Native Qobuz update

Unfortunately, no.

No, engineering said the hardware doesnā€™t support it; otherwise, they would have included the legacy streamers.

Same here Qobuz is my preference, sadly though for mobile/car listening I still keep Tidal Hifi and Spotify Premium Family.

For my Hi fi and mobile listening (wireless earbuds) I use Qobuz.
For wired mobile listening using a USB DAC I use Tidal MQA (where possible)
For in car, I use Qobuz but find it flaky on downloaded content.

Overall I like Qobuz but the catalogue is poor, the UI also.
I await Amazon Ultra HD to hopefully offer WASAPI support.

NOTE: I mainly use streaming sources via an Innuos Server not native.

1 Like

well thatā€™s too bad. I actually find the naim/tidal interface quite satisfactory when it works; spotify, which always seems to work, is the backup. I purchased a naim atom in anticipation of the Qobuz update and itā€™s integration with Roon. truth be told I didnā€™t like the glitzy screen and fancy remote much preferring the staid and discreet appearance
of the classic green on black. nonetheless, thanks for the information.

Would be interesting to here why the glitzy screen was chosen (i did like it at first, then just wanted it off), the amount of R&D introducing it without a SQ deterioration must have been major and now releasing an update to dim it.

1 Like

Quite agreeā€¦when we visited they did discuss it took a lot of work to retain the SQ. I think they felt that at the price points the competition had a screenā€¦mine is always off.

1 Like

1 Like

I would happily take a Naim version like the Linn with no screenā€¦too late for Naim until next time. As for me i preferred the Naim to the equivalent Linn at the time.

1 Like

Ditto. And by quite a marginā€¦

Iā€™m not comparing SQ, merely pointing out that what is probably the 555ā€™s most obvious competitor manages perfectly well with a tiny display. Other than volume what do you really need? My 272 and Qute have the old green display and itā€™s perfectly adequate, and goes off after ten seconds anyway. Modelling the streamers on blingy lifestyle products like the Unitis makes no sense whatsoever. To me anyway. The more discreet the better.

4 Likes

Totally agree Nigelā€¦i paid for a screen that i do not have switched on. I am ironically one of those beta testing that notices stuck artwork now and again when the screen comes to life if i switch tracks.

1 Like

One of the first things I did was turn the Atom screen off.

(Doubtless, heretically, I would happily turn off the green logo on classic gear if I could - I rather like the idea of black boxes with no lights at all, now that everything can be controlled by an iPhone appā€¦)

The display is actually quite elegant and itā€™s great having the albums art displayed during play back. Much nicer than the manky green logos.

11 Likes

I donā€™t mind it either. And guests quite like being able to see at a glance what Iā€™m subjecting them to

1 Like

Here you go. This just in from Naimā€¦

3 Likes

I agree. I like the screen. I like seeing the artwork but what I would like to see is to keep that option which displays song info (text) and small artwork permanent. It always switches itself to the large artwork automatically which is not good. This should be user choice. Having song info all the time would very useful when listening to internet radio as instantly I can read what I am listening to without pressing any button or waving my hand in front of the screen.
Personally I have chosen Naim over other streamers because of the screen not despite of it.

4 Likes

Interesting post. Since the last firmware update I only see the track details and small artwork prior to the first track of the album Iā€™m playing. Thereafter, once it has switched to full screen for the artwork, I never see the track detail with small artwork panel again when the track changes.
This remains the case even after todayā€™s firmware update.

On the old streamers you can toggle between different views. Obviously artwork wasnā€™t one of them, but that aside, it was better functionality than the fancy new screens in my view.

2 Likes

Iā€™m playing Qobuz with the Naim app now, just to say I tried it. The user experience and feature set using Roon on my iPad Pro is far better, IMHO.

But Iā€™m glad Naim added it, especially since TIDAL now features MQA for their top tier quality.

Canā€™t create an account in New Zealand, so Tidal it isā€¦