NC 4 box conundrum

27 Likes

Looks amazing!!! Congrats

1 Like

You could get 2 extra NPX300s and run the 333 and 332 with two power supplies. Apparently, doing this does give an uplift in SQ.

2 Likes

Looks awesome!

1 Like

Indeed, when I had the demo of amplifiers to go with my NAC332 preamplifier, I listened to it with a NPX300 power supply into a NC NAP 250 - and it sounded excellent.

However when the NPX300 was removed and the NAP350’s were connected directly to the NAC332 everything improved significantly resulting in a bigger enjoyment factor.

Back in January (when I did the demo) the cost difference of NPX300 + NC NAP250 versus 2 x NAP350 was £600, so I was more than happy to pay the extra for the mono’s - as they would be my end game amplifiers.

Here at home, they continually justify my decision, sounding amazing - giving the recorded musical performance a realism that is very addictive, pushing the desire to listen more.

5 Likes

Quick update…

I went to the dealer for the demo. He had kindly recreated my setup as closely as possible. Source was the 222/NPX300. Speaker cables were the Naim A5. Speakers the wonderful Franco Serblin Ktêma.
I brought with me a few trusted and well known tracks. From rock songs with a very sophisticated production (David Bowie, Depeche Mode), to intimate chamber music (Bach`s cello suites and Goldberg Variations) and large scale choral works (Mozart’s Great Mass in B).

We first started with the NC250. Honestly I really liked it. Lovely details, wide soundstage. What did strike me however compared to my former NAP300DR was the bass was a little bit on the lighter side.
But overall I could have bought it…

My mistake was to demo the 350s. And from the very first seconds I was absolutely gobsmacked at how much more “lively” everything sounded. I heard some instrumental details I had never heard before on those tracks. The bass was back, beautifully controlled. You could tell the 350s were showing the Ktêmas who the boss was! And wow how beautifully they were singing. Of course I ended up buying the 350s. I’ve had them for just 2 days at home and I love them.

As for the Ktêmas… Damn, I love my Guarneris, but those Franco Serblins are truly something!

6 Likes

Quite right. Many people love the chrome bumper and olive models not just because of nostalgia but because they sound excellent too.

As a cheapskate and buyer of used Naim gear, I like it when new models come out as you get a flush of gear to choose from as people trade in to buy the new stuff. This can make the prices cheaper too or at least be able to pick and choose the best refurbished examples.

2 Likes

Good News, and they will improve with use!

Don’t forget to update your system profile. :+1:

2 Likes

And here’s my lovely new 4-box system. The odd “man” out being the 555PSDR. Not replacing it with a NPX300. Not happening!

16 Likes

You worded so perfectly how I feel when listening to my new system. Cheers! :grin:

1 Like

Congratulations!

Good choice - the 350s are lovely amps. As Geoff mentions they just get better, although mine were a bit up and down for the first two weeks before settling down.

Enjoy your 4 boxer :+1:

2 Likes

I am wondering if anyone has heard or has an 8-box 300 system, with two NPXs on the 332 and 333.

1 Like

With a six box realistically the most for one fraim stack - it likely requires two fraim, so second footprint for more boxes. Likely to be a wonderful system though Paul.
I know how many boxes and fraims I need for active - would be fun to try in my setup, 3 pack 350s needed; alas not likely to happen, I refrain from change or upgraditis!

These sort of discussions can be considered along the lines of starting from, “Can I afford a full Statement system” and working your way down the ranges till you’re in to affordability.
My view, owning a NSC222 + NAP250, is that they all perform very well and there’s a sensible upgrade path that allows the PSU’s to be used far more cohesively than was the norm in the past.

4 Likes

Ah, so you succumbed to the big speakers dealer demo!!:slight_smile:
I feel the right decision for your speakers too anyway!
Enjoy, lovely!

I think the strong consensus (not least at Naim HQ recently) is that a 555/552/500 system is usually better than the 300-series, however many power supplies the latter has.

Given the cost of new boxes you picture, and the cost of s/h 500 series, I suspect that few will hurry to buy quite that many 300-series boxes. I may be proved wrong of course.

3 Likes

I agree the 300 system would never beat a 500. Still, an 8-box 300 system would be significantly cheaper than a 500 system but would need a similar number of racks and space for them.

I think that was comparing new 300 prices versus used 500 prices? A new 333 (bare) here is about the same as a used 552/PS.

I did the comparison as my 552 will be away for repair.

1 Like

That’s my fault: I should have been clear.

Second-hand 552DR on eBay now £9150 or best offer.

500DR £11k today or a good deal less with patience.

Even with ‘only’ an NDX2 (£3k) + 555PS (£3400), I’d expect that to outperform 8 300-series boxes.

Either way of course, we are in extreme territory for a hifi.

2 Likes