Nap 250DR or Proac D2R

When I had jumpers I also tried it this way. I thought at the time it sounded marginally better. I think I tried every combo I could including going back to the default ‘bars’. There’s a thread on this somewhere but honestly once I had my dealer configure the F-mount I found this was the best by far.

1 Like

Yes I agree the F connection/mount would be my preference too (cheaper😁).
My post was to say if not possible there are other solutions available.
I’ll be honest I wouldn’t like my chances of picking out the connection types on a blind test!

2 Likes

Excellent speaker choice. The ProAc ribbon tweeter sets this speaker apart from the competition. As noted above they will take time to run-in. The ribbon tweeters on my K6’s took months before I started hearing the magic. Jumpers are also a worthy tweak as are a set of Isoacoustic’s Gaia feet for the stands.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

With ProAc speakers I had my dealer add the bi-link arrangement with my NAC A5 speakers.

4 Likes

Atacama HMS 2X arrived today and all set however I have an issue when I connect my REL T9i subwoofer thru speakers I have distorted sound thru the speakers which are not present when connected to monitor audio all other equipment and accessories being equal. Without connecting subwoofer there is no distortion whatsoever, Is anybody having the same issue as mine.

PS: Black cable to negative and yellow to positive on left speaker and red to the positive to the right speaker.

@Fifty-Fifty do you have any experience with only one SUB connected?

3 Likes

Looking good! Is this the Rosewood finish?

1 Like

Thank You, It is walnut finish.

1 Like

Are your subwoofer cables connected at the amp end or the speaker end?

Speakers end as connected earlier.

Hmmm. I haven’t come across that. My first though is to turn down the volume of the REL to zero. Is the distortion still there? No? Then advance to just 2 or 3 clicks to see when it kicks in.
My experience with the T9i is that the volume needs to be much lower than you might expect. The ProAcs generate reasonable bass for a stand-mounter and it will fill out as they run in. I found myself reducing the bass volume several clicks over the first year of ownership. As I have two of them, I disconnected the yellow wire at each speaker to allow more control of bass output.

1 Like

Thank you for your time, the distortion was only present on the Proac speaker where there was no negative connected from rel, I then only connected one speaker to the rel with red and yellow both twisted to the positive and problem is solved, I think there is something to do with the electric properties of the Proac speakers where it needs the negative as well for the second speaker.

@Fifty-Fifty just to have an idea, how many clicks did you have on your cross over setting for rel t9i?

I’ve had bass issues with my room which was the reason I chose the D2Rs over the D20r. I had a RELt9i on loan from my dealer for 6 weeks (it was Covid time and he shut his store) and I only connected to one speaker at the speaker terminals. It actually sounded really good.
The crossover about half way but the volume only 4-5 clicks from off. The bass didn’t just come from side and seemed to just fill the room.
When I gotdelivwery of the pair from my dealer, again I had too much bass. I disconnected the yellow cable which halves the REL’s output and now have it about 3 clicks from minimum. The advantage of having two RELs is the the soundstage has expanded and helped the ProAcs do their disappearing act. FWIW I had Designacable make up custom cables to keep the spaghetti to a minimum.

3 Likes

Again the upgrade bug has started itching and this time for new nap 250-3, my question is, can the supernait 3 be used as preamp for 250-3 without hi cap as I don’t have one, I cannot see compatible cable from naim to connect the same on their chart.

Appreciate your views please.

@Richard.Dane and @110dB appreciate your feedback please, technically as well.

You can do this if you keep the link plug connected and use the DIN4 Bi-amp socket as a pre-out.

My concern was for the new nap 250-3 and the cable for the same. 250 DR would be better or the 250-3 technically with SN3?

I don’t see any compatible cable for SN3 connecting directly to SN3

It should be the cable that allows legacy pre-amps to connect to the NC power amps.

Lead Assembly, Legacy Preamp DIN to New Classic PA XLR, Left Channel, 4 pin DIN to XLR 00-010-0244

Apologies @Richard.Dane still I’m confused, the below part number says “2 unique cables needed” whereas from biamp you would only need one 4 pin Din to stereo XLRs.

Apologies, yes, you’re correct. It would have to be shotgunned into a single DIN. Best confer with your dealer here who can discuss with Naim.

1 Like