Nap 250DR or Proac D2R

Gosh with all the Proac users here, surprising there isn’t a “Show us your Proac’s” thread lol

2 Likes

Thank you all for your time and valuable advice, now I’m absolutely clear and sure what will be my next upgrade would be. I was surprised to see that there was not a single vote for nap 250 dr and the advice was non biased and true in favour a music, as a gear head myself I really appreciated. Now as the decision is been made which stands do you guys recommend.

This is the pic I posted in the “view from the listening position” thread. As you see I plumped for SolidSteel S5 and they sound really good.

Others like the high-mass Target stands. It’s what works for you I guess. I’m also pleased with the RELs. They are really dialled down and just supply that extra low end.

7 Likes

Yes, but at the time of the upgrade I had a HiCap DR with my SN 2. The response was addressing the OP question with his current system and possible upgrades moving forward.

1 Like

I tried some D2Rs for a while, and they did sound very good. At my dealers I heard them with a Supernait 2 which was certainly able to drive them. I took his demo pair home, and my 250DR did a much better job of driving them, as you would expect. I really wanted to like them, but my dealer warned me that they really needed plenty of space behind them and to the sides, and he was right. My listening room is smaller than his demo room, and I just couldn’t get them sounding right, so I passed.
I’m told that the original D2 are less fussy than the D2R with its ribbon tweeters, but I never had chance to hear them.

1 Like

Great photo!! I’ve heard good things about adding the REL subwoofers. Sounds like the OP just needs to add speakers! :-). This comment made me smile from you “I could have bought the D20rs for much the same money …”. I remember thinking the exact same thing.

I use HMS 2X Atacama stands

1 Like

I join @Dan_M for his advise : Nac 282 . The best upgrade in the OP case. Then XPS dr for the Ndx2. Then 250 dr. When these 3 upgrades are realised, choose carefully the right speakers for that system and room. The most difficult choice.

1 Like

The ribbon tweeter on the ProAc makes it the best choice. I think you will find the bass on the D2R more tuneful and musical. Proper stands are essential.

A HiCap on your SN3 will also bring great benefit and would be my next upgrade. This will help with a future preamp/power amp upgrades in the future.

2 Likes

The MA,s have a very distinct ‘in your face’ sound signature. Personally when i was running an Arcam amplifier, well known for being a bit laid back, combined wlth MA Silvers it was brilliant. As soon as i brought a Naim source and better quality amplification it was all a bit much! And listening fatigue became an issue.

I have not heard another speaker with similar characteristics to the MAs so if thats what you love stick to it and maybe move to some MA golds! However if you crave a change in sound and an uplift an SQ spending 3k will get you there.

2 Likes

Hate when this happens. A balanced system should give you hours upon hours of listening pleasure.

2 Likes

I found that the MA are kind of forward I had a pair of the Gold XX small monitors, got tiring to listen to.

2 Likes

@BackToNaim Although you have a very nice Mercedes, it has shopping cart wheels mate.

Your Silvers are nice speakers but nowhere near matching the rest of your system. You could add 5 more black boxes and still wont address the core of your problem.

Change the speakers bud.

6 Likes

Thank you all fellow naimees for the valuable advice and steering me in to the right direction. Just to update, I received my Proac D2R now and the stands from Atacama HMS 2X are on order and will hopefully arriving in a week or two, I will update once the stands are received and how it goes, I cannot wait till then to start listening to my new toy.
Thank you again to the lovely members.

16 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous, BTN!
Makes me envious.

2 Likes

I would like to have advice on the use of jumper cables or should I leave the supplied links in place.

This is probably your best option.

IMG_5095

4 Likes

Damn you beat me to it!!

2 Likes

Dude you’re going to LOVE your new setup. Just remember they do take time to break-in. Also one thing to consider is adding some filler to your new stands (no rush). I filled mine about 2/3 with Atacama Atabites stand fillers. Amazingly heavy stuff. Again no rush as speaker placement and break-in is likely more important.

IIRC first week or so they sounded a little bright, after a week they sounded great, then after 6 months they seemed to jump again in SQ.

My advice is not to do everything all at once. Take your time then you can ‘fine-tune’ your system.

4 Likes

My dealer struggled to do the F connection with NACA5 and I’m certainly not skilled enough.
I use Chord signature jumper leads configured the “Skeptical” way as below - works for me.
Speakers look great and I do wonder if I should have gone for them….

4 Likes

I also have chord signature jumpers which I’m using with monitor audio, good to know that I can use those on my Proacs.

2 Likes