Native Qobuz update

And if you create a fake ip adress ? VPN? I didn’t tried it however. But some do that to download hdtracks even if it’s not allowed for their country.

1 Like

Using my Qobuz high definition account with the NAim app - and it works wonderfully - really good implementation and slightly slicker than my Roon account in some ways… with clearer identification on hidef media when browsing using the hidef logo… come on Roon you have some competition now!!!
SQ is superb- and for the first time I can externally stream lossless high definition media directly into my Naim - truly wonderful.

Now if Naim could improve on the media information look ups it would be perfect,

5 Likes

obviously you can use a VPN that is hosted in an external country that is licenced to use Qobuz - but you would be in violation of the terms and conditions of Qobuz and possibly your VPN provider if reputable and acting unlawfully - but technically the option is there,

2 Likes

The frustration is the limited coverage of Qobuz, if it intends to become widespread, it needs to sort that out. If Tidal can do it, then they have an edge in that regard.

Totally agree Simon, it’s what the new streaming platform was waiting for. Great piece of work by the Naim team. Even the cd quality albums transcoded from High res sound superb.

3 Likes

They did mention they are working on a family subscription plan which might be interesting for some.

Hi all

I will do the update after work.
Thought I’d do a thread discussing thoughts and if any changes in sound quality being native.

1 Like

Good idea. Interested in experiences of people. I will also test it against Tidal. In case it works well, I will most probably switch off Tidal and use the free funds for buying music.

I have been using Qobuz for a couple of months in Beta testing. I tried Tidal 3 times and was never happy enough with the sound quality versus my Uniti Core to buy long term. I did the 30 day trial and have continued with Qobuz and have rarely used my Core since. I have a couple of recent downloads in Highres from Qobuz on my Core and cannot tell the difference between internet streaming or streaming from the Core.
Buy and large i have found most music-in the Qobuz library, but it probably is not as extensive as Tidal, but seems to be better in supporting eclectic and smaller artists.

5 Likes

I see that the NDX (original) is not included. Is the NDX no longer getting updates, or will they be coming later, does anyone know?

Just updated my Nova with no issues. Playing Qobuz tracks through the iOS app now and display on the unit and iOS app all good. When selecting a track, the Nova display briefly shows the title and stream rate etc before switching to album art.

I also have a Tidal account so in the iOS app where it displays 'Albums, Arists, Tracks etc below the input icons - these are still all Tidal-based. Not an issue, just an observation.

Looking good, sounding good!

Unfortunately the old platform is unable to take this update…Naim will continue to support the old platform as best they can, but large changes like this are not possible. Hungry Haliburt contacted the CEO who said if they could have done it…they would have.

Gazza how do you compare it to using Qobuz via the internal chromecast?

OK - thanks for that. C’est la vie.

Hi TJB,
After restarting the Naim app after logging into my Qobuz account, it added all of my favorites to the home screen (appended the Tidal list) and added Qobuz to the search screen.

1 Like

I have only tried it with the integrated Naim App for Qobuz, not via Chromecast. The beta team have been testing the newly released App for a couple of months.

Does anyone dare to comment on sound quality of TIDAL versus Qobuz? Ripped CDs on my Mac Mini sound better than TIDAL today, but I hear Qobuz quality is (much) better than TIDAL?!

Considering to trial Qobuz, so curious about your findings on SQ.

Per my previous post i tried Tidal 3 times on free offer, never git on with it…the top end never sounded natural, to me. Qobuz even at 16 bit sounds really good, 24 bit even better…so much so i have not been using my Core server. Worth the 30 day trial imo.

2 Likes

I’m finding the update brings a nice SQ improvement. I’m using Roon however. During my first few months with it I had both Tidal and Qobuz and much preferred the sound from the latter, so discontinued my Tidal subscription.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on the sound quality of Qobuz vs Tidal? We are waiting for Qobuz to enter Canada, so I am using Spotify for now. I find I am listening to Spotify 90% of the time and rarely use my Mac Mini with UpNp or the Cambridge Audio Dac Magic plus… time sell the DacMagic on eBay I guess.