NAP 350 - Who’s Tempted?

Size… isn’t everything… :open_mouth: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I am pretty sure that the custom cable makers could help - or (assuming you have the skills) you could build your own… :expressionless:

(Its the DIN plugs that are the challenge, for soldering, being so relatively small. XLR’s are pretty easy - as they are much bigger.)

1 Like

Custom made cables are certainly a possibility but it’s early days yet so let’s see if Naim offer a solution.

Here’s the cable to connect the Classic gear to the NC250/350

I

3 Likes

That’s strange when Naim have told me these might not be made ???

Does that cable have enough separation on the end to use on 350’s? I would assume you’d have to stack 350’s right on top of one another unless there is a lot of separation on the XLR end.

It’s two separate cables. I can get a photo of them for you later.

It took them a while to be produced. So they may not have known or showed up as an available order. I bought my NC250 in January and just got the cables last week.

F.Y.I.

Richard has recently added a compatibility chart under the Frequently Asked Questions section.

1 Like

Haha it is… have you seen the transformers in the Statement?

Thoughts please. Nap350 with 222/npx300. Too much?

Conventional Naim wisdom would suggest to go for 300 series pre with the 250 rather than 222 with 350 but as no retail customers have heard the 350 yet, it’s all speculation. Best to wait until September, when you will be able to audition both and decide then.

Best regards, BF

5 Likes

Probably depends on speakers.
From memory I think Stevesky, Naim Software Director, said he was running 350s with 222/300 into some PMC Fact 12!

3 Likes

Speakers are Kudos 606s. I seem to recall reading on here about 272 being run with 300DR with positive opinions, so was thinking along similar lines.

Apparently a fair amount of people had a 272 with a 300 or 300DR so why not? Maybe it goes against perceived wisdom but if you enjoy the resulting system then go for it is my view.

2 Likes

One to demo but if they deliver what your speakers are capable of, you like the results and can afford it - one to consider.
I have more humble speakers that I think match 200 series system so I don’t want to upset the apple cart but can understand your curiosity.
Good luck :+1::grin:.

1 Like

Well, I went to listen to active 250 into 808s today at Ross’s home and…? I formed the conclusion that our rooms are too different to make that a meaningful comparison, which was a shame. Naughty Pete has offered to install in my home so I can see, and if I am not convinced he will put the 500 back in. He is confident that I will like it. Not 100% sure if I will try, but being an idiot I probably will :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I had the same exact question on my mind when 300 series was announced. Richard thought in theory 332/333 pair might have more impact than my 222/NPX300 combo. I’m still tempted to try NAP350 when it becomes available in US to demo but likely will consider the conventional wisdom on front end upgrade as my first upgrade.

Conventional Naim wisdom is possibly wrong to generalize in such a way. What amplifier is best to use depends a lot on speakers. I suspect a 332/250 maybe be best for some while a 222/350 may work better for others. If I were in that boat to decide for my speakers I would most certainly lean towards the 222/350 as possibly the better choice. My upgrade from a 250DR to a 300DR certainly bears that out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.