NDX-2 with XPSDR

When you say ‘exceptional’ seakayaker, could you elaborate? I’m toying with adding one but it sounds great without…what am I missing?

Cheers,

G

2 Likes

Maybe if we bought 2 we’d get a good deal! Interested in hearing SK’s impressions too. They’re a lot of wonga though.

I can’t speak for the NDX2, but with my 272 the improvement between XPS and 555 was much greater than going from bare to XPS. The XPS makes things better but the 555 moves it to a different level altogether. It’s important, though, to think about how the money is best spent in the context of the overall system, which you don’t mention, and your ultimate setup.

1 Like

@GraemeH

GraemeH, when I upgraded from the NDX to NDX 2 in March I thought that was a significant upgrade and when I had a home demo of the XPS DR in September for a week I called my dealer and requested he order me one. He had one in stock and came out a few days latter and installed it.

A response I posted in a thread dated Sept 10…

"My system configuration is: NAS > NDX 2 > SuperNait 2 > NAC A5 > NAIM Ovator S-400

I upgraded from a NDX to a NDX2 earlier in the year. I currently have a demo XPS DR power supply at the house. After several days of listening I have asked my dealer to order one for me. When I added the XPS to the system there was an immediate difference in the music, wider soundstage, clarity, uplift in the base, many ‘wow’ moments.If you can get a home demo, I would recommend it, but only if you have the money to spend. If you demo a PS you will want one…"

in another thread I wrote on October 4th

"…adding the XPS DR to my NDX 2 was a very noticeable and positive upgrade. Yes, it was expensive from my point of view and may have been able to live without it, but having had it in the house for a long demo I went ahead and placed the order.

A Very Happy & Satisfied Customer!"

I would recommend you go to a dealer if you can and listen to a NDX 2 without a PS for a few tracks and then replay the same tracks with a XPS DR and I believe you will experience the value the PS brings to the system. A home demo would be better if you have a dealer who will loan you one. As I mentioned above I would only demo the XPS DR if you have the money to spend because if you hear the difference you will want one.

JMHO - YMMV

I hope that was of some help.

6 Likes

Thanks very much seakayaker.

G

This thread has quite a bit on the XPS DR added to an NDX2:

I added an XPS DR to my NDX2 with great results, quite a significant upgrade I found. Lower noise floor, more detail and much more expansive soundstage. The 555 may be a little better, but is very expensive and is not all utilised when paired with the NDX2. I very happy with the NDX2 / XPS DR combo as an end system for streaming.

2 Likes

Thanks all.
I’ve just pulled the trigger on a used XPS-DR. Looking forward to hearing the results when it arrives.
My amp is a Yamahaa A-S3000 and speakers Usher Dancer Mini 2’s. TT is GOrbe with Origin Live Encounter mk2 and Transfiguration Phoenix S through a Diablo/NCPSU.

Thinking of going back to Naim for Amps in the not too distant future. I did enjoy my old NAC82/Supercap-2/NAP250-2.

Cheers all.

2 Likes

Smart, initially I think it’s more “efficient” to put the price difference in for example the preamplifier.

I’ve just committed to a ‘pre-loved’ XPS DR for my NDX2. Fingers crossed it delivers all the niceties I’ve experienced adding a power supply in the past.

G

2 Likes

Congratulations to @CautiousLip and @GraemeH with pulling the trigger on the XPS DR!

…may you enjoy the uplift in performance as much as I did.

Look forward to hearing your feedback once you have had time to give the combination a listen.

3 Likes

This is precisely why I try to stay away from our local Naim dealer! Too tempting and makes my decent system sound broken for 2-3 days. lol

2 Likes

Well - just arrived today and it’s been warming up this afternoon.

So far, there’s an obvious improvement. Sounds more solid, bass more defined, soundstage wider etc.

I can see myself going back to Naim amps in the not too distant future …

2 Likes

Congratulations… The NDX2/XPSDR combination is wonderful. I’m sure you are going to love it. Listening to Aja/Steely Dan on mine right now. Sounding sublime.

2 Likes

Mine arrived this afternoon too! Just switched on and yes, immediately obvious as you say. Looking forward to the weekend already when it will have warmed up and I have some time.

G

2 Likes

You know you’ll be trading it in for a 555DR within 6 months…! :grin:

6 Likes

Buying 2nd hand does make sense. Bought a used NDX2 2018 and XPSDR 2017 and saved 40% off new price :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Similar. I bought a b-stock 2018 NDX2 and a 2016 XPS DR and saved about 35%.

1 Like

Do many people use a 555DR with an NDX2?
I haven’t seen that talked about very often?

There have been some responses over time that mention that they have a 555-DR with the NDX 2. A couple of people have mentioned that they have had a demo of both the 555-DR and XPS-DR and chose the XPS-DR. Main reason was cost (USA Pricing) with the XPS-DR at $6599.00 vs the 12,999 for the 555.

I chose the XPS-DR after a long home demonstration with my NDX 2. I did not demo the 555, I’m positive it would have been an improvement over the XPS-DR but could not (would not) spend that much for a Power Supply for the NDX 2.

2 Likes

I can only relate my experience with the CDX2. The 555PS was a much bigger improvement over the XPS than the XPS was over the bare CXS2.

1 Like