ND555 now in place

I am a bit surprised about this discussion. I do it every time this way.
Install both new and old kit. New in a kind preliminary setup but on Fraim with good cable dressing.
First listen must be wow… if not, not good.
And afterwards (not immediately but after some listen) I swap back. In all cases with initially wow for the new kit, after swap back I began to install the new kit in final Fraim setup.
With nd555 it was after 3 days but I had no nds, but nd5xs2 / DAC.

So I do the dunc method all the time :blush:

2 Likes

Not sure its the 552DR as Dan mentioned his LP12 is well ahead of the streaming side, I surmise the 552 isn’t holding anything back.

1 Like

The first time i heard the dCS was at the dealers but in the dcs room.
Can’t remember what the complete system was as it changes constantly, but it made the hairs on arm stand up.
As i said in a different thread that all got deleted, i often wounded why i could never get that dCS sound at home, compared to the dealers set up. Well i found it, but it took me a few year’s.

2 Likes

Good point

But also analogue sounds very different to digital to start with, and it maybe that the turntable isn’t pushing the same limits that a digital source does?

I don’t really know, but digital is very different to vinyl that’s for sure.
Also in my system i found the turntable to be better, but in the same system my dCS was being held back.

1 Like

Yeh, but even Batman knows you’re the ‘Fiddler’ and I wouldn’t expect anything else.:crazy_face:

1 Like

I opted for a different DAC route a few years back. After countless demos of the NDS and ND555 even though superb I wanted something that grabbed my attention. The shift from the nDac wasn’t that big with only a slight improvement.

Defiantly not the 552 holding the ND555 back my system at the time was as per my system profile but a 252 pre instead of the 552 this system had been unchanged for about three years so I was very well versed in the way it sounded.

When the dealer installed the NDS on loan when the ND555 dropped a relay it did not take long to realise the differences between the two streamers just did not find the system as enjoyable.

1 Like

Well, if nothing is holding it back.
It must just be that the ND555 isn’t that much different to the NDS then.
As this simple test has now shown atleast 3 times now.

Your probably right.

Although as others have said I am not sure Russian techno is the best music to compare the qualities of the two streamers.

On the other hand recreating a night at the Braintree Barn circa 1990 or Hacienda would be good fun!

Hi didn’t just use that

I would think it’s unlikely. I’m pretty sure that my NDS isn’t pushing the performance ceiling of my 52 to the point where a better source is indistinguishable. My turntable sounds so much better to me through my 52 than my NDS.

1 Like

Quoted here

1 Like

Well that test can only be done with a better pre on hand, so that’s a question we can only guess at. Unless someone is willing to sort it.
But as said analogue is very different to digital.

Something is either stopping it or there’s no real difference, that is what we do know.

I don’t really want to go and discuss what i found, so all i am going to say is i got a much better SQ running my dac directly into my 500dr, and many have done the same and found the same results.
So take that as you wish.

1 Like

I feel quite sure that my NDS would sound better through a better pre and in that sense the 52 is a limiting factor for SQ. However, I also feel quite sure it is not a limiting factor to the point that a better source is indistinguishable from the NDS. I am very sure that my turntable doesn’t just sound different through my 52 than my NDS, with the right material (most of music I listen to), it outperforms the NDS and the gap between the two is not small.

1 Like

You also have to remember that the 52 got designed with analogue very much in mind.

Plus as i keep saying analogue is very different in the way it sounds to start off with.

But i would probably say that the main difference between the NDS and ND555 is actually very slight.
A better pre might highlight things more, it might not.
Plus when you actually look at the 2 the difference between them dac wise isn’t that much different is it, its more a re design than a total new design.

Anyway all off Dan’s findings are there to read if anyone wants too, but it looks like NDS owners will certainly be more happy.
Any more questions please direct them to Dan.

Cheers dunc

1 Like

My guess is NDS end of the road being replaced by ND555 was very much due to Naim realising streaming would be a much bigger thing than they planned for with NDS meaning NDS rapidly became outdated as a streamer. As a DAC it is still very much a wonderful product.

3 Likes

Haven’t read past the thread I’m replying to yet.

I’ve said in the past that I often wondered if an ND5XS2 hooked up to an NDS would give an ND555 a run for its money. Looking forward to find out…

1 Like

Dan I’m about half way into this thread and I have one very important question…

Where can I find this Russian station?

I’m in if there’s a space.

I understand it’s challenging follow what has happened in this thread dropping in late :smile: Naim tour is full and how to find Russian techno is written earlier. Somewhere :see_no_evil:

1 Like