ND555 at Olive System

Hate to say… but nd555 is best at low volumes. Even there you can hear almost every detail… :heart_eyes:

@frenchrooster French, I do not own a lot where I can compare but of the ones I can the ND is ahead. Some pressings are only available on vinyl though so not possible to compare as the mastering and cut is key here. ND is excellent, I have tried DCS after lots of noise here and found the sound not to my liking, not nearly as organic and natural sounding as ‘my’ ND setup. Maybe I have just found the sweet spot, who knows.

2 Likes

You clearly need a cd555 to complete that setup.

Any thoughts if I should set nd555 to floating or default (chassis) - currently it is set up as default.

Via analogue interconnects there are a prefix via supercap (prefix has an earthing cable connected to 52), nd555 and the avr p, which is normally on standby or off.

Is the earthing from prefix enough, so that the nd555 should float?

Well… day 4…
The nd555 has complete flipped over my favors in sound.
Went from cdx to cdx-XPs to hdx-XPs to hdx-nDAC-XPs to nd5xs2-nDAC-xps.
And then reactivated my phonosophie deck.
Analogue was always the better sound - in respect of tonality and detail /information. Thought that analogue always wins as it is the better source.
Nd5xs2 is from its tonal spectrum near my TT, but delivers less information. And it sounds digital … without any good/bad judgement
Vinyl was always the winner … in my tiny ears

With ND555 things got different.
It is not sounding analogue, nor digital (like I’m used from CD till nd5xs2).
It is something different.
A source of its own.

I really like vinyl and despite that nd555 might clearly overtaken in resolution, I love the sound of my TT.
And as tempted as i was to keep the one TT sound, so much I was impressed by the new beast.

There is some kind of magic in the nd555 sound - best when listened at low volume at night … never have heared anything similar before.

Now I can decide between blues club and philharmonics :o)

Love it :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I tend to agree with you steve now after my recent experience.
Waste off time almost using the new apex dCS dacs with naim as it just doesn’t let it true potential shine through.
If you are going to use naim pre amps ( can’t include the S1 as never tried it) stay with the naim dacs, cheaper as well and works better together.
If you want more then its a complete change really, as its the only way as i found out.

1 Like

Sorry to push - floating or chassis? Do any of you have an idea ? Thank you so much in advance

Further one:
Is it correct, that on the Home Screen from nd555 there are only a few options - and also Spotify and Bluetooth, even if I had disabled them via app.
Under input there is only Webradio. Can not find quobuz or upnp server…

It is a bit strange - even qute can be fully handled via remote.
Why there is no option to browse through my nas or Qobuz via remote?

I tried both and choosed the best for my ears.
You have to ask those who have a turntable and an Nd555. Maybe @Bart .

1 Like

It depends on whether you have equipment already using the Earth as a reference like a CDS3 or perhaps the Phonosophie. This will degrade things if they are both connected.
Regarding ND555 on its own, no idea what’s better. If you have good mains with a quality earthing point then not floating maybe better, but best confirm with Naim

1 Like

Thanks
The phonosophie have an earthing cable which I have connected to the nac 52.
Is this sufficient - think the phonosophie technician had managed the cable inside the TT.
Does it mean that it is earthed or is it necessary via din?

Any ideas on the strange Home Screen of ND555

Oh dear - there is even this input topic. Should I disable unused ones ore enable all of them?
How do you manage ?

Too many earth connections is not good. If in doubt leave the Earth floating

2 Likes

I changed to floating.
Really like to confirm anyone, that TT earthing cable will do the job.
The former nDAC was on chassis :o)

Now I have only to manage the input on or off? and love to know that with my homescreen everything is fine
Love and hate fine tuning

By the way … I love the nd555 soooo much :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The best is to have only one source connected to the preamp.
If you want to have several sources, earth the one that you want the best sound from, the others on floating.

4 Likes

Thanks, but on my 1990 turntable there is no switch for floating.

Still looking in the web for the strange Homescreen of nd555.
In the menu inputs , there is only web radio, nothing else. Same when pressed input button via remote.
Can anyone check at their machines?

It was advised to enable all imputs for max sound quality.
If you want to maximise things to death ( just joking), @Darkebear will answer all your questions.
Try also to disconnect your Phonosophie when listening to Nd555 , to see if it has really an impact.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. If it’s get such sensitive.
Is it better to mount the 3 antennas? Have not done so, as it is connected via cable.

1 Like

I think nd555 is same as NDX2?

Home Screen (fixed):
Now playing, Spotify, radio, USB
Input, favourites, Bluetooth, settings

We have Spotify, USB and Bluetooth disabled, but they still show on Home screen.

Input button will give only radio by default. Although we also have TV as Sky is on digital input and Vinyl (system automation input to control 252).

uPNP and Tidal are app only, you can’t access them via remote or screen.

The screen on these devices is really only useful when you want to switch between radio stations in the favourites list, or check the track playing from uPNP or on a radio station.

Probably 75% of our listening is on Tidal Connect, the reason we upgraded from 272, so this doesn’t bother us.

The reason we have an NDX2 and not an ND5XS2 is SWMBO wanted a remote.

1 Like

Remove the earth tag .

1 Like

Remove earth tag and set nd555 to chassis/default?

Done it - no humming from input of TT.

Tested it a bit - I hear no real difference.
But thought that nd555 to chassis sounds a bit fuller even with TT earth

1 Like

Naim prefer you don’t make changes via that but use the ‘settings’ control via the Naim App to keep everything in-track aligned is my understanding.

Using the App settings I sat down over a couple of evenings a few years ago and played with toggle on/off each of these and they had a very small but audible effect so I just set them to include what I needed and tried on/off on all the others until I ended-up with what I liked.
I’ve not touched or looked at them for years.
Currently I have:

Off: Bluetooth, Airplay, Remote Mobile Detect and Digital 2 IP
On: Everything else.

Subjectively these manifest as slight improved clarity on piano notes and decay for some settings on/off and on some it was that subliminally it was clearer one way but just less involving - so I set them to how it all snapped into place and made the music most interesting for my system.

Small effect - I just like to have the best available that I paid for if it is there free to be had and takes a little of my time to find out.

DB.

1 Like