Naim Uniti Nova + Rel T9/x Sub

I don’t have a REL, so can’t advise on that. I use a pair of RCA’s on my sub, which is far easier to set up and avoided extra runs of speaker cables.

1 Like

How much is the Rel Bassline blue cable with stackable bananas? Where can I buy it?

So we have 3 possible connection: high level to the naim or to the loudspeakers. Are This two the same performances?

And the RCA connection (maybe the less performing of the three solutions)

Rel has only one rca (low level imput)

So I had to use a cable like this I think

Google is your friend here. You’d need to contact your local REL dealer, specifying the Naim variant.

A 2 RCA to 1 RCA, as in your photo, you’d work.

I wouldn’t overthink this, just use the solution that’s the best fit for your room arrangement, to give the neatest arrangement of wires.

The Bassline Blue is rather expensive. You can get a much cheaper version from a cable company called Designacable. Either way, make sure you specify the Naim version of the cable if you choose to connect to the amp. If you connect to the loudspeakers you can just use the cable that is supplied by Rel with the sub.

I’ve read this topic

There are a lot of topic about sub & naim

The reason why low level connection has worse performance is due to the lack of “sub” output from the naim uniti and at the same time the lack of double R & L input on the REL?
Can mini dsp or anti-mode solve this problem?
Mini dsp doesn’t seem to have enough connection

but antimode

seems to allow the doble rca L & R from uniti nova and only one rca 180° or 0° to the sigle low level input of REL

The miniDSP can be programmed to combine 2 RCA inputs into 1 RCA output.

Where I shoud to place the mini dsp or antimode? Near the sub or near the amplifier?
And what are the benefits to use a device like antimode or midisp who combine 2 rca input into 1 rca output compared to a direct connection sub-amplifier using just one cable “2 rca - 1 rca”?

Hi
I have tried the High level connection but it showed up A sort of noise from the speakers.
I used both the High connections to the amplifier: standard and fully balanced. In the second One the black cable has not been connected.

The high level connection shouldn’t hum. Have you followed the advice on Rel’s website about different ways to connect?
What do you mean by ‘fully balanced’? There are no balanced outputs on the Nova, just low level connections using either DIN or RCA sockets.
Perhaps you could post some photos of your connections?

I don’t know if that noise could be called hum. In my oponion Is higher tone than Classic hum.
I followed the rel manual and wrapped the High level cables around to the back of banana Jacks (I Still don’t have stackable Bananas cable)

I also tried the low level connection with a simple 2 to 1 RCA cable (no coaxial)
There haven’t been strange noises but performance were very poor compared to the High level

The Nova is not balanced, try following the instructions for a regular (unbalanced) amp which would include connecting the black cable to one of the - terminals.

If that doesn’t help you should try either connecting at the loudspeaker end, ot buying a Naim modified cable if you want to connect to the amp.

Before buying a bassline blue cable with stackable bananas/spade (even if not rel original) I’d like to understand some things.

With Rel t/9x + Uniti Nova + kef r7

1. What are pro and cons between high level connection to the amp e high level connection to the speakers?

• How to connect rel t/9x to the speakers? I can’t see the connection scheme on manual
  2. Talking about low level connection, what are the differences between this situation:
    -2 rca output on the amplifier → 2 rca input on the sub / 1 rca output on the amplifier → 1 rca input on the sub

and

• 2 rca output on the amplifier and 1 rca input on the sub

In the last case (my situation) I shoud to use a 2 to 1 cable. What are the cons of this solution? Which type of cable I shoud to use?

Please, read the previous comments on this thread.
You should connect High Level connection wires to the speakers’ terminals not the amplifier’s or you will get hum.

I agree that it’s generally best to use the high level input on a Rel sub, and the speaker end is the best place to connect it if using a standard Rel supplied lead. However, if you are getting hum using a different connection method that almost certainly indicates a grounding problem elsewhere, as this is not normally a problem with Naim/Rel systems.

I understand that High level Is the best solution for rel.
But I’m still confused about the low level connection and y cable that is necessary to connect uniti nova to rel sub

Anyway

If I use the standard High level cable (included )I had to divide it and connect the the black and Yellow cable to a speaker and the Red cable to the other speaker. Is It correct? I can’t See this kind of connection to the speaker on the instruction manual.

And don’t understand why some guys,(I See the photos in this forum) connected the High level cable to only One speaker. (Yellow+ Red to the positive and black to the negative)

Is available A separate bassline cable with spade? Where I can find It?

All reasons why I suggested the RCA connection for a Nova. Nice and simple.

1 Like

What kind of RCA cable? Coaxial? Y 2 to 1 ? With resistitor?
Or only 1 to 1 rca connected to the left or right preamp Nova output ?

Or a 2 to 2 RCA connected to a device like anti Mode/ Mini disp connected in turn to the rel with 1 to 1 RCA?

I’m curious to try rca connection with the appropriate cable

I’m a Nova owner and It seems absurd I had to modify the only cable included into rel t9/x packaging for using this sub without problems

Now I 've divided the second half of the original cable and connected the Yellow and black cable to the left speaker and the the Red cable to the right speaker.
This to mantein the same lenght from the sub located behind the left speaker.

Now there are no hum noise, and the sound Is Great, but the connection looks like improvised

I’d like to use a pre diveded cable, maybe with spade but I don’t know where I can find It.
I think It Is necessary to connect the sub to the right and left speakers.
All the other High level cable seem to have been designed for An amplifier connection

1 Like

I suggest you talk to a company called Designacable. They should be able to make you a split cable if you don’t want to use the one supplied by Rel.
Alternatively they can make you a cable with stackable bananas that is specially modified for use with Naim amps if you prefer to connect at the amp end. (Rel also make such a cable, but theirs is very expensive).

As per your photo at post 11 and HH’s reply.