NDS or NDX 2?

Try the Meicord by all means but also try Blue Jeans and Connectix - they’re a lot cheaper and also certified cables.

I considered this move when I had a bare NDX.

Whilst I didn’t listen I had a feeling, based on other people’s experience that I would end up adding a PSU to the Naim DAC over time. This would have meant 3 boxes for a source which seemed to many to me.

So instead I added an XPS DR to the NDX which gave a worthwhile improvement, then I changed the NDX to NDS which was a significant improvement. It never ends though and this week the XPS DR was swapped for a 555 DR which has yielded a similar improvement as NDX > NDS.

3 Likes

Well - look at the difference in outlay. The NDS by itself won’t even work - so the UQ2/ndac is already way ahead.

Now - if you want to get a nds/555DRPSU, it would already be unfair to compare it to UQ2/ndac. When you start saying UQ2/ndac/555PSU - things are closer.

Simon used to run ndx/ndac/555DR and was never convinced of the NDS…

Still - at this point even the NDS is fairly cheap s/h so this is a moot point. (Saw it for US $4K on the US HiFi s/h site recently- and still no buyer). Still - UQ2/ndac allows me to use no PSU. :slight_smile:

Simon had the minority view here. He preferred also bare cdx2 vs cdx2/ xps2. All tastes are possible, no problem for that. However a lot moved from hdx/ ndac/ 555ps to nds/ 555ps. Hdx is better vs uniqute.

As an NDS/XPSDR user, I would love to hear more about the difference with the 555DR. I can not afford a 555DR at this time, so took a little different route, and added a Chord TT2 to my NDS/XPSDR. To my ears, this was an improvement, but I am always yearning to use both those Burndys I have sitting in the box, by adding a 555DR.

1 Like

If you currently prefer the presentation of your Chord DAC, I suspect that upgrading your XPSDR to a 555DR is not going be enough to persuade you to abandon your Hugo TT2. A NDS/XPSDR/HugoTT2 sounds to be a very competent combination. Maybe the next move would be to audition an M Scaler?

Definitely the Mscaler will be next, having heard what it does to the Dave many times. It is also just over a third of the price of a new 555DR. Unfortunately no dealers near me even stock the 555, just so I can hear one.

I for one would be very interested in your findings if you do audition the M Scaler. I’m at a point now that I don’t feel the need to treat my ears to further musical ‘goodness’ by upgrading… but I remain curious about such matters and enjoy reading about the experiences of others who generously give their time to post on this Forum.

2 Likes

I will definitely post my impressions when I get the Mscaler, I am like you, I love hearing about all different types of gear, even though sometimes I feel it might be looked down on in this forum to discuss Chord, or any non-Naim electronics.

1 Like

The 555ps builds on what the NDS/XPS DR brought. I would say that the improvement gain is as much as going from NDX/XPS DR to NDS/XPS DR.

Everything is more natural and engaging, the NDS takes on a different character, sounding much less like a digital source.

Probably what others have said is correct, if you like the Chord sound (I don’t) then a 555 may not persuade you to change. If you can borrow one at home it would give you time to properly evaluate. A gently used one wouldn’t cost you much when you consider the value of the XPS and TT and you already have the burndies,

1 Like

Thanks Trickydickie, that is my problem though, can’t borrow one that easily over here in Canada.

no dealer who can demo you an ndx2/ xps vs ndx2/555 ? not the same but you could have an idea.

That could be a good idea, although the NDX2 doesn’t fully utilise the 555 in the way that the NDS (almost) does so the improvement a 555 makes over an XPS may not be as great.

If that demo is available then an option could be to take your own NDS to the dealers. Not as good as a home demo though.

I was really surprised with the uplift. I was expecting it to be ‘the icing on the cake’ sort of difference but it’s so much more, it transforms the NDS.

Whether it’s preferable to @NO-QUARTER over the Chord dac is anyone’s guess though.

1 Like

No, no dealers in Canada ( near me) with a 555 available that I know of, you have to order these, they simply do not stock the 555. The only option might be to drive 5 hours one way, and go to Chicago to hear a 555, Even then I am guessing he might have one. But that is a different Country, so no bringing my NDS. I guess I could plan a trip to the UK, my home country, but I doubt I will bother at all.

time to return home :smile::rofl:

@NO-QUARTER our cousins overseas are lucky to have all equipment available to demo and in most cases to be lent out to try at home. I can only dream of doing something like that. We’re still waiting to hear/see the SN3. lol

1 Like

I added the XPS DR to my NDX2. Neither the XPS or the 555 are available here for trial. In the end, the 555 was too expensive and I’d didn’t want something I’d only be using half off. Sounds great.

Sorely tempted to add the XPSDR as funds not an issue…Holding out as it sounds so good bare. Resistance weakening though…

G

1 Like

As everything in my system is new inc Naca5, I’m going to leave settle for a few months and then may consider a small furry chap for the NDX2!

Why not buy the proper thing and keep it as Naim intended?