ND5 XS 2 or NDX 2 with Nait XS 2

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience, much appreciated. So no real benefit to adding a 250. I have had my XS 2 for about 2 years and am really pleased with it, adding the ND5 XS 2 instead of my Oppo 105 (great DAC so I thought before getting the ND5 XS 2)and that’s before it has run in (no point doing so yet as it will be replaced) with another one.
How much of an improvement did you find the 272/250 all be it with an external PSU?

I should say that I only play music from ripped CDs to an HDD attached to the ND5 XS 2 and tidal.
One advantage of the Oppo was that I could select artist or genre for example and shuffle all tracks within the category but the Naim app doesn’t appear to give that functionality. Is this correct or is there a setting somewhere that I have missed?

Honestly I only had the 272/250 about 2 weeks before adding XPSDR. I bought all the same time but had to wait on XPSDR. Once I put it in I never took it out so I’m not real sure how much of a difference it made. From everything I read it made a huge improve the. lol.

I think you need to make playlist but I haven’t tried to shuffle my music.

Daft question but how do you create a playlist and add albums/tracks on the app?

From the start I wanted a small box count and settled on a two box system. I migrated from a ND5 XS > XS 2 to a NDX > SN2, then to my current system which is a NAS streaming to the NDX 2 > SuperNait 2 > NAC A5 > NAIM Ovator S-400. The NDX 2 & SN 2 sit on Quadraspire Q4EVO Bamboo 3 Shelf Rack. System photo here.

I listen to ripped CD’s and downloaded albums via the NAS, subscribe to TIDAL (hi-fi) streaming and on occasion internet radio. I am quite happy with the SQ but will concede that there are many possible ways that SQ may be improved. Fortunately I feel I have a system the meets my needs and fits into my life style.

Having read through a lot of threads using the search function I discovered that a lot of people are very happy with their systems, whatever that configuration may be. So demo at your dealer, home demo if you can and find the system that makes you happy. …things can always change, time and money, and of course patience.

Good luck with your search and future decisions!

3 Likes

After lots of consideration and debate I have settled on the NDX 2 and Supernait 2. Just waiting to hear when they will be available.

5 Likes

Wonderful news, this is a very fine 2 box set up and I am sure you will be delighted with your choice - enjoy!

1 Like

Just like my set up then…Wow

We should start a club! The 2-boxers.

1 Like

Yes indeed!
I am still waiting to hear when the dealer will have the SN2 in and understand that they may soon be difficult to get hold of.

Anyhow, I will definitely get the NDX 2 and hopefully the SN2. I can’t wait to get it set up, ran in and then forget about it for many years and just concentrate on playing music!

It is so easy to get sucked into the Naim ‘ecosystem’ of separates and a never ending chain of power supplies but I am determined not to go down that route. I will resist the temptation to add power supplies to the SN2. The two box, source and amp, should be more than adequate - in fact, at this price, I feel I am already approaching that zone where the law of diminishing returns will set in if I try to improve.

3 Likes

Just heard NDX 2 and SN2 will be ready next week - just need to sort my SACD rip metadata issues in readiness!

2 Likes

Still waiting word on my delivery date for the XS2

My XS 2 obviously gets traded in next week.

1 Like

Just got a phone call from my dealer, and my new toy has arrived…NDX2
Will have to wait till late Monday before I can plug it in. Let you know
B

1 Like

Brilliant! I take it that you have the SN2 already, I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on how the NDX 2 and SN2 sound together.

1 Like

Yes I have a SN2, its amazing
Will let you know
B

1 Like

Hi m2bfx, I now have an SN2 and NDX2 - I thought my Nait XS2 and ND5 XS 2 was very good but my new combination is so much better and that’s before it settles down!

1 Like

I have a SN2 + ND5 XS 2 combo. Curious what folks are using as a music server and ripper?

Leaning towards an Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3 based on features, ease of use and cost.

I have a NDX 2 > SN2. I use a NAS: Synology 8TB DS716+II 2-Bay and rip my cd’s using a Apple USB Superdrive. This set-up is not expensive and very easy to set-up and use.