Nait 2 casework respray

My Nait 2 casework has seen better days. It has just returned from a service so would like to restore the casework back to it’s original colour.

Does anyone know the exact colour & where i could maybe get this work carried out.

Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t know what paint Naim uses in the Factory, but I reckon that black Hammerite will be a fairly close match.

I find a rattle can of silk finish black works well. Hammerite of the old school type will not give a finish anything like the original. Too metallic.

1 Like

I’ve used Rustoleum black fine textured spray paint on numerous projects which has a very similar finish. Part number 7220830.

As with any paint job, how you prepare the surface before paint will greatly impact your results.

2 Likes

Agree with bruss on Hammerite, would ruin the look of the Nait ( unless they’ve changed that metallic finish, but I’d certainly test first).

1 Like

Hammerite paints come in two finishes, described (by the company) as ‘hammered’ and ‘smooth’. I thought that the smooth paint would be a pretty close match to the Naim cases…

Otherwise, make a call to Naim Customer Service in Salisbury, see if they give any guidance.

Be careful of applying a new coat to an existing one. If the current case is dinged and scratched, a new coat won’t make it look new. It will make it look like an old battered Nait with a second coat of paint. If it can’t be stripped first, I’d let it wear the scars as a patina of history.

As another angle, mint condition cases from other shoebox gear can be had. Some dealers keep stock of knackered Naim gear for parts.

3 Likes

Have you tried black boot polish

3 Likes

Yes - and/or just painting in/over the obvious dings or scratches with black paint…?

Do Not Respray…!!!

1 Like

I’ve used black fingernail polish (often available in a matte finish) more times than I care to admit to spruce up older electronics…

2 Likes

Black felt pen for any small white marks works well with Olive and Chrome Bumper casework. I wouldn’t use any paint at all. If you do, I would get it professionally stripped and powder coated by professional. Otherwise just touch up with felt pen, try cleaning. Or leave it well alone.

2 Likes

Be careful if using a black permanent marker - some brands have a purplish tinge on drying which will be really noticeable against a proper black. Not all markers do though, so just test before using.

4 Likes

Yes. So… I use black paint. On a CB or Olive case I would be using Humbrol Gloss Black (No.21). On a Black/Classic case, it would be Humbrol Satin Black (No.85).

YMMV as always. Just my own experience… Which is worth exactly nothing… :expressionless:

Be aware that the finish was powder coated. Furthermore, the NAIT had a unique size of extruded case - shorter in depth than the small pre-amps and power amps (although not quite as short in depth as the later SNAPS) - so you can’t just replace with a standard half-width case.

4 Likes

There’s a trick to stopping this. A few seconds after applying, just as it dries, wipe over with a damp cloth. If you get it just right it should stop the purplish tinge. Go too soon and you’ll wipe off the black marker, too late and the purplish tinge can’t be removed without removing the marker too with a solvent.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. Didn’t know it could be removed - wish I had when I first renovated some old LP covers!

Can always tell when someone covers something up with marker pen,
Me, i would get it re powder coated by a professional, should not cost that much,

Whatever you do don’t use Hammerite paint. It’s thick gloopy stuff. Great for rusty garden gates but would look horrible on hifi casework.

1 Like

Would be good to see pics of the case, @LeeT

Is it really dinged or just scratches etc?

1 Like

I will take a few pics in better light tomorrow. It’s not dings or scratches, the black looks worn off in patches. Maybe from over cleaning.

It needs completely re surfacing, rather than just patching up.