Nait 50 speakers

Bad Company & The Who.

Yes, I would pick another amp as well.
I wouldn’t enjoy listening to The Who at lower levels.

And if you are in a larger area, or listen at distance, or have speakers needing power, the Nait 50 is not the amp either.

imo.

2 Likes

Sounding brilliant, original pressing, bought on day of release. PMCs seem so well matched to this kind of music

8 Likes

One of my music preferences. Listening at low volume and with a listening distance of about 6 feet.

2 Likes

You’ve pinched my Amp & CDP. :scream: :wink: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yes, snap! They go together rather well, anything to be gained by reversing location as you have?

1 Like

I get your point Mikee - I certainly wouldn’t be blasting Bad Company or The Who at high volume through the Nait 50

In different locations I have 3 Naim amplifier combinations

252/SCDR/250DR

SN3/HICAPDR

NAIT 50

Each serve their own purpose

1 Like

@Mikee
Nothing really I’ve always had my gear that way volume at the top etc.
Just before I get bludgeoned for suggesting like I usually do.
Amp away from power supplies .
Easy to access for cable dressing too.
Might I suggest you try RCA leads instead of the Dins
You have to select the output on the CDP with the remote.
I found it an outstanding upgrade in depth and detail and another friend of mine did the very same.
Here is the whole rack. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Good point about the power supplies, might try swapping over. I do have a HiCap on the lowest shelf though. Will have a go and let you know.
I have tried the cable change and tend to agree with you.

1 Like

Thank you it’s very obvious much more depth and weight I thought the Din lead was deaf and it doesn’t have to be fancy RCA leads.
I better let this thread get back to Nait 50 speakers I thought it was the Nait 50 thread Ooops. :+1:t2:

1 Like

That, and while everyone tweaks the loading for their MC, they often won’t for their MM and just plug an any old cable they have lying around without checking the capacitance of it.

And, if I’m not mistaken, Grado are the inventors of the MC cartridge, yet they no longer make them. Favouring MI instead.

As others have pointed out, this is not correct (anymore). This was once true, before neodymium magnets came on the scene, but nowadays MM has less moving mass. But before that, MI was already invented to tackle this, having less moving mass than MC.

Note that some carts, like the Ortofon 2M range, while marketed as MM are actually MI.

1 Like

Well moving magnet is not really the same as moving iron although there are similarities. Moving magnet the magnets move on the vibrating cantilever - so add the mass (although is tiny) to the cantilever - although this mass can be brought down to very low levels, but MC can be brought down to even lower levels too now. With moving iron the magnets and coils are fixed - and the induction field between the two is varied by the movement of ferrous metal attached to the cantilever, however the signal levels and impedance matching are similar to that of MM so I understand.
At the end of the day you choose what you prefer the sound of. For the sound I like I tend to find MC provides my preferable character due to its generally smaller inertia/momentum like for like for other cartridge types at non exotic price points… but MM certainly can provide a warmer more organic sound that is pleasing to listen to . I can’t remember recently listening to a high end MI cartridge unlike for MM and MC. I was not particularly impressed with the Ortofon range for my tastes - upto Black - but that was to my tastes - not an overall verdict on technical capability
Each to their own… and perhaps in an ideal world you would have two arms - one MM and one MC.

I think the key thing at the end of the day is the amount of power any cartridge type generates - the more power the more work it has to do - hence why on fine cartridges the amp input impedance becomes so critical.

1 Like

How though? Aren’t the coils still either copper or silver?

If you can provide evidence of this I’d be interested, because as far as I’m aware, it’s MM & MI that provide generally smaller inertia/momentum, not MC. Even if, as you claim, there’s nowadays a few revolutionary MC cartridges where they’ve managed to lower it significantly.

Actually it was Holger Christian Arentzen in 1948 who invented the first Moving Coil cartridge which led to the first MC Ortofon patent.

I would love to hear the current Orotofon MC Diamond cartridge - even if just for curiosity.

3 Likes

I stand corrected. Indeed, Grado had the first Stereo MC, but indeed not the first MC. Thank you, I didn’t realise.

1 Like

As far as I can gather materials are constantly developing. So Neodymium magnets are usually created as alloys of neodymium with boron and ferromagnetic metals like iron, and with coils compounds like extremely pure copper and gold such are used to help conductivity and purity, so smaller coils … my point being that materials are constantly evolving to make them more fit for the purpose being intended.

I guess, so maybe they’re lighter than they used to be? But I haven’t seen anything to suggest that an MC has less moving mass than MI nowadays. I would also guess the same constant evolution takes place there and unless there was something more revolutionary MI still has the least moving mass, followed by MM and MC having the most. I think without any evidence to the contrary we will have to keep assuming that’s the case.

But as with the MC invention I’m happy to be proven wrong.

Some loudspeaker coils use aluminium instead of copper wire to reduce weight. Maybe a similar approach is cartridge coils is possible?

possibly though aluminium is only about as 60% as conductive as copper I have just read - and I would have thought for very ultra light weight coils ultra pure copper would be preferable. Better conductivity means smaller and therefore lighter coils are possible… but I am not involved with this sort of product design - I am sure there are many other considerations

I mentioned it purely because I was talking to a Dynaudio rep a few months ago and he happened to mention that they prefer Al in many of their voice coils because of the reduced mass helps improve transients. I can only guess that the same principle might apply in cartridge design given that it’s more or less the same technology working in reverse.

Got the Harbeth Super HL5 set up now. I’ll set the turntable up tomorrow. For now, it’s the Limetree Network player and NAIT 50 teaming up. Only played a few tracks so far but wow - impressive!

4 Likes