NDX 2 or NSC 222?

Don’t overlook a Nova in the mix, often to be seen for £3-3.5k used but ticking plenty of boxes.
The problem once you get a certain number of rungs up the Naim ladder is unless you have a lot of cash or appetite for debt you’ll feel the need to keep on (almost) endlessly tinkering adding increasingly expensive enhancements in the form of cabling and power supplies.
If money is already in your though process widen the radar certainly to used kit and consider what suits your budget first and foremost.
If you ended up with a Nova you’d still be able to flip it for little loss in a year or so’s time regardless!

7 Likes

I don’t know, perhaps someone knows, if the new classic serie 300 streamer to come will be situated between the Ndx2 and Nd555?
Or it will replace and improve above the Ndx2, which will be soon discontinued?

I didn’t suggests the Nova, despite owning one, as the OP seems intent on a serious upgrade. But it has many advantages, as you explain very well. I swapped an NDX2 and SN3 for mine and am very happy with it. Another Forum member recently swapped an SN3, Chord Dac etc for one, and is also happy with it.

The NDX2/SN3 or go Perspex dilemma is one that’s going to come up repeatedly over the coming months. Some must have new. Some are happy with old. As I said above there is no right answer, no ‘best’. Just get what feels right.

7 Likes

Certainly not a binary answer and dependant on all the usual factors. In my case I’ve got a SN3/NDX2 in it’s own room and an Atom in the lounge, just by way of routine the Atom gets more action.
I guess my point also with that previous post is the dilema of the extended upgrade process.
Someone with a Nait XS buying a bargain Supercap with a view to add a NAC 252 in 10 years time.
I’ve made the same mistake myself so speak from experience (not a Supercap in my case, merely an extreme example).
I’d be more inclined to buy to budget these days, enjoy immediately and flip it as funds are saved, the almost universal positive with Naim kit being strong used resell values.
There’ll always be a more capable and less affordable system, that problem never goes away!

1 Like

Once any new streamer is announced it won’t be too long before the NDX2 and ND5XS2 will be dismissed as ancient and outdated just like the NDX, NDS and ND5XS are now. If you have the money go for the NSC222 and save up for the 250. I doubt you will regret it.

1 Like

I’ll see how the home demo goes and what if anything is announced at Munich.

If I prefer the NSC 222 over the NDX 2 then I will have to give it a lot of thought as it puts me on track to get a NC NAP 250 down the line to realise its full benefits. If I prefer the NDX 2 I’ll probably get a late, vgc used model if I can secure a decent P/X.

1 Like

The NDX etc. were very old when they were discontinued and they were replaced by a completely redesigned streaming board. The New Classics use the same streaming board as the NDX2 and will not bring the same big advances that we saw in the 2nd gen products, so they will remain far more relevant to peoples needs today.

3 Likes

From what I am reading about the new Classics I doubt that. Although the streaming platform is the same the rest of the hardware has been massively improved and that is what most people will focus on. I very rarely hear that the old streamers SQ is not up to modern standards, the dismissal has always been due to lack of new features, Quobuz, Roon support etc. and even these can be achieved by the old platform very easily and cheaply now. The NDX2 etc. will eventually be dismissed on the basis that the new stuff has new and better trickle down tech.

StreamUnlimited no longer seem to offer it, and have replaced it with the Stream810, so I wonder if that means it will be the NP810 in newer hardware.

4 Likes

Hmm… Surprising… to me, anyway… :thinking:
Had assumed the NSC222 would have something newer…?

The streaming module (the NP800) looks to be the same, but the digital board carrying the network interfaces, digital inputs, power control etc is updated over the version found in the ND5XS2 / NDX2 / ND555 generation.

4 Likes

For usability, platform tech and features, my understanding is that the NSC222 brings nothing that an NDX2 does not. We may be waiting for NP810-platform products for quite some time.

Thus, as others suggest, the big deciding factors for now may well be convenience/ box count against VFM.

After all, if you will one day want a separate power amp, a NC250 will cost £5700 as I understand it. A s/h 300DR would cost about £4K from eBay, but it is 2 boxes. A ‘classic’ 250DR costs more like half that.

With some patience, a 252 would cost about the same. If you pick a ‘mere’ 282, it costs closer to £3K s/h, and a NDX2 and a SCDR can be found for less.

So a bit over £11K could get NC 222 and 250 (no PS), or NDX2/ 282/ SCDR/ 250. More SQ from more boxes?

For little more than the cost of the 3 NC boxes, one could probably have NDX2/ XPSDR/ 252/ SCDR/ 300DR. I’ expect to latter to sound a bit better and to be completely updatable for many years, but it is 6 boxes.

For max SQ per £, of course you can buy serviced 52 & PS with 300DR (or even 500DR!) plus NDX2 and XPSDR. Of course, that means mixed box styles and lots of boxes and may be avoided for those reasons alone.

1 Like

So… the Streaming functionality is the same - as the NDX2…?

So far. It offers the same services.

2 Likes

But its ‘newer’ - and has more/better functionality - than the 272…?

A NDX2 would suit me - but they are still way too much, pre-loved… :expressionless:

Interesting, thanks for that!

Maybe @110dB can confirm, either way…?

The biggest gain is the much better volume control found in the ncs222. This alone will make a huge difference in sound quality over all the other naim pre amps apart from the statement, as it takes after the Statement rather than the old pot design, which is not a great way to do volume these days.
Then you also have the much inpoved 250, put them together and you have a very nice simple system.

Just a shame, naim won’t put the ncs222, 250, and power supply into a bigger one box.
Or maybe they will do something like this going forward?

1 Like

Indeed the previous gen platform still makes a lot of sense. It’ll be interesting to see what the NSS 333 brings to the party over the NDX2, especially with the NPX300 in tow.

2 Likes

Thanks. All useful thoughts. Of course, picking up good used kit can be a bit of a waiting game, with the need to pounce when a good one becomes available, funds permitting.

What I need is to decide is which road to go down based on where I might end up and whether I feel the SQ benefits are worth it to me. Hence my upcoming home demo.

Going NC is simpler - less boxes is definitely more attractive to me. Maybe I could cope with 4 or possibly 5. But 6 is too much I feel. Going Classic allows for smaller steps, and you can stop when you are happy without necessarily going all the way. Decisions, decisions!

1 Like