Nait xs 2 vs supernait 3

This is where I’ve finally come recently. It’s pretty astounding to say the least, but it is a costly proposition. Although I say that, I am pretty confident that this will be my last source upgrade in the foreseeable future. As good as the SN2 is, separates will surely bring out their best from what I understand from others’ experiences. The Integrated is likely a ‘bottleneck’ detracting some from its full potential.

There is a huge amount to discuss, not argue about.

In this case, you have an opinion, based on limited but not full technical information.

Opinions are fine and welcome, but they need to be expressed as such - not as ‘the full facts’

I’m not so sure, I would say that the NDX2 (bare) is perhaps just a tiny bit on the ‘source first’ side, but still very well balanced.
Put a PSU on it, and the NDX2 then holds its own with systems around the 282/250 or 252/300 level, and some of its talents then become lost with a Supernait, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not a system that would make sense for some.

1 Like

I think the XS2 is/was the hidden gem of the range. A beguiling, powerful and fun amp with plenty of poke and just gets you involved in the tunes. I’ve not heard a SN3, so this is just my 2p, but I’ve kept mine and will not sell it. It’s a fantastic amp.

5 Likes

Clare true but equally you can’t judge performance on price alone as is quite often the sermon around here. If that were the case you wouldn’t be pairing a £16k TT, even one with the magic of Stonehenge bestowed upon it, with £150k amps :wink:

1 Like

I remember two members that found the Nait xs2 , or 3, as being more involving vs the SN3. There was a thread on it. Should be interesting to find that thread.

Probably results of room interaction?

Full hissyfit mode! But look at this way you and I are both fortunate enough to have £10k ish digital source components and Nat 05s (about £1k). Now you and I both know how good the Nat 05 is in comparison.

I couldn’t agree more re judging things on price alone. Or Watts per channel. Or any single element.

4 Likes

fwiw, I had the opportunity to listen to my CD5 through a serviced Nait 3, Nait 5si and a NAC/NAP combination that I unfortunately do not recall the details of. All through Neat Motive floorstanders. I heard improvements (mostly in the bass iirc) every step of the way. It sounded the best through the NAC/NAP combination. Definitely worth a listen to the SN3 in my opinion.

1 Like

having been through XS2 to SN2 then SN3 in a year, with nd5xs2 as source i can confidently say that te SM3 is a big step up but a different presentation to the XS2 . The SN3 brings control, authority and refinement but id say the XS2 is more upfront, lively but coarser sounding. Bit like comparing a pup with a mature dog, both great companions but a pup can be a little harder to live with.

8 Likes

I have a Nait xs3 and ND5xs2 with ProAcs 148. Would you consider something like Chord Qutest an upgrade?
If I was to only change one component in my set up and stay there for 1/2 years what should I do: better amp (SN3)?, better source (NDX2 - that seems to good for xs3 I think), outboard DAC? Speakers?

This is a good description which is generally applicable when going from low to high level gear.

1 Like

I know you didn’t ask me!

It is a fairly frequent comparison here between ND5 XS2&Qutest vs NDX2. Considering the difference in cost I would be tempted by the Qutest.

Not sure if you run multiple sources, but if so then SN3 would bring about a change in the sound reproduced from all of them.

Finally a point made by Steve from Naim elsewhere made me think recently, Naim make their devices for the long term, support is exemplary. Not saying Chord support isn’t good, but the point reminded me why I buy Naim, I know the thing will be running in 20 years. In these times of the throwaway culture, that means a lot to me… so if a NDX2 is in budget, regardless of the cost difference over the Qutest, and notwithstanding I know very little about long term Chord device supportability, I might be tempted to go that route, and treat myself to a SN3 in a couple of years.

SN3 or NDX2 is hardly a decision with a wrong answer though :wink:

4 Likes

the biggest problem - price :wink:
NDX2 is mucho more expensive than SN3!

1 Like

@Groove_system, hi! I think @gthack is on the money here, IMO. You have a wonderful system there, too, and the ProAc 148s are excellent speakers. ‘Better’ will be subjective, of course, but if it were me I would without any reservation be looking at a Qutest, or I should be saying that I would highly recommend one. It would bring your ND5 XS2 to NDX2 level SQ-wise. After having gone through a few iterations, this is what I’ve found. I wouldn’t spend money on the NDX2 unless I was planning on getting an XPS-DR or 555 PSU to feed it. Your streamer is in Naim’s sweet spot, I think. Add a quality outboard DAC and it becomes something truly great. It wouldn’t even have to be a Qutest; it could be an nDAC, too.

Many here would say you no longer have a Naim streamer if you added the Chord, but these are subtleties. The Qutest is an amazing DAC that really opens up the window into recordings and is just so engaging. Bags of detail from top to bottom, very ‘fast’ character, dead accurate. What’s not to love?

3 Likes

Chord is very much in the same league as Naim, in that they are entirely UK based, and they design and make all of their products in house. Their service and support is excellent. There may be any number of reasons to stick with Naim, but this is not one of them.

3 Likes

Ta for that, I wasn’t sure, or at least I wasn’t as sure about their reputation in comparison to Naim’s. I should have clarified a bit, the decision making process it changed for me was the next step “down” as it were:

a n.other “cheap” streamer into Chord DAC - I’ve decided to eschew that option and will likely plump for an ND5 XS2 when I properly add streaming to my system. But will wait until I can afford one. Meantime I do run a 2nd hand Hugo (with my phone as streaming source) which is well built and had a replacement set of batteries organised by the previous owner.

Hope that doesn’t all sound too contradictory!?

4 Likes

sounds good! I had chord mojo once which I regret selling. I remeber very good tonal quality, details and other aspects. It was connected between auralic aries mini and nait 5si.

So let me think about qutest. I’m also looking into power supplies for xs3.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re already familiar with the Chord sound. The Qutest will just give you more of it, I would assume.
If looking for a PSU into the XS3, the HiCap-DR is the one. It’ll take the Integrated into the stratosphere. It did when I owned the XS2.

2 Likes