Nait 50 speakers

Some Australian cricketers could be likened to a fish with a big mouth - think Ricky Ponting!

I was once reduced to tears of laughter watching a Test, where Mr Ponting was run out trying to take a casual single, but hadn’t taken into account that England had a lightning fast twelfth man on the pitch. Ponting was chirping profanities all the way back to the changing room!

3 Likes

I know the clip, as an aside I will send you ( if I can find it ) the review of the Nait 50 and in the same issue are the new PMC monitors , which I think would be an ideal accompaniment to the Nait 50.

Not alone in thinking that as one high street chain is combining it with the Nait 50 as a package.

I haven’t heard the new PMc monitors, the previous ones, to my ears, had a coarse unattractive high end, and to my brain smeared horribly… but I hear things have improved now.

I did try a couple Dynaudio speakers with the Nait50, Evoke 20 and Special 40. Both I was disappointed with the Nait50. Bass felt over weight, and the mids often seemed to get quite recessed, and the high end didn’t seem to produce a clear field or resolution.
They sounded initially impressive, but gave way to irritation. I tried into different environments including home. Shows the importance of trialling.

The Nait50 so far, at least to my tastes, excels with fast thin walled / under damped speakers with a good mid response.

3 Likes

I have a virtually unused Olive NAIT2, which has been sitting around for at least ten years now. It might be instructive to swap that for the new NAIT50, but I’m not sure if I could cope with switching all the cables and inputs. In theory, the NAIT2 should increase the maximum volume available, but I wonder about that.

1 Like

The Nait50 at least only has two line level inputs… I know what you mean, but as far as it goes the Nait50 is easy to setup and move around :grinning:

Other than the LS3/5a variants, the ProAc D2/r and the Trenner & Freidl Art are on my list to audition.

2 Likes

This is a long shot, but the original NAIT drove a pair of QUAD ESL57s superbly!

1 Like

May be try without some of the room treatment? Difficult to say without testing how it all reacts?

Definitely planning to try the Nait 50 with the Martens, I am quite curious and will do very soon. Wanted to give it just a bit more run in time and waiting for a couple of interconnects and the NVC phono stage to organise a small bonanza fun home audition of RCA to DIN, XLRs and the NVC Naim phono stage for testing.

i saw a Naim Statement system with Marten Coltrane speakers. But not heard…only by Youtube.

A decent pairing I imagine : ))

1 Like

Thanks very much, garcon. The room treatment I have is from GIK Acoustics. They have analysed my situation. The reverberation time has been reduced to a norm level and the sound increase was very big. It seems balanced to me.
And it’s not that I’m generally dissatisfied with the Nait50. The step forward compared to the Atom was immense and I really enjoy the system.
And it would be great to hear about the Marten Oscar’s impressions. But the Christmas period is often the time of year when things are at their most stressful. There’s no rush.

1 Like

I am not sure what you mean by maximum volume but the Nait 2 is 18-20 watts/channel into 8 ohms. Mine measured at 18 watts. The Nait 50 is 25 watts/channel into an 8 ohm speaker load.

I don’t notice any power difference between the two on my speakers, which would make sense given the small difference. There are differences but I would attribute to the different designs rather than power output.

Btw, the Nait 2 has always been a recommended amp for the original Quad. I can confirm as I have this combo and the pairing works great. It also provides safeguard against overdriving the Quads.

1 Like

I have both the CB Nait 2 and the Nait 50

In real life playing music there is a massive difference even though wattage supposedly according to you Kolner not much difference

It’s not only about the watts there is so much more the Nait 50 brings to the party

3 Likes

Hi - Is it possible to elaborate on what you perceive the NAIT 50 does (much?) better than the NAIT 2 please?
Thanks.

Everything - it’s in a different league

2 Likes

Wow - would you say the same vs SN3 ?

The SN3 adds more “weight” and “body” to the overall sound ( I have the SN3 also)

The SN3 is having a lie down at the moment ( last 3 months or so ) , I’m enjoying the Nait 50 so much

7 Likes

That is what counts the most- enjoying the music. I hope they put one in standard production but with a remote control and an extra Aux in/out DIN. I would like to audition one. Thank you for your thoughts!

2 Likes

Just playing my newly received copy of the 2023 vinyl reissue of Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard which I received today. Feel free to dismiss my findings which are made via my temporary Wharfedale 9.1, but I’m encountering great touch and interplay from the trio. Roll on LS3/5a…

4 Likes

Good to know and I’m very familiar with Nait 2, I often think how stupid I was buying such expensive item as Nait 50 - then I will think about your post :blush:

2 Likes