NDS or NDX 2?

if sound with network noise is more engaging, with more authority and with more meat on the bones, i prefer it, yes.

Absolutely, nothing wrong with that… however the Naim test is good to do… to see if you really do hear a change between the Ethernet lead connected and disconnected whilst a track plays out… or whether it’s something else you are responding to.

1 Like

it was at my dealer place. Maybe i will try it one day.

Another reason I’m so happy with my new Naim streamer. I did this the other day after about 30-45 seconds into my favorite track streamed from Tidal, I unplugged the ethernet cable. Previously this would have been game over but with the new streamers it didn’t skip a beat.

1 Like

Is that a sound quality observation?!

I can’t say it’s directly a sound quality observation, but more of an observation for me. When it was unplugged the only thing I could tell was my iPad lost connection but music kept playing and I was oblivious to it. Previously with my non-Naim streaming solution it would have been a hard crash in the middle of listening, complete buzz-kill.

it’s just what is called buffer. The file has been in some way stocked .

1 Like

Do you mean the music stopped?

Yes! Music stopped. My old streaming solution wasn’t very resilient. I really LOVE my new setup. No drops, almost instant-on access, easy to use app, less wires/connections and for my GF, less clutter.

1 Like

Meicord!! Ethernet cat-6 is what you need bud^^
Available from (No Name mentioned here) Ebay will find your only UK Source…
I strongly urge you to^^

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve not tried Meicord. I’m currently using Wireworld Starlight from Core to Cisco 2960 switch, and Designacable Belden Catsnake from Cisco to NDX2. Weirdly I’m getting great SQ with the Starlight and Belden Catsnake combo so I’ve stopped swapping cables around for now. I may try out Meicord at some point.

1 Like

Does it have to be a streamer? The NDS is a great DAC but with an obsolete streaming platform. The NDX 2 has a more recent streaming platform but a slightly lesser DAC.

You could also go for a DAC without streaming platform (see Sub 5 grand DACs) and replace the HDX with something like a Melco, a InnuOS or an Allo USBridge Signature or DigiOne Signature, depending on the DAC.

1 Like

Hey Goid buddy!
I am also using Cisco 2960 switch, to Core, NS01 and NDS. I was extremely surprised the huge improvement the Miecords brought to the SQ. Their efficacy is breathtaking, they disappear out of the equation leaving you with,
clarity, image depth, awesome definition and dynamics, to my ears an almost vinyl like Natural Warmth and extremely easy to listen to.

(Oct 2012)
The Meicord Opal ethernet cables were reviewed in Hi-Fi Critic …
For their cost compared to SQ^^ an absolute No-Brainer!!

I forgot to mention I am using 213Mbps Virgin S3 Router to Cisco

If you really want to go cheap - and still get NDS level replay - and same features - grab a s/h UnitiQute 2 + a Naim Dac.

you really think that uniqute/ ndac is on the level of the nds?

As you know I have a very high regard for nDAC + 555DR PS, but sourced from a high quality SPDIF.

Phil

I really like the Naim Dac but IMO you need a higher quality source than a UnitiQute2 to get anywhere approaching the NDS sound quality

2 Likes

Might I kidnap that comment? I have an ndx and really enjoy it. However the ndac has caught my attention. Is it a worthwhile investment to better the ndx or should I focus on a xps? I’m only considering used for financial reasons so 555ps is out of the question no matter how much better it is.

I would expect the Naim Dac to work really well with the NDX and provide a noticeable upgrade. From memory, I think that the NDX has the Burr-Brown PCM1791A dac chip inside but the Naim Dac has the better PCM1704K as used in the NDS and ND555.

With the current price of the Naim Dac 2nd hand it would be easy to buy a used one to try for yourself and if you don’t like it you could sell again for pretty much the price that you paid.

1 Like

yes, but the uniqute is not nds transport…