ND5 XS 2 or NDX 2 with Nait XS 2

I have just got the ND5 XS 2 to go with my Nait Xs 2 amp. The ND5 has a slight fault so will be returned. I am wondering if an NDX 2 may be a better option.
Also considering a 272/250 combo. I will listen to ripped FLACs of my CDs, Tidal and ripped SACDs if I can find a simple way of ripping them all via usb HDD. SQ is my main concern.
Any thoughts?

There all good options, relatively speaking for cost. If you are having a demo, I would add the NDX2/SN2 in the mix as an alternative to the 272/250.

1 Like

Very interesting, does the NDX 2 or 272 have the better DAC?

NDX2 will be superior in every way.

I haven’t compared, but common feedback is that the new streamers are well ahead of the previous generation. I’ve just upgraded to the NDX2 and SN2 and find it a wonderful combination, with the door open for adding power supplies for future further improvement.

It’s always a minefield upgrading, cost, box count etc, and trying to map out what the “end game” looks like.

1 Like

Shame it can’t be mated with a 250.
What about Nait XS 2 vs super Uniti 2? As far as SQ is concerned I want to avoid too powerful a bass as it masks mid/high definition.

Yes Mike_S, I am hoping that this will be the last upgrade! From what did you upgrade?

You could take your XS2 to the dealer and try both combinations?

Indeed but I want to narrow down the options before a listening test - I will struggle to reliably differentiate a 3 way (or more) test - 2 way tests are as much as I could cope with!

1 Like

My Nova, which is now in my office/media room.

Saves me from asking the question about the possibility of a nova! Obviously the NDX2 and SN2 must be superior.

1 Like

Okay, when I spoke to my dealer about the NDX2/SN2 versus the 272/250, he said the former, without question, as the new streamers are way ahead of the older ones. The only consideration is though, if you want further/better amplification in the future, you would have to swap the SN2 out for separates.

Yes, more so than I anticipated. I couldn’t demo the NDX2, so it was a leap of faith, and was well rewarded.

Check out this thread Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

And this one Advice on new 2 box system?

I’ve had a similar system myself, I’ve ended up with a SN2 + HC DR + ND5 XS 2

I’m sure something like that won’t disappoint however you could spend more and have a SN2 + NDX2 for example or stick where you are with the NAIT XS 2 and ND5 XS 2 and be very happy with the setup.

Although the 272 is a very good preamp/streamer it’s an aging product built using previous generation technology and will not stack up well against any of the latest crop of Naim streamers. I’d say the sweet spot is a SN2 + NDX2 for a very good two box combo that replaces the 272/250 systems favourable in the past.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr.M, I am not too keen on older technology and perhaps Naim will update the 272 with a new model in the future.
I tend to think that the source is all important so wonder what benefits I would get with the NDX 2 rather than the ND5 XS 2 - the difference in price would allow me to add a chord hugo tt 2 (almost). I assume that the streaming section is the same but the DAC may be better in the NDX 2 - am I right?

Rather than an SN2 I was toying with the idea of a 250 power amp with my Nait XS 2. I haven’t asked for any dealer advice yet but my thinking would be ND5 XS 2 for now with Nait XS 2 feeding 250. If name then upgrade/replace the 272 then I could trade the ND5 and would end up with a very nice two box solution.
Any thoughts on this or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If thinking of trading in already before purchase just get 272/250 then trade old 272 for new 272. That is if it ever comes. I have my doubts it will ever arrive. I can say that even with the new streamers my “old” 272 sounds great still. :+1:That said I probably wouldn’t be buying a new 272 right now but a nice used one would be well worth considering.

Thanks Spurriersucks, I am trying to figure out the best course of action. I am not a serial upgrader and had thought that the ND5 XS 2 would be a good upgrade (very expensive by my standards) with speakers to follow at some point.
However my listening area does not have much flexibility and my good woman would have to be really convinced with the look and size of any new speakers.
The ND5 XS 2 that I picked up the other day has a non-performance affecting defect so while I wait for a replacement I have been reading up and wondering if it is my best course of action.
I know it will seem strange to some but I do not like the thought of anything pre-owned so brand new is my only option.
Any thoughts on my consideration of a 250 power amp on the end of the Nait XS 2?

Ive owned an XS 2 twice and there will likely be a 3rd in the future. I think it’s a great IA. Adding an ND5XS2 to that should make for a great system. I had a ND5XS with my last XS2 and only reason I moved away from it was to get my current 272/XPSDR/250dr. Depending on room and speakers that XS system could be all you ever need. If o hadn’t changed homes and speakers I could easily live with that combo. I am wanting to add that very system to my other room replacing my UnitiQute. Which is also my second Qute. I’ve had a Uniti 2 and a SN1 fed by Qute as well which has been my least favorite Naim system. I don’t see any reason to add a 250 to an xs2. Before doing that I would get a SN2 which is supposed to do give everything the xs2 does buy more. Haven’t heard one personally but supposed to be a massive step up from SN1.