Name my Naim upgrade!

So here’s the rub. A rather expensive holiday just cancelled so have £5-6k (ish) to spend on new kit or partial upgrade. Currently:
Rega RP3
Naim Unitiqute 2 + Nap 100
Dynaudio DM2/7 speakers
Really want stay Naim/Dynaudio focused, and happy to keep TT as is as only using rarely. I live 2 minute walk from Acoustica in Chester, so demo-ing from there. Any ideas much appreciated!

What comes to my mind is a superNait 3 plus streamer - I have just bought one to replace a unitiqute (no 100 with it though) and an NDX. I have been pleased with the improvement (of course at £4k I should be - though I got the SN3 and NDX both at cracking prices)

I would like an NDX2 but that’s a lot more money. An ND5XS2 would be possible with SN3 for your budget (but my ndx was a lot cheaper) - but I haven’t listened to one. Pete at acoustica should be able to suggest something alternative and also offer you px on the uq/100 if you want to add that in

2 Likes

Nova & 250DR (trading in UQ2/100)?

1 Like

Nova+Dyn Special 40

2 Likes

I went UQ2 NAP100 to the Nova, and also have SN2 and NDX2 with power supplies. I’d either go Nova or use a SN2/3 with the UQ2 before getting a Naim streamer.

2 Likes

Rebook the holiday

2 Likes

They offered that, but a year is a long time.

Thanks, will go and have a chat with Pete and see what he thinks.

1 Like

It looks as if there may be a significant lack of capacity next year in the holiday business

What you might consider is any future upgrade plans. If this is just a one time upgrade then a Nova might be just the answer. But if you want flexibility for the future I would consider ND5XS/SN3.

But the demos will tell you a lot.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

And my prediction is that means once travel opens up, and for quite some time thereafter, prices are likely to be a lot higher than they used to be - the current cheap offers are to try to get some people to commit now or travel at a time of high risk.

The tricky thing is getting a balance between expenditure on ‘things’ that give pleasure now and hopefully into the long term, and experiences that give pleasure at the time and memories into the long term. Also relevant is balancing with whether or not you will still be able to enjoy doing them in the future (e.g fitness to travel as you get older vs deteriorating ears). And maybe consideration of these can help decisions as to whether or when to do either.

3 Likes

At the back of my mind i was erring towards an Atom/Dyn 40 special ed combo…just not sure it will be *significantly * better than current setup?
I’ll need a ‘side by side’ to tell i guess, but thanks for advice guys its appreciated.

SN3 + ND5 XS2 might be worth a look given your budget, gives you some headroom for evolving it later down the line.

2 Likes

If you are happy to go for used and you can stretch to around 6k

NDAC, 82/supercap, nap 135s for ultimate performance for the money

1 Like

Seen a Uniti Star for £2400, so px Qute2, keep NAP 100 and new Dyn 40s? Or will 100 let the side down?

Not sure what the NAP 100 would bring to that Star party!
Let it go, get a Nova if you’re thinking in that direction. You can always add a NAP 250 to that down the road.

3 Likes

Atom is basically a UQ2 with a better screen. Small gain in stream section . I would not say a major gain compared with what you have. I would choose a Nova. Better in all areas and same presentation aesthetically. ( all in one).
I eard nova with special 40 once. Liked a lot.

1 Like

The Atom is different to/better than the UQ2 in many ways. The screen is arguably not one of them.

1 Like

Nait 2

2 Likes

Not major gains , to my ears.
Don’t get me wrong Chris: I love the Atom. But I don’t see a great Step fwd , Over the UQ2

1 Like