NAP300/300PS non-dr

Hear that

Great adv

Thx mate

Sorry, but I am going to upset the consensus here and agree with HH.

It seems to me you are at a fundamental crossroads in the development of your system, and simply moving from 300 to 300DR does not move you any further on. Subsequently adding an XPSDR to your CDX2 seems to me to be moving you further sideways.

If you accept that you already have great amplification (a non DR 300 is still superb BTW, especially with a 252/SuperCapDR) then the real question is how do you upgrade your source to get the best from your superb amplification?

Which then raises the more fundamental question of whether you want to stick with CD or move on to streaming. Only you can answer that question.

Having answered the CD or streaming question, you can then decide how to upgrade your source.

If you are going to stick with CD then get one of the best players in the world, the CD555 (which are very reasonably priced these days), with a CD555PS, which could later power a NDX2 or ND555, when you inevitably decide to go streaming.

Or start your streaming adventure now!

I realise funds are limited but to get a worthwhile upgrade (in SQ terms) at the level of kit you are at requires greater expenditure. Might be better to stick where you are and save for a more fundamental upgrade.

Sorry to be so controversial, but this needs to be said, and I would advise you do a lot more thinking.

10 Likes

You are absolutely right !

My initial plan is to grab a used XPS dr after selling my 2003 XPS earlier

When one of my friend voice out the matching issue of my 252/Supercap dr (2021) with a non-dr 300, then the hassle. My dealer of course not giving me a precise answer but coax me for the demo piece !

Anyway, if the matching issue is a nonsense, Iā€™ll stick to the original plan to wait for a XPS dr or 555ps if there is one !

Yes, I do not see the problem mixing your DR pre amp with your non DR power amp. Of course a 300DR would be better but your source seems to be a bigger bottleneck to me.

Sounds like you are sticking with CD as your source and the CDX2 as your player, which seems to me to be the weak link in your system.

No doubt, this is a tough decision.

1 Like

I agree that upgrading the source would be the best thing to do first, but given the current situation, I would just get that 300DR while you can. Getting your old one upgraded could mean being without it for a long time so trading it in for a DR version at similar cost may turn out to be a much quicker and easier option.

Hi youā€™ve already received much good advice so wonā€™t add to it but will say that for a period after I bought my 250 DR I ran it with a 282/HC non DR and it was just fine.

Thx

Thatā€™s my concern as I donā€™t know the correctness of matching issue (dr pre vs non dr power) otherwise, Iā€™ll stick to a psu for the future upgrade !

You read my mine

vital thing is the matching issue (dr pre & non dr power) is true or not true ?

If dr power greatly improves overall sound stage then make sense for the so called ā€˜trade inā€™. Otherwise better save my money for psu !

It is desirable but not vital to have your pre and power amp DRā€™d. I have run a 552 non DR with a 250DR and now 500DR for several years. My last step will be to DR my 552.

You can of course go for the newer 300DR now, but that expenditure will delay upgrading your source, which will have the greatest impact on overall SQ IMV.

I understand that upgrading your source (and its power supply) will cost more, but it will give you more than merely moving to a 300DR. All my humble opinion you understand, but based on my own experience of many source upgrades in advance of amp upgrades.

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more master yoda :sweat_smile:

Source comes firstļ¼

Have to admit that the preferential price did woke my impulse purchase genes up ā€¦.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

@NigelB Phew the relief knowing that Iā€™m DR pure!

2 Likes

Likewise, Iā€™m running a 552DR with a non-DR 300. It sounds fantastic. Iā€™ll be aiming to get the 300 DRā€™ed at some point soon, but in the meantime Iā€™m really enjoying what itā€™s doing with the music Iā€™m listening to.

That said, my source is an NDX-2 which is XPS-DR powered.

Personally, Iā€™ve taken an opportunistic approach to upgrades; this time last year I was running a 250DR through my SuperUniti, and when the options on the various upgrades came along (including the very quick SuperUniti to 252/Supercap to 552 DR), I took them if the price seemed right, with th opinion that I could always sort out any perceived imbalances later.

1 Like

This why I think the op should take the opportunity offered now. Of course if he wasnā€™t thinking about a DR at all then it is just an impulse buy for no reason.

1 Like

I had the Cdx2 / XPS 2 before. For me itā€™s probably the most communicative CD player in the market. Even if not having the last word in details, itā€™s a killer machine that will have all its place with 252/300. No problem.

2 Likes

It all depends on oneā€™s financial strength ā€¦.:sweat_smile:

So you are getting an XPS-DR for your CDX2ā€¦?

Re. the 300 vs 300DR debate, I would do something not mentioned yet (?). Challenge the dealer on his deal and prices. Do you have to resell your 300 - or is there a p/ex includedā€¦? If not, how about it. Less risk for you, maybe.

Is it worth itā€¦? Well, its a nice problem to have, I guess if you can easily spend so much money.

Really? It feels like it came down to a lack of willpower on my part :rofl:

1 Like

Let me clarify, I have to resell my 300 in the second hand market (which I am testing the water now) meaning I may sit on the obsolete piece for a while !

As a number of the senior members hammering me that source comes first, I may follow the flow heading for a XPS dr or 555ps second hand in the first place ā€¦ā€¦

God knows I may change my mind the day next when my dealer offered me with a further discount ā€¦
Thatā€™s called life ?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheers

ps. The whole discussion started with a matching issue of my new 252/supercap dr & 300 non dr !

In deciding on upgrades or changes, these days I rely on happenstance - and costā€¦

You could just wait and see what happens. Try listing your 300 for sale and wait until it sellsā€¦? But - your Dealer may sell the ex-dem 300DR to ANOtherā€¦

You have already sold your XPS. But you are ā€˜waitingā€™ on an XPS-DRā€¦?

Yes

My earlier one (XPS) 2003 built & I am thinking of its body health ! I am just take chance to swap my PSU

Likewise CDX2 2003 built as well but itā€™s a fantastic piece with VAM1250