ND5XS2 internet radio dropouts

I think it might be different on the later kit Mike, I don’t see that either on my NDX2/app

Hi Mike, the new streamers do not show buffer levels, either on the app or the front panel. I guess Naim think that with the increased buffer size, there is no need.

No I’m not seeing it either

Yes, Tidal HiFi over wifi and it is solid.

I’m listening to Radio Paradise AAC 44.1KHz 317kb/s and so far this is solid too. Seems to be particularly bad with BBC Radio, even when switching to the lower res streams

Seems odd, did you do a factory reset since you bought it?

If you mean pin in the reset button in the back then yes I did. Not something I want to do again given the problems I had getting it working with wifi in the first place

OK I did nt realise,
@ChrisSU I take your point about no longer needed with the big buffer sizes on regular streaming, but its a good indicator tool on internet connection problems, maybe something Naim to rethink about

I agree it might still be useful on occasion, but the remote and display on the new streamers have significantly reduced functionality compared to the old ones, so I guess Naim think otherwise.

1 Like

And of course in the case of the ND5XS2 it is a case of what display? what remote?

I’ve been doing a bit more testing. JB Radio2 and Radio Paradise both seem solid with 320kbps mp3 streams. I’ve manually added BBC Radio 2 as a 128kbps mp3 stream and that seems solid too so far. However the AAC 128kbps BBC Radio 2 stream in the Naim app BBC Radio section still seems to struggle.

Strange. Have you tried the BBC HD streams? These are higher quality, and should work on all Naim streamers (except for some very early models)

Look in Naims BBC list, the BBC services are all HLS, not AAC, there is standard & high res, high res is 48kHz 339kb/s

So, Naim app -> Internet Radio -> BBC Radio -> BBC Radio 2 - > BBC Radio 2 HD and it is showing as AAC 48.0KHz 320kbps not HLS
Other BBC HD stations are showing the same and still constantly dropping out. The manually added R2 128kbps mp3 stream is still solid

Yes I’ve tried them and they are very unreliable

… strange, all my BBC’s are HLS, it must be a function of the Android app or the ND5x2 software. Outside that I have no idea, but I know an iRadio man who does @Stevesky

Hi @Mike-B

It’s an AAC stream encapsulated in a HLS container.
Primarily HLS chops the stream up into chunks and optionally different bitrates and acts a directory of where all those chunks are stored. The players job is to read that directory and glue all the bits together as it plays.

In the case of the BBC on live streams they buffer around 5 secs of audio, so a network connection that is fringe or suffering from high interference / shared with many other devices or users can drop out. Its no different to why video conferencing the audio gurgles / drop out, or video freezes for n’th seconds, while casual browsing the net on non realtime streams is fine.

Best regards

Steve

2 Likes

I’ve got the url for the HLS stream from here https://garfnet.org.uk/cms/tables/radio-frequencies/internet-radio-player/ and added it as a station at http://myradio.naimaudio.com
It shows up in the app as AAC and just doesn’t work in any way that could be considered reliable

Latest test is to use the HLS stream url on my phone and it is streaming flawlessly using wifi in the same room as the ND5XS2 so why on earth is the ND5XS2 struggling with the stream?

Can you rig a temporary ethernet or move the ND5 to an ethernet connection & try that. If it works on ethernet then it’s a wireless problem & either a fault in the ND5 or something with your WLAN.

I’ve tried it with an ethernet cable connected to a powerline adapter. The internal webpage of the ND5XS2 reports that ethernet is connected but the BBC AAC streams still drop out consistently. Streaming mp3 internet radio streams and FLAC files from the NAS or Tidal are solid with the ethernet cable connected,

Well 16 Mbps ADSL is outstandingly good so should have no issues with that.
I would look at your internal wifi as per my suggestion, and ensure you are not using anything like powerline adapters that are not proper Ethernet and can confuse the streamer.
It might be there is some sort of interoperability issue between your wifi access point and the streamer, try a different access point and see if all starts working.