NDS cutting out

Missed this update. That eliminates a faulty network cable then.

Now done the factory reset. Will let you know. Thank you all for your input

1 Like

Still cutting out after 14-16 mins.
Not sure if it’s worth the money sending it for repair - old platform etc. Not keen on spending 17,000+ on ND555. Thoughts?

You should speak to Naim first before considering any other options. I understand it is frustrating.

Yes I agree, talk to Naim support. If I were replacing it, I would go for a New Classic streamer NSS333. I suspect the ND555’s days are numbered anyway.

1 Like

Thank you. Just looked at this. Looked at manual and really not clear. Can this be powered by 555PS

Buy a modern dacless streamer.

People are upgrading legacy Naim streamers with modern dacless streamers for improved functionality for as little as £500 and reporting an uplift in sound quality.

No doubt someone will eventually advise you buy a ndx S2. :blush:

Thanks Fatcat. Any suggestions?

I wouldn’t like to recommend a particular streamer. Everybody has different internet networks with different cables and different equipment attached. With different quality of hifi.
Plus I’m no golden ears, I can’t hear any difference between chassis and floating on my ndac.

However, I did post a few weeks ago that I was very happy with the Primare NP5 I purchased.

It doesn’t do native qobuz yet and it takes a lot of finger on phone action to get it to cast from qobuz.

If you’ve got a high end system probably worth getting something better.

2 Likes

You would need to look through the New Classic thread Pt 2. I don’t remember whether you could use the 555 PS with the 333. But the power supply that you are supposed to use is the NPX 300 and you could likely almost do a no cost trade in between the two power supplies. Of course you could use the 333’s internal power supply to start with.

1 Like

Hi RK, sounds similar to an issue with my NDS couple of years ago. Sent it back to Naim who fixed a fault with a switch in the NDS itself. The 555PS was fine. Mine was repaired FOC as under warranty so can’t comment on cost.

1 Like

When I had an NDS it seemed to run very hot…I ended up using a fan to cool it! Having said that it never cut out. Is yours running hot?

Doesn’t feel hot to touch.

Have found a temporary solution by using NDS as a DAC for a Squeezebox Touch. Giving time to assimilate the options.

Based on this method you could look at adding a used ND5XS2 to your NDS/555DR this setup wouldn’t be that far off an ND555

3 Likes

Even better value if the XS2 is ‘pre-loved’ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

21 hours. :grin:

1 Like

You could use a HoloAudio Red, and feed the NDS with a S/PDIF through a decent digital cable, if the NDS has a streamer board issue and the cost of repair is greater than a £1,000.
This is just a Streamer device with no DAC.
If you were to go for a ND5XS2 or even a NDX2 you are buying a Streamer with DAC and not using the DAC in that component. Ridiculous waste of money, when the DAC in the NDS is still reference class.
Best used with Roon too.

1 Like

Disagree. Lots of people here have used separate DACs with the ND5XS2 - up to and including Chord Dave level.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.