Nait 2, LP12, Kans Mk1 help

Thanks! I’m very pleased it worked. A chance conversation with a friend over Naim and Linn speakers of the mid eighties prompted the suggestion. I’m guessing the Kans’ top end is tamed while the mids are a bit richer when compared with your Grado.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I’d say the mids are richer. I think there also just seems to be more resolution, more dynamics. A slightly wider soundstage also. I look forward to listening more!

I think one issue I might currently have is that the turntable is on a very solid piece of furniture.
There is no option to mount the turntable on the wall or place on ikea furniture. But I could try add some sort of sound isolation plinth or feet beneath - do you think that would be of any benefit?

2 Likes

I’ve got the standard feet and baseboard on mine but my understanding is that Linn offer the Trampolin for situations such as yours. That’s the way I would go.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. I shall get that done in the future. Thanks.

1 Like

Quick question: Any idea how unsafe it would be to run without the baseboard? My LP12 has the original power supply I believe, so pre Valhalla.

1 Like

If you can keep fingers out, you will (should…?) be OK. IMO…

But YMMV… :thinking:

Clearly - Cannot Be Recommended :anguished:

1 Like

Okay thanks. Have just seen a lot of comments relating to the Valhalla being unsafe so thought I’d just double check with this version.

1 Like

Its no more or less unsafe than anything carrying Main Voltage (so 230V AC in the UK). The problem is that without the Baseboard, it would be possible to touch the PCB and its components, some of which have 230V AC on them.

LP12’s are often run sans baseboard during set up.
I have done this, when adjusting my (former, now sold) Valhalla - and I did not die… :expressionless:

YMMV… :astonished:

Makes sense! Perhaps best to fit the trampoline in that case :grinning:

1 Like

You do not actually have the standard Baseboard…??

Fit that, if you do.

I have an 80’s LP12 - despite have a Ittok, Kore and Lingo, its still got its original (*) baseboard… :slightly_smiling_face:

(* - and plinth, top plate, motor, lid and outer platter)

Sorry, yes I do have the standard baseboard but the LP12 is on a very solid sideboard (can’t really be moved from this location to keep everyone happy) so was looking at the trampolin for better SQ but noticed a lot people run them without any base, but perhaps that’s more so with external power supplies.

1 Like

My LP12 has been on a dedicated stand since… a long time ago.

As I said, I have the standard base board - and now run a Lingo 1 (serviced).

The latest price I have for the Linn Trampolin is £244-00 (Oct’23).

Its always possible to find someone who has done ‘X’ and then say it is ‘better’.
That is their opinion. No more - or less.

4 Likes

Very nice. Did you have Valhalla prior to the Lingo 1? Was it much of an upgrade sound-wise for you? I want to add a new PSU in the future.

Yes, I had Valhalla until Sept’21.

I just bought the Lingo 1 (as a pre-loved, un-serviced unit) - no comparisons were done.

I thought the uplift from Valhalla to Lingo 1 was substantial. I then followed it with a Trampolin 2 and Tiger Paw Tranquility, and was pleased with both of those. (Sondek is 1982/83 vintage, with a pre-Cirkus bearing.)

1 Like

It is unsafe because it doesn’t meet modern day safety standards, it also generates a lot of heat even when turned off, I would recommend the Valhalla Electronics Zeus instead over any Lingo.

1 Like

I replaced the Valhalla board with a Hercules II one on a 1987 LP12 and thought it worked really well. It gave the 45 rpm option too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info - that’s really helpful. But I have more questions now :blush:

So have you kept the original bearing - if so what was your thought process behind that? Is it because you’re using with vintage Naim gear?

Most people including Peter at Cymbiosis say that the the bearing is the largest upgrade and should be top of my list.

Great to know the Lingo 1 was an improvement in performance, as I’ll probably head down a similar route. Same with the Trampolin 2.

The Tiger Paw Tranquility I’ve never come across??

Bearing: I think it had one bearing change in about ‘84/85, but that was not a Cirkus. Never got around to a Cirkus: I understand that it would require a new sub-chassis. Interestingly when I had my Sondek checked over about 5 years ago, the guy doing it (another of the well known LP12 gurus) commented that he preferred the sound of the pre-Cirkus bearing anyway.

Got the Valhalla when it came out - the only thing I noticed was that it would not spin up when using the 45rpm adaptor, so for years we couldn’t play those Frankie Goes To Holly 12” singles! The Lingo 1 was s/h from the auction site and I fitted it myself. Ditto the Trampolin 1, then 2. And we could now play those FGtH 12”s.

The Tiger Paw Tranquility was an interesting idea, developed by a guy from another forum (or two - I think he has even posted here occasionally - and taken up by TP. The idea was to utilise repelling magnets, not to lift the inner platter, but to give it an upward force and thus ease the pressure on the business end of the bearing. Unfortunately TP are no longer trading (ill health, I believe).

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I guess we’re not all chasing the same sound but just what sounds best in your system and with your ears in your space with your compromises (or mine at least!)… lots of contrasting opinions of course :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like