NAP 135 with NAC 82

I struggled to find one also, but ended up getting one in Italy. They do come up if you are patient!

3 Likes

I have always rated the 252 and I honestly think Naim would not have released it if they didnā€™t feel it improved on the 52. It gets a rough ride at times in this place which I simply donā€™t get, not that it mattersā€¦

3 Likes

eBay suggests that a 252 costs well over Ā£4K, while a serviced POTS8 52 can be found for less than half that.

IMHO, the 52 with POTS8 and a service in recent years has a bit more boogie than a 252, but itā€™s a fine line and Iā€™d accept that a 252 is probably a touch more accurate.

I suspect that the real reason there are so many of us 52 fans here is that significant cost difference, and that those with several olive boxes may not want to mix in one black Classic box.

5 Likes

Agreed!

3 Likes

There is also a certain nostalgia and class to the older kit. And in todayā€™s world of newest is best, it feels great to sit back and listen to how brilliant 20+ year stuff still sounds.

5 Likes

I have a 52 original remote that I never use.

I just use one of the later remotes, which controls a 52 perfectly.

2 Likes

Why on Earth not?

2 Likes

I think itā€™s that the 52 and 252 sound different so personal preference comes into play. Improvement can take amps into a different place and some (like me) prefer a slightly less detailed (some say less clinical) sound. I think there is a point where the detail can get in the way of the music, for me anyway.

2 Likes

When I decided to buy the 52 it coincided with the Classic range being released. It was either buy a second hand 52 or order the 252. Never regretted that decision Paul. I would concede the 52 looks better. Each to their own on sq of course but I thought at the time the difference between them was minuscule in all honesty. This place encourages the notion that things are more different than they really are in my view. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny isnā€™t it? I think that the 252 actually looks better than the 52 :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Just the feeling that things do wear out I suppose ?

Iā€™m with Stuart - 52 trumps it in the looks dept :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a vague memory of reading that the NAC52 was ruinously time-consuming to build, and that one reason for the switch to the NAC252 was that it was much easier (and less time-consuming) to build. the successor model. But Iā€™ve never been able to check this anywhere.

Does anyone else remember anything about this?

(Oh, and FWIW, I agree that the 52 is far more aesthetically pleasing than the 252.)

1 Like

Seems like Iā€™m in the aesthetic minority here :grin:.

You just have to look at the internals to see that the 252 should be easier and quicker to put together. Simpler and more elegant looking. The 52 has stacked circuit boards and extra boards around the pots and controls. More industrial looking. I prefer the look of the 52 internals though :joy:

You have the advantage over me there, as Iā€™ve always heeded Naimā€™s advice not to open up the black boxes to have a peek inside my NAC52.

I donā€™t recall ever even seeing an NAC252,

You donā€™t need to open the case to look inside; there are plenty of internal images on-line.

I noticed someone quick suggested going straight to Statement S1.
:smile:

The old 82 should in any case be serviced if never done.
Not sure anyone said Nac 32.5 ?
Thats a nice preamp too and value goes one way only, up.
Same with 52ā€™s if you can find one, Iā€™d not hesitate with any vintage of these.

I had a late 72 up against a 82.
Long back but vaguely remember I went with the 72.

3 Likes

I still have an 82 boxed up amongst other stuffā€¦ I must get it out and give it a spin sometime :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And in 1989, this was the top end of Naim.

2 Likes

Having heard an 82 with 135ā€™s I donā€™t think there should be any need to be concerned.

I successfully used a HiCap DR with my 282 with a 300 which isnā€™t that different although as others have said a Supercap will be better as I found out when I upgraded.

Whilst the recommendations of using a 52 are honourable we should remember that when the 135ā€™s were released the 32.5 was Naims top pre-amp.

10 Likes