Nap500 with 552

I think that’s fair enough @Dunc. Enjoy your beer and best regards.

3 Likes

I think we can all emphasise with this :smile:

1 Like

The system sounded like it was worth more. I think @Dunc needs to listen to them.

I don’t find my 552 DR noisy at all, but the Burndies…. well the new 300 doesn’t route the signal via the PS. But you can improve the 552…,

1 Like

Now that’s diplomacy @Stu299

1 Like

Chilling with a beer, maybe others should try it.
:laughing:

Already am, my 500 setup with Chord DAVE / MScaler is sounding subline

What does reconciliation “beer” mean?

It is sometimes conceived as a physical expression of reconciliation and rediscovery of one’s HIFI-partner following the cathartic experience of a fight and may resolve underlying conflicts.

1 Like

Maybe those with 500 systems are crying into their beer Dunc :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Dunc isn’t buying us beers to reconcile. Maybe he prefers to drink alone?

If I were you I would put directly your 52/135 in the bin. As the 552/500 are already so noisy and outclassed, what may be the 52/135 ? Powered garbage ? :joy:

1 Like

Yes, my 52/135 combo is deeply flawed. It is plagued with character and soul, and is thoroughly engaging. It just isn’t very hifi by modern standards. But for me it is audio heaven and I wouldn’t swap it for anything. Long live “powered garbage” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::notes::notes:

7 Likes

I think the issue here is the degree of clarity versus the weight of the music. I expect that the new 200 and 300 series have that very clear presentation that the Uniti range has. The new Linn streamers have a very clear sound, which can be described by a lack of noise - and I think this is the “better, less noisy” trait that @Dunc refers to in the new modern design of hi-end audio.

But in my experience, the higher end Naim classic series has a certain weightiness to the presentation along with great clarity. Other products made be more detailed, or analytical, but I like that muscular weighty presentation. For me it gives an edge of realism. It’s not that much different over a very saturated TV that is very “precise” versus an OLED that is more natural.

4 Likes

I am currently listening to Massive Attack on my old technology and deeply flawed 52/135 thru a pair of equally decrepit Keilidhs. It’s wonderful :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Especially that (I’ve just known) the 500s are made to order, I don’t think they’d be too many out there

There is noise floor, and when I tried the 350, there wasn’t!
But that low level hissing sound I could only hear if I stuck my ear a centimeter from the speaker driver, who would do such thing anyway?
My listening position is only a little over 2 meters from the speaker and I don’t hear any hissing at all.

Well the 350 is quieter in that respect, so probably they sound “cleaner”, I give them that. But to say it better than the 500s, I wouldn’t say that. I still like the sound of my 500s, despite having only a bare NDX2 as source (which I’ll replace or upgrade).

2 Likes

That’s what I feel missing when I listen to the NCs. The “weight”, the “brunt and grunt”, or whatever!! Just happened I’m a fan of country music, so I like my existing 500s better, but an avid serious classical music afficionados would love the NCs better, I guess.

Also if I may add, if I were into meditation listening to some (new age?) instrumentals like the one with the sounds natures, like beach waves, or forest, or waterfalls, etc, I’d grab these NC gears over my existing 500s. Well, but it’s just me

1 Like

I think you have captured the “essence” between old and new 200 series that i heard. I am hoping the 300 brings both clarity and weight, but that may be forlorn. The interesting demo would be to try individual NC components with the old kit to see where the “weight” is lost. Without the “weight” of the presentation there are many other brands that spring to mind worth considering.
Perhaps an extended listen i could begin to enjoy the new kit……but then why bother?

1 Like

Sorry haven’t read the rest of the thread as it’s grower since i was here, service every years from what understand is incorrect when dealing with the 500 series, last time i herd it was 15 years.
Could be wrong (hope not).

Long live « powered garbage « ! Yeah :clinking_glasses:

1 Like