NDX 2 or NSC 222?

Thanks. Yes, that is my understanding.

All depends what are your plans in the future. Are you someone who tends, like a majority of us, to upgrade his system as soon as he can?
If yes, I would go more for the Ndx2. Then SN3, then Ndx2/ 282/ SN3, then Ndx2/ Xpsdr/ 282/ SN3 then 282/250ā€¦
The 222 will not be upgradable.
But if you are sure to not wanting further than 222/300/250.3, then sell your Xs3, buy a second hand Nap 200 for the interim ( power amp similar level to SN3 power amp) and buy the 222. Then 300 ps, then 250.3.

6 Likes

As the German show is only a couple of weeks away, if it were me then I would want to see what new products Naim releases then before deciding on my whole future strategy. Apart from anything else, second hand prices for existing units may well go down.

1 Like

Indeed, as noted in my post. However, more choice is likely to only add to my dilemma!

There is no right or wrong answer here. Do you want the latest, or are you happy with the previous generation. Which will make you happiest when itā€™s sitting in your room? Think about how much you feel comfortable spending. If the 200 series boxes are Ā£5,700 you can be jolly sure that the 300 series will cost even more, very likely double.

3 Likes

I went from ND5XS2 and XS3 to new classic stuff because I was box limited and crucially liked the synergy so a demo of both old and new systems that are your potential goals would help.
If you donā€™t want the Naim sound there are very good cheaper alternatives out there that may suit tastes.
Best.

1 Like

So ~Ā£10k is my notional budget over the next few years. For that I could have an NDX 2 and SN3. With P/X I might stretch to an NSC 222 and NAP 250. Although going Classic is an option to consider, even an NDX 2/282/250 used is going to be a lot more.

Iā€™m guessing that at some point there may be a New Classic 200 series preamp at a sensible price to pair with an NDX 2 or itā€™s replacement. That, with a NC 250 might have better SQ than an NDX 2/SN3. The 300 series will be far beyond what Iā€™d want to spend.

Iā€™d go 222 all day over the NDX2 unless youā€™re going higher up separates, at least a 282/250.

2 Likes

I agree totally that itā€™s worth waiting some weeks because the prices of the classic gear will decrease automatically.
As for the new 300 series classic, I feel it will be outside of most financial capabilities, probably more than 20k each ( streamer and pre).

NDX2 used prices have already dropped considerably this year. Even those who are unaware of its replacement will at least be able to work out that all the green light Classic boxes will be replaced by New Classic models soon enough. I suspect there will still be further price drops, but possibly not as much as you might hope if you are waiting for a used bargain.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently looking at a 1 year old NDX 2 trade in with 4 year warranty for Ā£3,750. Also a grade A refurb SN 3 for Ā£2,750. Do you think prices will go much lower for clean, recent examples?

1 Like

Eventually, yes.

In the coming months, not so sure.

3 Likes

NDX2 isnā€™t suddenly broken by arrival of the 222; itā€™s a current streamer, supported by a new power supply if thatā€™s important and software is likely to be supported for a decade or soā€¦

2 Likes

I would certainly just wait a few weekā€™s, and see what comes.
After that, you will have a better understanding of it all, plus you wonā€™t have made a mistake by buying something you wish you hadnā€™t.

After that, i would pop down to your hifi dealer or nearest shop, tell them what you think you want, and budget. Then, have a few demonstrations as you might find what you want, be it with naim or maybe even something else.
But certainly go and have a listen to as much gear as you can take, as there is certainly lots of great sounding gear available, and some off it very reasonable priced.

Thatā€™s what i would do.

4 Likes

Good advice. Thanks. I bought my current kit in 2016, so I havenā€™t been rushing to upgrade ā€¦ā€¦

Itā€™s a tricky question and one I have been asking myself in relation to new products. For me itā€™s quite unclear what the position of the NDX2 will be if we have a Series 3 standalone streamer. If the assumption that Series 3 products will be priced significantly above Series 2 is correct, then itā€™s quite possible that the demand and prices for the NDX2 will remain stable. People with NDX2/282 for example might prefer to stick for the time being, while others may decide that NDX2 will give them what they want at a significant discount compared to Series 3. Recent NDX2s at discount prices have been readily available for some time so the market may not become saturated in short order. On the other hand the presumed large price differential may push more people to sell up NDX2s and turn to the NSC222 if they want New Classic Naim and decide the Series 3 is beyond their wallet. This is all based on my assumption that Naim is now going to push on with Series 3 and that more Series 2 products will come further in the future and may be very limited in number as Naim seeks to rationalise and reduce the product line.

As others have said itā€™s certainly worth waiting for the time being.

2 Likes

FWIW - Going with a NDX 2 would work fine with the XS 2 and that would allow you to move up to a SN 3 or even separates in the future. This would allow you to upgrade your system at a much lower cost if you purchased a used SN 3 or preamp/poweramp as people trade in their gear to move to the New Classic range.

If you are going to move to the New Classic range I would plan on trading in your ND5 XS and XS 2 at the same time and go for the NSC 222 and new 250 (2023) at the same time.

What ever you do I am sure you will enjoy the musicā€¦ good luck with your decision.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I donā€™t have the funds to go all in right now, whether I choose to go Classic or New Classic. I need to take steps whilst maintaining decent SQ.

My dealer has just now ordered the cable to be able to connect an NSC 222 to my XS 2. So I hope to be able to home demo it against an NDX 2 and let my ears decide. Iā€™ll also ask to have a store demo of New Classic NSC 222/NAP 250 combo to help me decide if that should be my end game.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what improvements theyā€™d make ā€œoverā€ the NDX2 and ā€œbelowā€ the ND555 for any 3 series streamer.

Iā€™m not sure anyone expects any dramatic DAC architecture changes. Adding chassis suspension possibly? The streaming board will surely be the NP800 StreamUnlimited board. I also think it would be surprising if it was architecturally similar to the NDX2, but repackaged in NC clothes. Be interesting to see what happens!

2 Likes

Unsurprising?

4 Likes