Naim x Magico

Just unboxing now.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Well done!

Peder will be along shortly to give you a bollocking for not using Naim Chips :open_mouth:

Hope you enjoy them.

3 Likes

They look like Herbies, very sensible while finding the final position. Not so sure about long term, Iā€™ve not done that comparison. If new and the system is piercingly bright at first donā€™t worry, they should mellow out in a few weeks.

Yes Herbies for now. Magico supply chips themselves, but as these loosen up I think there will be a bit of pushing them around the floor to try placement options. The plastic on the bottom of the Herbies is good for that.

Nice :sunglasses: The grilles look very much like what Monitor Audio used for their MK1 Platinum Series :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well done Bart. The 6m wait must have been killing you ! And they even threw in a free Magico towel for you as well :smiley:

Bart, they look very nice and very different to your previous speakers. I do hope you are happy with them after the long wait. One tip for you - align the glass and the equipment precisely with the front of the Fraim shelf. Not only will it look better, it should sound better too. Iā€™m assuming you checked that the glass is the right way up when you were building the racks.

A tip I got from Magico about dusting - donā€™t use the dust cloth on any of the drivers, or touch them in any way. Use aerosol ā€œcanned airā€, keeping the nossel a good 12-18ā€ away from the drivers.
Best - Bob

they look fantastic! how the sound Bart ?

I only noticed this from the photo. I think that our cleaning people push it around, and my daughter and wife push the glass under the phono stage when they turn it off and on.

Iā€™ve yet to figure out which is the top surface of the glass shelves. Iā€™ve tried ā€˜knockingā€™ on them, but they sound the same on both sides. Clearly Iā€™m not doing it right!

I found the same @Bart. No discernible difference knocking on either side of the glass.

You should align the boxes with the glass, and no amount of pushing will alter that, though a good push can shift the glass/box combo backwards.

Of my five glass shelves there is a clear difference between the two sides with four of them but much less so on the other one. I suspect this makes less difference than getting the glass and boxes in the right place in the first place.

Ahh yes I was talking about the glass moving on the ballsā€¦not aligning the boxes with the glass was just laziness here!

Clearly you need to raise your standards!

Bart,

The speakers look superbā€¦congratulationsā€¦

Iā€™m sure once settled in they will really make you smileā€¦enjoy

Congratulations Bart!
The A3s look superb and fit nicely your listening environment.
Iā€™m looking forward to reading your first impressions.
Enjoy! :smiley:

:small_blue_diamond:ChrisSU,ā€¦Of course,.so I show up as ā€œold man in the boxā€ :grin::joy:.

We say so in Sweden,.hope the translation means the same in English.

:black_small_square:But itā€™s just Linn Skeet vs Naim Chips that we compared against each other.
Yes,.we have tested other ā€œChipsā€ as well,ā€¦but not so that I want to pronounce myself publicly on the result.

/PederšŸ™‚

A couple more photos from the evening.

Although these are new and pretty tight, weā€™re really pleased. Beautiful midrange, really smooth treble thatā€™s all there but not a hint of harshness, and really integrated bass that PUNCHES. The A3ā€™s truly are ā€œfull range.ā€ And the coherence among the drivers, and overall soundstage, is fantastic.

And thatā€™s just in the position that the prior speakers were in, plus a few inches further from the back wall. Iā€™m going to pull them into the room a half inch at a time. And I need to see if they want to be a few inches farther apart; they are not so far apart as to create an equilateral triangle.

4 Likes