Nap 500 dr speakers

I feel the nap500dr drives the speakers fine. The only issue is on very few song (all old) I would love to add a little more bass especially at low to moderate volume. Now the issue with pmc is that according to them, certain speakers need more power than the nap500dr can provide. I don’t own those speakers and will not be purchasing them. I’m the guy complaining about his Shelby gt500 topping out at 184. This is just trying to get the “best” out of my system. I’ve heard there may be some new subs coming out, I’m going to seriously consider adding a 6 pack. However on the subs, which I have owned before, I really want an easy method to turn them on/off up/down, like on my iPad. (If Naim had a “loudness” button this would never be an issue) Also, I love my dealer, my only problems occur when I refuse to take his advise and make decisions against his recommendations.

You cannot get satisfied on each song, if you’re going to find any other speaker what you wish to have for a specific song you’re going to lose anywhere else,at the end you will be frustrated and never be happy with the result…there is still no speaker that you can balance any song…only the most if the speakers are good enough

…indeed, and a good speaker/ amp will not make a poor recording sound good!

2 Likes

@Filipe I note that you have the Sopra 2 and was wondering if you can considered the slightly larger Sopra 3 with the rest of your impressive electronics. Is it a room size issue?
Sorry for slight detour in topic

I feel settled with what I have which were bought before I traded up. I expect the larger Sopra 3s would fit and be a nice uplift. I thought that I might like to try Titan 808s if I ever were tempted!

Phil

I have the Sopra-3 with 552/300 and while I will probably upgrade to a 500 one day, was also considering Titan 880 given the positive press on this forum with Naim gear
My room is 17X 25 feet

The dealer definitely should know the product! Agreed, @jlewis

Some think that, given its price, the NAP500 should drive any speaker. It’s just not designed to. Super-duper high current amps abound in the hi fi world, as do speakers that match up with them. The NAP500 I have come to learn is super-duper, but not super-duper high current.

Yes, an amp much less costly than the NAP500 will drive certain speakers much better.

1 Like

That’s Titan 808, unless u mean the older T88s?
I use T88s in a very large room driven by 135s. The T88s replaced Focal 1038bes.
The Kudos T88s were a very big upgrade over the Focal’s.
Have not heard the 808s but as they cost twice what the 88s cost.
Would expect the 808s would be amazing in your system
David

1 Like

Thanks David yes meant 808

Try something from ProAc. I have last year’s model K6… It totally outclasses the ProAc D40-R, which I traded for it. My wife loves the K6 so much that it would be a risk to change anything. Today I would try the K 6 Signature or the K8 if you dare. K10 is to follow for a big jump in price. The ProAc loves power but it dances well with the 500. Not sure how well the 500 loves the bigger ProAc.

I have seen the K8 driven by the Boulder amp. Amazing sound. Turned up, I could see the woofer pumping. I can turn the 552/500 way up, past 12:00 and up to 1:00 or 2:00 (pretty loud all the way) with the K6 and never see the woofer move like that. I was offered a deal on the K8, but I am happy now with the K6. Would love to hear the Signature.

1 Like

Still disappointing though! Best wishes from Gloucestershire.

Another here from Gloucestershire!

Off topic…but Gloucestershire…been here 3 years now…just fantastic!

1 Like

One of the reasons I never take my grilles off - wouldn’t ever want to see those woofers bouncing!

1 Like

I agree … and I was playing it from end to end last night… a real treat! :clap:

2 Likes

Naim do make the NAP S1 … just sayin’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

My “upgraditis” does have it limits. It stops at 500 series. I’m waiting on rel to see what happens with their subs. I’m hoping that they come up with something that fits (1) my room (2) my degree of laziness (3) my budget (4) my musical taste. If all of that does not come to fruition then I’ll either be satisfied with what I have or buy a different speaker that might not be as good as what I currently own or may be better.

1 Like

That’s like saying that a Porsche 911 being so expensive has to do the off road

Naim amps work well and pump high current

I can’t hear this otherwise within normal domestic volumes. It’s not a PA rig

I read the Hifinews review that is posted on Naim’s website. They give the numbers.

Hi. If the room acoustics suit your speaker and listening style, and set-up is not suspect, then bi-amp the system with a similar-vintage 500.