ND5 XS2 specific-tidal or qobuz?

I’ve had my ND5XS2 for 2 weeks and absolutely loving it, I knew there would be a big difference between it and my previous Node(latest version) but it’s WAY more then I expected. I’ve been streaming Tidal and a few stations within the Naim app, mostly Radio Paradise and have to say the streams with Radio Paradise sound awesome. But feel I’m not getting what I should from Tidal, with the ND5XS2 not having the ability to decode Tidal’s Master MQA it switches the feed to HiFi which with my Node always sounded inferior to MQAs so I’m thinking “I should” see the same difference between Tidal’s Hi Fi quality and Qobuz’s hi res?
I have googled it and looked through posts here on our group but opinions given seem to be from people using streamers other then our ND5XS2. That’s why I’d love to hear opinions from other ND5XS2 owners on their comparisons of the 2 services.

I switched from Tidal to Qobuz with ND5XS2 and never looked back.

4 Likes

I did a side by side comparison of Tidal and Qobuz for 30 days a few years back and choose Qobuz. This was with the NDX 2. The extra bonus was that Qobuz was also less expensive.

Usually you can get a free trial and you may want to check with them to see if it is still offered.

Good luck with your decision.

3 Likes

I also switched from Tidal and have never considered switching back

1 Like

If I had to choose between them Qobuz without hesitation.
That said I have both (Tidal Hifi only - no interest in MQA at all) and for me this represents good value.
I suppose it will depend on individual use case but if you majority stream, as I do, it’s one to consider.
Enjoy the ND5XS2 - I think XS gear is best VFM in Naim range :+1:.

2 Likes

Cancelled Tidal and running Qobuz on and ND5 XS2 and it sounds wonderful.

2 Likes

Nah - Olive! :grinning:

3 Likes

Also Qobuz here - but have not compared. Qobuz is really good.

2 Likes

You better crack on with sourcing an Olive streamer😂

For that we have the peerless ND5XS2!

3 Likes

I do think the ND5XS2 is great having owned one.
That said I can fully understand your view it is not good VFM given you only use it as transport so have created redundancy.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, super helpful as usual🍻
You most definitely have me thinking I have to give Qobuz a test drive :+1:
Going to check with Qobuz today and see what they offer(hopefully they still have free month trial lol) I do get first responder discount with Tidal so I’m hoping Qobuz offers one also…

2 Likes

FWIW - I use there pre-pay one year subscription and it works out to $10.83 per month, less than 36 cents per day. Great value!

3 Likes

Here in UK I took out a subscription with Qobuz a few days ago and the first month is free, then it is about £12 per month, cancellable any time. Also you can convert to an annual sub (but I don’t think that saved anything) or to an annual Sublime sub which was £150 at any time. They also have duo subs which are aimed at two people using one sub. The free trial period on that was a bit longer I think.

1 Like

Interesting this. Would anyone elaborate on what seems to be a clear preference for Qoboz?
Maybe its a Naim Qoboz synergy? Are the files bigger or different? I’m reading around the web at the moment.
Currently I’m a Tidal subscriber with ND5xs2
Thanks
Martin

1 Like

24 bit versions of tracks/albums seem to be more prevalent and I think I prefer these (this could be my bias though) e.g. Yo La Tengo and Andy Shauf releases yesterday both 24 bit on Qobuz - nice recordings to boot :blush:.

3 Likes

Tidal needs a MQA compatible streamer to unfold the data. Naim streamers are not MQA, so you can only get Hifi and not hifi plus. There is extensive debate on Tidal vs Qobuz, the hive mind seems to suggest that Qobuz is the better bet for Naim streamer owners.

3 Likes

Many thanks guys
Martin
(i think ill try a free trial)

2 Likes

Exactly R32Paul, that’s why I’m debating the switch, MQA definitely sounded better then HiFi with my previous Node so I’m feeling in missing that improvement since our ND5XS2 can’t do MQA… Not finding any discounts for first responders with Qobuz so far in my research but in no way will that sway my decision!!

I had a Node into SN3. Dealer lent me a ND5XS2 for a couple of weeks. On initial demo (at shop), I could not hear much difference between the two. After the kit being on for two weeks there is a significant difference, Node had gone today replaced with my own ND5XS2. Qobuz is so good I see no need for tidal.

7 Likes