ND5XS2 vs Digione Signature as a transport

Has anyone tried both the ND5XS2 and the Allo Digione Signature with Shanti as a transport? Is there any discernible sound difference when paired with a proper DAC?
I use mainly Roon so the Naim app is not important for me.

Now that would be an interesting “bake-off”! Especially if the D1Sig was feeding an nDAC-XPS.

So if somebody would like to send me a ND5XS2…………

Well, it was worth a try :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

You should keep an eye on the Sonore products.
They will be renewing their products soon.

The OpticalRendu was/is a very good streamer and will be replaced, probably by something even better. In this context, I think the ND5XS2 has lost its relevance, except maybe to have an aesthetically coherent set.

Bold statement on a Naim forum.
Being a cheapskate I recently tried digital transport plus dac options recently but could not match synergy and simplicity of ND5 XS 2 in my system.
Not convinced it’s lost relevance just yet.

1 Like

I suspect you might not have fully understood the OP’s question and therefore misinterpreted my answer.

The ND5XS2 is a very good streamer/DAC in its price range.

But as a standalone transport, it is possible to find equivalent or better for this price, especially if you one is interested in Roon only.

1 Like

There was the exact same thread from June 2020: 111 posts, but no one has compared really.

Have you tried personally?

OP has sunk costs here.
Thanks for clarity on your opinion that ND5 XS 2, as transport, has lost its relevance but not as a one stop streaming solution.
Relieved I don’t use a dac, god help them that do eh.

1 Like

I need no help from any god in this regard, thank you!

2 Likes

I already have a ND5XS2 and a Qutest but I’m wondering if I can downsize a bit and replacing the ND5XS2 for an Allo. If the difference is marginal then I would be better off selling the ND5XS2 and save some money.

In this context, I would keep the streamer. With what you will make at resale, you will not be able to buy better transport. Or even an equivalent.

The P800 platform is brilliant, so much so that it is even used on the ND555. If you look at the white pages, you can figure that out.

Another advantage of the ND5XS2 is the long-term software support. You will have all the updates for many years to come. This is a crucial point to consider.

3 Likes

If you are using your existing ND purely as a transport, then I would suggest leaving it alone. The Allo USBridgeSig/DigiOneSig/Shanti combination will cost upwards of ÂŁ700 inc postage (maybe even more so in recent times, coz of the B word) and you would then have to faff around with the firmware.

I do it coz it entertains me in my retirement… :laughing:

2 Likes

Very good point. Personally over the last two years or so I’ve noticed marked improvements in SQ. My system, ears, room etc.

1 Like

No comment!

We have similar set ups.
I actually preferred XS3 to SN3 (with ND5 XS 2).
Not tried external DAC on ND5 XS 2 as I don’t like redundancy it creates but many do and assume you must prefer this presentation.

1 Like

You did comment :laughing:

All right, then. Naim won’t reach the longevity of Windows XP maintenance, but there’s no doubt that Naim will do what it takes to keep its ND line of streamers up to date.

1 Like

Buqqer…
“For ’tis the sport to have the engineer
Hoist with his own petard!”

Seriously though, Focal will only keep the firmware (on the current streamers) updated for as long as the business model holds up (see the many moans and complaints about the older generation streamers).

2 Likes

Top tip, thanks Thomas. I shall keep a look out!

1 Like

Divine intervention is unlikely …

Having said that, the ND5 XS2 is an excellent bit of kit for the money. But I do wish that Naim would offer a streamer-only product.

1 Like

Other vendors are filling the gap.

We were about to splurge on an ND5XS2 as a transport but then the INNUOS Pulse range was launched (with availability Sept?) and there’s the new Lumin U2 mini getting good reviews plus as others list above other vendors are refreshing/launching transports.

So we’re left with a decision… 6 naim lights and satisfy the OCD, or 5 naim lights and something else as the best VFM transport at around £2K. There are forum members using the ND5XS2 as a transport with exotic DACs so it cannot be discounted.

We have been using a RPI with HifiBerry SPDIF board into our nDAC and it sounds fab.

2 Likes