Native Qobuz update

I’m not comparing SQ, merely pointing out that what is probably the 555’s most obvious competitor manages perfectly well with a tiny display. Other than volume what do you really need? My 272 and Qute have the old green display and it’s perfectly adequate, and goes off after ten seconds anyway. Modelling the streamers on blingy lifestyle products like the Unitis makes no sense whatsoever. To me anyway. The more discreet the better.

4 Likes

Totally agree Nigel…i paid for a screen that i do not have switched on. I am ironically one of those beta testing that notices stuck artwork now and again when the screen comes to life if i switch tracks.

1 Like

One of the first things I did was turn the Atom screen off.

(Doubtless, heretically, I would happily turn off the green logo on classic gear if I could - I rather like the idea of black boxes with no lights at all, now that everything can be controlled by an iPhone app…)

The display is actually quite elegant and it’s great having the albums art displayed during play back. Much nicer than the manky green logos.

11 Likes

I don’t mind it either. And guests quite like being able to see at a glance what I’m subjecting them to

1 Like

Here you go. This just in from Naim…

3 Likes

I agree. I like the screen. I like seeing the artwork but what I would like to see is to keep that option which displays song info (text) and small artwork permanent. It always switches itself to the large artwork automatically which is not good. This should be user choice. Having song info all the time would very useful when listening to internet radio as instantly I can read what I am listening to without pressing any button or waving my hand in front of the screen.
Personally I have chosen Naim over other streamers because of the screen not despite of it.

4 Likes

Interesting post. Since the last firmware update I only see the track details and small artwork prior to the first track of the album I’m playing. Thereafter, once it has switched to full screen for the artwork, I never see the track detail with small artwork panel again when the track changes.
This remains the case even after today’s firmware update.

On the old streamers you can toggle between different views. Obviously artwork wasn’t one of them, but that aside, it was better functionality than the fancy new screens in my view.

2 Likes

I’m playing Qobuz with the Naim app now, just to say I tried it. The user experience and feature set using Roon on my iPad Pro is far better, IMHO.

But I’m glad Naim added it, especially since TIDAL now features MQA for their top tier quality.

Can’t create an account in New Zealand, so Tidal it is…

And if you create a fake ip adress ? VPN? I didn’t tried it however. But some do that to download hdtracks even if it’s not allowed for their country.

1 Like

Using my Qobuz high definition account with the NAim app - and it works wonderfully - really good implementation and slightly slicker than my Roon account in some ways… with clearer identification on hidef media when browsing using the hidef logo… come on Roon you have some competition now!!!
SQ is superb- and for the first time I can externally stream lossless high definition media directly into my Naim - truly wonderful.

Now if Naim could improve on the media information look ups it would be perfect,

5 Likes

obviously you can use a VPN that is hosted in an external country that is licenced to use Qobuz - but you would be in violation of the terms and conditions of Qobuz and possibly your VPN provider if reputable and acting unlawfully - but technically the option is there,

2 Likes

The frustration is the limited coverage of Qobuz, if it intends to become widespread, it needs to sort that out. If Tidal can do it, then they have an edge in that regard.

Totally agree Simon, it’s what the new streaming platform was waiting for. Great piece of work by the Naim team. Even the cd quality albums transcoded from High res sound superb.

3 Likes

They did mention they are working on a family subscription plan which might be interesting for some.

Hi all

I will do the update after work.
Thought I’d do a thread discussing thoughts and if any changes in sound quality being native.

1 Like

Good idea. Interested in experiences of people. I will also test it against Tidal. In case it works well, I will most probably switch off Tidal and use the free funds for buying music.

I have been using Qobuz for a couple of months in Beta testing. I tried Tidal 3 times and was never happy enough with the sound quality versus my Uniti Core to buy long term. I did the 30 day trial and have continued with Qobuz and have rarely used my Core since. I have a couple of recent downloads in Highres from Qobuz on my Core and cannot tell the difference between internet streaming or streaming from the Core.
Buy and large i have found most music-in the Qobuz library, but it probably is not as extensive as Tidal, but seems to be better in supporting eclectic and smaller artists.

5 Likes