ND555 remote used with NDX2

I know it’s not officially *recommended *, but would be an interesting comparison.
System automation has been around for quite a long time, and I don’t think it’s any problem to use, just that digital controls are so much more precise and easy to adjust.

1 Like

Naim had to implement the digital control as it’s a requirement for AirPlay and Chromecast certification.
On the first gen. streamers they resisted the pressure to add AirPlay support citing sound quality effects, which for a company like Naim seems about right to me, but times and expectations change.

I know, and as it was therefore needed but not doable without reducing SQ at least a little when used, they recommend not to use it.

As they do not add the same caveat for the system automation, I would expect that there is no such downside to using it. And if they had implemented system automation for similar reasons as the digital volume, to satisfy some external need/pressure that cannot be avoided, I would think that they would add the same caveat.

Naim do not but I did raise an issue a while back about whether the RC5 connection compromised the sound and @Darkebear added to the discussion.

Can’t find it in the search now though.

G

Yes, I feel they implemented automation for convenience, like airplay, Chromcast…
However I have no Naim pre, neither new streamer, so can’t compare.
But think would use the volume control of my pre, with its remote.

Yes, and other people said no difference and so on and so forth as always. Some people hear a difference between PCM bits being sent by different UPnP servers. That’s why I wrote that personally I trust Naim to say so if they recommend forgoing the convenience for ultimate SQ, and if someone doesn’t they have to check for themselves

Well it is a convenience feature, of course it was implemented for convenience. What I am saying is that I believe that Naim would mention a bad effect on SQ, they do for other things as well

But think would use the volume control of my pre, with its remote.

My understanding is that the automation physically turns the volume control of the pre just like the remote, no? The only question then is if you believe that the existence of the cable between the two units is bad for SQ even when there is no signal on it (i.e. it is not turning the knob)

Tell me if I am wrong (about the turning of the poti), it’s 3 more weeks until the NDX2 and 252 take residence and I can check for myself, and I did order the RC5 cable as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Curious on your next feedback on that.

It was in Nd555 impressions I think to remember. @Darkebear doesn’t use it .

1 Like

It will of course take a while before I try because it only leads down the rabbit hole as long as the running-in of the new units leads to sudden and inexplicable changes in sound (in the first weeks of the 300 there were phases when I thought it broke). And during and after this I will be floored for a while by how great it will be :star_struck: But I will try and am pretty sure I will remember to post

When I has NDX/282 I could hear no difference at all to the sound using system automation. But of course, you’ve only got to mention any such a possibility here, and someone is bound to pop up and say that it sounds different.

1 Like

No - I try things and if they sound worse, they are worse. Theoretically if it was all done with no possibility of an electrical circuit being formed, perhaps by optical means, then probably it would not sound worse. But it did and in a top-end system you hear it easy - dulls things and takes the edge off timing IMO.

But if you cannot hear it or do not want to try to hear it - then that is fine too! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

2 Likes

Indeed - it clearly is worse for me, but great it is not for others. :bear:

My Dealer turns it off for demos on the Statement system because it sounds worse, but maybe it is not such a big deal on some systems.

DB.

1 Like

And here we have two posts perfectly demonstrating the problem. In the end, trying for yourself is the only option if you care. I can’t hear what you hear

“But if you absolutely want hear it - then that is fine too” would be just as valid for someone to say if they are equally convinced that there is no difference.

Which ignores potential other factors, as I know you are aware

Does this mean unplugging the cable?

Yes.

It really is not a problem - it is just two sincere opinions. :slightly_smiling_face:
I say what I hear and do not expect any authority on it. It may prompt someone to try and form their own opinion.
There is not one truth with different people, systems and dispositions.
I like opinions reasonably stated that differ from my experience so I can investigate.

What a forum is for - for me anyway!

DB.

3 Likes

Yes, it would be no surprise to find that this is system dependent.

Indeed - it a small effect that many will consider not that important for some music - but annoying in another context.

I’m glad Naim include it but also that like many other features they allow me to turn-off what I do not need if I think it detracts.

DB.

1 Like

Certainly. I meant just that it’s a problem when trying to find answers for such things in forum posts. What you get are paths to answers that you can explore - which is great and all that a human being can hope to receive in the great questions of life, like hifi.

1 Like

With System automation turned on and plugged in, it is possible to control the volume on the preamp (yes, the potentiometer rotates). It is also possible to use the app to switch inputs on the preamp.