Nait 5

Hi James,
24v pin? Do you mean 240v, or is there something I’m missing?
Thanks

There’s nothing to disconnect inside - at least not unless someone has been inside to do a bodge.

Obviously I can only recommend that you get it checked by an approved or authorised Naim dealer or servicer (AFAIK Witchhat are not approved by Naim). However, do check and change both fuses first, as that might be an easy fix.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard,
Thanks for the thought. Witchhat say their guys are Naim trained, whatever that means! There’s no guarantee to concern about, and I’m not paying £230 to Naim, I’d rather get a refund. I’ve asked the seller if she bought everything at the same time, to try and establish if the dealer might have messed around inside it. I’ll think about Witchhat. If they can pin point the problem, for £30, then if it’s something expensive I’ll get a refund.
Thanks

Layton, for what its worth, but I have been fiddling with my Nait 5 connections a few weeks ago with external powersupplies, poweramps et cetera. I could not get it working. I just disconnected it all and reconnected it once again … et voila, it suddenly worked. I would give it another try.

Hi Layton,

The Input socket has a 24v output which provides a single 24v power rail to Signal Out B. This powers the pre-amp section of the Nait 5 via the flexi link plug.

The same happens if you connect a Naim power amp which has an internal pre-amp power supply (say a NAP200) - this again would connect to Signal Out B. Amps with an internal pre-amp supply can provide a single 24v rail.

If you use an external power supply ( eg Flatcap) this can provide two 24v rails to power the Nait 5 pre-amp. In this case you’d use Signal Out A which can accept the two 24v rails.

When used as an integrated amp or with a suitable Naim power amp, the link plug in Signal Out A just joins these two rails together to utilise the single 24v rail provide by the Input Socket on the Nait 5 or power amp respectively.

Hi Ardbeg10y,
I’ve cleaned the pins but still nothing. I thought I’d see if there is anything obvious inside. If you remove the rubber feet does the case slide off?
Thanks

Have you pushed the mains lead in firmly? Serious question.

C.

Hi Christopher, yes I have, until it won’t go any further. I can’t get it repaired for less than £260 so I’m going to return it for a refund. Unfortunate, because I’ve spent £35 on the link and plug and £20 on leads. Oh well, let the buyer beware, as they say!
Thanks for all your advice, to you and the rest of the guys on here.
Regards, Layton

1 Like

Thanks. I’m gutted for you and I should think we all are. I so wanted this to be right for you.

Best, Chris

It should be an easy fix - give witch hat a go.

If it does go back, keep an eye out for a pre loved Nait XS which again will work nicely with your Royds.

Hope you get sorted either way

James

1 Like

Seconded

Hi James,
£30 for diagnosis, £260 to fix. I don’t think so. That makes £530 for a 5. I think refund, then look for another.
Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated!
Layton

1 Like

Thanks!

Bit late to the party, but FWIW the rectifying diodes for the preamp power supply may have gone open circuit. These are discrete & were a bit of a weak point in the Nait5. We fit uprated diodes now.
That would cause no operation as a stand alone unit, but would work with an external supply.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Yes but still a welcome party guest, NeilS. It’s apparently never been used on its own. Set up by a dealer, I did wonder if they had done anything to the circuitry as it has always been used with a psu.
Cheers

I’d speak to Darran at Class A in Sheffield. He is cheaper than Naim and is fully authorised. He will use proper Naim parts for any bits that need replacing.

Thanks. I’ll have a think about it. I don’t want to spend a lot on it. I’ll see what he charges.

Thanks Chris, I sent this yesterday but I don’t think it got to the site. You guys are really nice! I feel like I’ve made some good friends here already. I’ll be on the look out for another Nait 5 once I’ve hopefully got my refund.
thanks for everything, everyone!

Les

3 Likes

Hi Chaps,
Firstly, thanks again for all the help and advice. Once I’ve got my refund I’ll be looking for another. I saw this on EBay.
A 5Si. I’ve haven’t a clue about the nomenclature of the various models.

Currently at £155. Presumably better than a 5? Worth a punt?
Thanks Layton

After the last experience can you go hear it work before you buy?
otherwise paying and getting one from a dealer might be safer