However to take the example you cited, from what I’ve gleaned, the smaller PMCs, as seem most popular with Nova, say up to Twenty5–23, are relatively benign loads compared to some of the larger, and more complex, transmission line designs. Certainly my EB1s, with a nominal 4 ohm impedance, benefitted greatly from the low output impedance and high power capability of a Bryston 4B (500W potential peak into 4 ohms), and was said to be even more so with the more powerful 7B. Ditto my present MB2s.

And even my earlier IMF RSPM, though it was quite limited in power handling, loved the grip of a Musical Fidelity P270 over a P170, and even more so the massive A370 (and UIUC the only difference between those MF amps is thd number of output transistors and size of power supply).

1 Like

Did they held a gun at your head ?

A lot use the HE with non Focal headphones, and also as streaming pre with a Nap 250 dr or active speakers.
You are not a bit exaggerating Ardberg?

1 Like

:slight_smile: it’s irony Rooster, I’m one of the fallen and have the HE.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the irony. Well done :+1::grin:

1 Like

:sunglasses:Same here, but with Nait 50.

Nice. I’m planning a greenhouse in my garden and a Nait 50 would suit nicely if funds allow.

Naim has used the RCA circuit or variation/quasi complementary circuit since the early 1970s. For this product, they’ve abandoned that circuit for another company’s class D. I’d call that a significant change.