NAP200 as just a PSU?

Hi all,
I’m looking to demo (or just buy second hand) a NAP250 or even a NAP300 at some point, into an NAC282, NDX2 and Kudos 606s. To do this, I would also need to buy a Hicap. At some point though, I would like a supercap (for my endgame system).
Has anyone used the NAP200 just to power the NAC282, then use a NAP250 to drive the speakers?
A new Hicap DR is £1600. Not a lot cheaper second hand? Hicap 2s are around £600. I would rather save and put that money towards a 2nd hand supercap.
For now, I think the NAP200 to 250 will have the biggest impact on my system?
Has anyone used a NAP200 just as a PSU?

Whilst the 200 can power a 282 via the Standard socket, you then have no way of connecting a 250. There is no Naim approved way of doing what you suggest.

I’d look towards a Hicap DR / Supercap DR to power the 282 and then you’re all set for a move to a 250 or 300 in the future.

2 Likes

Ahhhh, thanks for that. This will be a very short thread then :joy:
Thanks again James

1 Like

Just buy ‘any’ pre-loved HiCap… Job Done.

I bought an Olive HC in 2012 for £375…

1 Like

Even a FlatCap would get you up and running.

2 Likes

I would, personally, first add an Xpsdr to the Ndx2. I am not always a partisan of source first, but in that case yes.

2 Likes

Me too…

2 Likes

Well… I would go for the 250… but YMMV, etc…

Each is worthwhile :+1:

A supercap replacing a Hicap can sound like a power amp upgrade, at least it did when I demoed that change into Kudos C2s, though a 250-2 was involved throughout. If you can bear the current setup while saving for a supercap than just go the direct route, if the 200 really isn’t up to the 606s than an interim hicap and 250 might be better. Can you get a demo of a supercap in your current system?

As has already been said, any s/h FC or HC would do as an interim measure - and you’d be able to sell it on later for what you paid for it - or just trade it in against the eventual HC DR or SC DR you buy.

If you connect the 200 to the 282, you use the 4 pin socket. There is then nowhere to connect the power amp, which is why this won’t work.

Your system at the moment is seriously unbalanced. With your speakers you really want both a better amplifier and a better source. While you may be thinking ahead to the sunlit uplands of 252, Supercap and 300 ownership, that time seems a little way off. You’d be living with compromises for a long time. If it were me I’d be getting a Hicap DR and 250DR, and an XPSDR for your NDX2. That would give you a lovely balanced system and you may not feel anything better is necessary.

2 Likes

Kudos Titan series appear to have come from nowhere to be the Forum staple. Having read often long before I joined, Neat and Spendor (and latterly Focal) seemed the go-to. This makes no difference to anything, but I’m really surprised how quickly they’ve grown in popularity.

1 Like

I believe there is a link, between Neat and Kudos - in that the owner/designer of Kudos is ex-Neat…?

Yes that’s right. I think also there is something about Isobaric speakers that just suits the Naim sound?

1 Like

I bought my C10s in 2007 - Kudos were popular on the old forum back then - so not all that recent really. The Titans are more recent I accept but to say Kudos are ‘new kids on the block’ isn’t quite right…

1 Like

Indeed - I remember quite a few enthusiastic posts back then (from a few members who no longer post) of the C series and later, the S series. Great speakers that work well with a variety of amps.

Not sure that all Neat or Kudos speakers are Isobaric…? I have Kudos X3’s, bought pre-loved, because they were available following a trade-in at my nearest dealer (that one… nr Leicester…), by someone who was moving up to C10’s, I think…?

I tried the X3’s at home, having speculatively dropped my Royd Doublets off, to trade in. They didnt go back… :grinning:

Sorry, I was meaning specifically about the Titan range, which are very popular on this forum.

1 Like

No problem… I an not really up to date on the various speakers out there… Buying Kudos was at least partly because of their apparent popularity - and ‘my’ X3’s were avialable at about the right price, for me… (£1000, pre-loved).