Nait 5

Don’t expect the Nait 5 to go loud - unless you have very efficient loudspeakers.

This is the thing what differs the Nait 5 from the later Nait 5i - which can push much further.

The Nait 5 will stay refined, a gentleman all the times and will never loose that.

Also, when paired with inefficient loudspeakers, it will not be magical. Grey / boring.

Royd Sorcerers

Agreed to a point, I ran Dynaudio Audience 50’s with a NAIT 5 for a few years, While I wouldn’t say it was boring, switching up to a Supernait 1 was a massive improvement.

Give the chap a chance. He’s not got sound out of the Nait 5 yet…

Layton, The Nait 5 and Sorcerers should work nicely. Royd speakers were always a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Love Sorcerers…

1 Like

Thanks James, haha! Yes, I love them. They were made near me in Telford. I had some Minstrells (no not the chocolates, but they were sweet… Groan!) I love the transparency and sound staging of the Sorcerers. I listen to Baroque mainly, and they are great with that kind of music. You can now Bi wire them, I believe. When you look inside the back of the speaker either has a blob of soft rubber held in place with what appears to be the cardboard tube from a toilet roll, or the back is covered with pieces of Mrs. Acroyd’s old kitchen curtains! However! They work, and work superbly well!
I’ve used them with an original Cyrus One, but just fancied an upgrade. The Cyrus plus tuner will go on EBay. Next upgrade might be my Arcam 7cd player.

1 Like

Good stuff. I had original Rega Elas (Which IIRC used a Royd built bass unit) but they proved a bit too polite, Kans didn’t work in my room and Sinatras were just perfect. They lasted through University and a few house moves. Great speakers.

Enjoy your new setup. If you’re sticking with CD and looking to eventually replace your Arcam, it would be worth looking out for a late model CD5XS. A fine player.

1 Like

Thanks James, and thanks for the yedsup (as we say round here). I’ll investigate once I’ve solved the amplifier problem. That’s proving almost enjoyable to solve. Almost…!

@layton Has the postie been yet?

Hi Christopher, should be here tomorrow! Fingers crossed, I can’t think of anything else it could be.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Christopher,
Signal out A plug fitted. Still no light, dead. The seller assured me it was working, connected to a pre amp or power supply. If fact she sent me a photograph of it with the led lit. I’ve checked the small fuse at the rear, it’s ok. If you connect it to an external power supply or pre amp, do you have to change any connections inside the amp?

Can you post a photo here how it is connected, Layton?

No. Mike-b has posted a nice photo on this topic, and that is how it should be when running as a fully integrated amp.

So, you have all the links in place, as shown in this photo (ignore the blanking cover for the powered AUX2 input)?;

I wonder if the ribbon link might be damaged - the fragile ribbon was a weak spot and needed to be treated with care.

You’ve checked the inlet fuse - I would replace just to be sure, as sometimes they look OK even when blown. Make sure it is exactly the same type and rating of T fuse. Your Naim dealer should be able to supply.

Otherwise, maybe worth @NeilS having a quick read through just in case there’s anything we’ve missed here.

Hi Richard,
Yes, all in place as per your photograph. The link and plugs are brand new, but I’ll check their continuity later. Would the absence of these plugs stop the front led from coming on?
Thanks for your help,
Layton

Definitely don’t have to change anything inside the Nait 5 if you use an external psu.

I can only think of the fuse in your mains plug.

1 Like

Although I use a Nait 5 daily I haven’t used it with an external supply so don’t have any direct experience to relate. I wonder if something has blown with the internal power supply that is ‘masked’ if the unit is powered by an external supply??

Might be worth sending to Naim or Class A for a service/repair??

1 Like

That’s a bugger. Mains fuses aside, from what you say about it working with a preamp or external PSU and if the link plug Flexi PCB is ok then I wonder if the 24v pin on the Input socket is not working. A service will easily sort that out.

Thanks Christopher,
Well, I have checked that, and it’s ok. There seems nothing more externally that I can check. As it was installed by a dealer, which is now defunct, I just wonder if something inside has been disconnected, as it was powered by an external source. Unlikely, I suppose, but perhaps worth a look. I’m not going to send it to Naim at £230 plus £15 p&p, that’s more than I paid for it! Witchhat Acoustics in Sutton Coldfield will check it for £30. It can’t be much, I’d have thought, but then I’m an optimist!
Thanks again

Hi Svetty,
Hmm. At £230 plus £15 p&p from Naim I’d rather give up and get a refund!
Thanks.