NAP 135 with NAC 82

I completely agree with you there @graham55.

The 52/sc 135’s are extraordinary amps. These days they also represent astonishing VFM. The only amps I’ve heard that could tempt me to move on are the 552/500, but the uptick in SQ does not justify todays prices. Not such great VFM imo.

So I will stick with 52/sc 135’s and be content.

Just to stay on thread, I still have my 82 which I slot in to the system occasionally for a change, and I use either a Hicap or supercap with it. Sounds great but the 52 is head and shoulders above it in my system.

3 Likes

I found going from 2x HiCap to Supercap to be a massive improvement, one of the biggest step changes I ever encountered in the Naim hierarchy. If the OP can afford it, I would sidestep the HiCap and go straight to Supercap. And as others have said, this opens up the possibility of a NAC52 in the future, if that were the desired goal.

5 Likes

The 52 is almost always sold WITH a supercap (or 52ps) and the OP would then have two supercaps.

Then he could sell one of the Supercaps. It’s unlikely that he’d lose much, or any, money on the deal.

Nac 82 can use 2x Supercaps,but I prefer one Supercap on the Prefix or Superline and one on the Nac 82.

1 Like

As I suggested in post 8, adding however, that this might slow his upgrade progress down a bit. OP’s choice though, and good for him to know all the options.

Definitely concur

sometimes i find it really mad on here. hes asked about a hicap and hes being talked into a whole new system.

using the 135’s with an 82 will be much better than a 180 on the same 82, especially with the hicap upgrade on the pre

4 Likes

It is their way :man_shrugging:

I see no issues with this, just different possibilities, I am currently also contemplating which PSU to go for for my “odd” NAC82/SN2 combo, and based on many suggestions on this forum I will most probably go for a SC. The difference between a HC and a SC is only around 500 GBP, I remember me spending much more than that for a significantly less of an upgrade, so it is the better choice apparently according to most folk that have went through the HC/SC route on an 82.

2 Likes

I do understand what people are saying, i have used a supercap dr on a 282 and that was awesome. I just think its a bit poo that people are suggesting the who system needs changing because the power amplifier has been upgraded. thats all i meant

4 Likes

With such an expensive and revealing power amp like the Nap 135’s,I don’t think it’s wrong to suggest a Supercap for the Nac 82.

2 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting a full system change, just relating my experience regarding power supply options. He has upgraded the power amplifiers, which means he needs a power supply, which could be either one or two HiCaps or a Supercap. The S/C option is just so much better. That was my point.

4 Likes

yea i know mate, im saying in general. people have said to buy a 52, supercap and an ndx2!lol

I just mean overall.

might aswel just get rid of the 135’s and get a 500dr using the same logic

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!
I will have to see which one comes along first (HC / SC / 52&SC)
Meanwhile I will have to wait awhile longer before I can hear the 135s sing.

But I know the end game will the 52 with 135s…

2 Likes

Good ,as always when buying second hand,go for what you find first as you have done with the Nap 135’s,balancing the system can be done later.

3 Likes

I have had an 82 (from new) with 2 HiCaps (2nd hand) and 135s (ex demo) also for nearly 30 years. I had the HiCaps and 135s serviced (for the 2nd time) recently and recapped and they are stunning and worth every penny of the service. You might want to think about your connection leads too. I replaced all of them and I am sure this had made a difference too. I will think about a move to a 52/Supercap and probably a streamer (that is another topic) but whilst I still get enjoyment out of the current system there is no great urge. Its also not as easy to source 52s here in Switzerland as it is in the UK :frowning: I am sure you will have a great many years enjoyment with whatever you get to make your current system sing.

4 Likes

My two pennies worth!?
I have currently 82/supercap/135s
I have moved through from
82/HiCap/180
82/2 x HiCap/180
82/2 x HiCap/135s
82/Supercap/135s
I think certainly the biggest improvement was 180 → 135s as one would expect !?
The move from 2 x HiCap to Supercap was both tidier and a good move!
Not sure where I will/would head next - not keen in parting with a sum for a 20-30yr old 52, hints on here seem to exclude 252???
I am thinking of updating the source - not decided yet…

4 Likes

Don’t worry about the age of old Naim amps. My understanding is that once serviced by Naim or Class A, they are as good as new. If properly maintained, they should out last our generation.

8 Likes

I ran 135s with an 82 for quite a few years, and loved the combination. Had a lot of life and snap!
Having said that the 135s with a 52 bring even more to the table - it’s a system you can keep for life :blush::sunglasses:

8 Likes