NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

No, more sparkly at the top end, quite nuanced I think. But, they have a very long play in and are bright and fatiguing until they open after many many months, I’d suspect that the Tribes would become more neutral with time, the demos must be very new?

Interesting. Tribe Tower I think very new, but I don’t mind bright.

Good shout
I think the simplicity of this two box system is a real strength and for me is an end game set up.
Its a big step up in SQ from the brilliant value for money Nova - at twice the price it should be - and for me delivers a good enough sound so I don’t feel the need for separate PSUs, stacks of racks etc. Simple and impressive.

I have SN2 and NDX 2 and run these through PMC 25.23s and they sound fabulous. It sounds very musical and has (whatever the correct term is for ‘ooomph’) with enough detail, separation and soundstage to really lose yourself in the music. The sound fills my small/medium size room and it’s almost impossible to drag yourself away from.

I will be interested to see what people make of the SN3 (which I would consider) but I have no interest in climbing the ladder with pre/power separates.

4 Likes

Hi Mike_S

I suspect this may be down to the speakers involved. It could be that the extra power provided by the HiCAP means a more challenging speaker is being better driven. Whereas those systems that are better balanced will respond less well to the addition of a HiCAP. My system sounded a little more weighty but not as sprightly and musical with one and I personally prefer the SN2 bare.

3 Likes

I think I’m getting a HiCAP on demo and going with a XPS, but I’m getting confused and I’m on my second beer.

1 Like

Cheers mate!

1 Like

What colour are your PMC’s? I really need to find a set in NZ to have a listen.

My iPad is handily in the kitchen drawer close to my speakers so it is very convenient. I usually have my laptop upstairs so have to run two devices - just lazy really!

I did use the laptop as core and controller on a few occasions and yes it does work very well. I will probably take out a Roon subscription but not just yet. I am not interested in all of Roon’s features but it is a very good solution.

Exactly my thinking - why add anything?

2 Likes

Mine is on order, should arrive mid-August. I am looking forward to it and imagine the power amp and PSU improvements should negate the desire/need to have an external PSU. I am more than happy with the SN2 just that with it being so new, my dealer agreed an excellent deal to change to the SN3.

The PMC 25.23s come in four finish options – oak, walnut, amarone and diamond black.
The pair I have are walnut.
I have heard a number of people say there are other speakers that do one particular style better than the 25.23s but not over a wide range of musical styles while the 25.23s perform very well across many styles. Personally I think they excel at rock, pop, electronic, jazz, acoustic - I might be tempted to look elsewhere if I just listened to classical.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I’ll be really interested to hear your views when you compare the two.

Great thread guys, can I get involved, although I only have the original NDX.

So I use the original NDX with a Supernait2 and HiCapDR.
Huge love of Totem speakers hear also and highly recommend especially with this combination. I currently use the Sky Towers.

The other upgrades I have made to my system includes adding a HiLine interconnect and a Powerline to the NDX. Most definitely both have brought significant enhancements over the standard cables.

Also finally which is a must in my opinion if you really want to get the best from what you have is a dedicated 10mm supply. Again large uplift in sound quality.

Regards

Popeye

If you guys have access to Totem in NZ I would definitely get them on an audition list.

I auditioned the PMC 25.23 and many others costing thousands more and the Totems were in a different league.
Most who have heard them quite often agree.

Don’t get me wrong the PMC’s are great however.
In the UK Totem dealers are very few and far between. Hence the lack of users.

1 Like

Hey @popeye, keep it coming mate!

In NZ Naim distributor is also Totem distributor. They are here but not in massive numbers, popularity is growing.

@Mike_S owns both Hawks and Forest Tribes.

I only heard Forest and Tribe Towers to date. Totem are very nice speaker and so far from the models I auditioned they suit my preferred sound signature.

1 Like

I think we discussed this on another thread, you found the HiCap beneficial? I’m running Totems too, so it’s a good comparison.

Hi Mike

Yes we did.
The HiCapDR has provided a wonderful uplift in sound quality. The uplift is noticeable straight away.
I can only describe it that it tidy’s things up in the tracks and removes muddiness and improves separation and most certainly futher lowers the noise floor.
It makes the presentation a little more forward and focused.
For me it is without doubt far superior with the addition of the HicapDR and I certainly wouldn’t be going back.
If you like what it does, it’s a very reasonably priced upgrade.

Regards

Popeye

1 Like

Do you guys think we should ask Richard to change this thread to NDX/SUPERNAIT so all generations are included?

2 Likes

Yes, we want to be inclusive!