NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

Having a 252 and NDX 2 and never once did I passed 10am. 9am is almost sweet spot to listen to to be honest.

1 Like

This issue is common to all Naim preamps that use the Alps volume pot. It will be much more noticeable if your speakers are easy to drive, and more so in a small room. Unfortunately it has always been an issue when using digital sources which usually have an output of 2V or more, but Naim continue to use the Alps pots as they say that thay give the best sound quality.
For me, the solution was to use a Chord Hugo between streamer and preamp, which I found to be a very effective attenuator!

2 Likes

Same thing here - normal listening used to be around 8 on the volume control although now I’m old I find it’s nearer 8.30 - 9.

Yes, I am in a smaller space and closer to the speakers that in my previous place but I do find the issue annoying. I tried changing the audio output on the NDX 2 to variable, reducing the max digital volume to 80, which allowed for a little more headroom but I’ve been informed by the the Canadian Focal-Naim support team that I should only used the fixed setting as variable has a negative impact on the signal-to-noise ratio.

I just do not see myself having to add another component like a Hugo to get the desired effect. Might have to consider another integrated, a pre/power setup or just have to live with it.

Looks identical to my SN2/NDX into speakers rated at 92db

Got to say had NDX2/XPSDR and supernait 3 for quite a few months now… is getting better and better! :grin:

2 Likes

The same here, mostly listening on 8 to 9 o’clock. I have never past 10.

Been listening to all genres of music since my last post, putting more hours on both the NDX2/SN3 but still cannot pass the 7 o’clock mark on the volume pot. At this volume, it sounds great, loads of detail but if I turn it up just a little, it becomes uncomfortable and loud.

Will try different amps and perhaps different Neat speakers over the next month but I am disappointed with this issue about the volume pot. Makes the experience much less enjoyable.

I’ve read about more people having this issue. Is it a product defect or a setting/misunderstanding in how to set it up?

It’s a compromise that Naim have chosen because they believe that the Alps volume pot gives the best sound quality. So unfortunately, it’s something you have to live with if you use a Naim integrated or separate preamp. Different speakers, or a lower level (or attenuated) source will help.

I don’t have this issue with NDX/Supernait2

Packed up the streamer, amp and speakers for a road trip to a local dealer to compare how the system would sound in another environment. To my surprise, we were able to play up to the 9 o’clock mark with no issues. Also swapped out the Neat Explorers for a pair of Harbeth P3esr to very nice results. So this leads me to believe my room, the large plasma TV, glass coffee table and perhaps even the speakers could be the part of the problem. Not sure what the next step is but at least I can now confirm that the NDX 2/SN 3 is operating as it should.

3 Likes

I just heard a pair of these two weeks ago, my first time hearing Harbeth speakers, and they were just lovely sounding. This experience prompted me to book a demo of the 30.1’s in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

You should get a demo of SHL5 Plus too. IMHO the sweet spot in Harbeth range. They play wonderful with my Naim equipment. Have in mind though that Harbeth need power. They really change character when you add power to them.

Thanks, I will check those out too, as long as they have a pair. This is a Harbeth dealer, so I am sure they will have proper amplification. I have moved on from Naim amps myself, I only use Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR…on Full Fraim, with powerlines. My amp is a Belles 150 A reference, which is 150/8 Ohm and 250/4 Ohm.

Had the opportunity to borrow a NAC 252, SC & NAP 300 from my local HiFi retailer to see how it compared to my current system, NDX 2 and Supernait 3. Unfortunately I did have to give the system back but after a short session re-acquainting myself with my system it is good to hear that the SN3 with the NDX 2 does actually sound pretty dam good. I guess if I hadn’t listened to the 252 etc. I would be more than happy with my system, not that I am not of course, as the system on loan did cost considerably more lol. :smiley:

2 Likes

That is the system I would love to end up with one day. What were the stand out differences?

1 Like

I have the intention to get SN3 initially. But went ahead with 252/250. May I know how much of a difference you find? I always wonder if I should beef up my source with a good PSU first and use integrated or go straight to a respectable pre/power first. Having not heard the SN3 I am interested in your view.

You may have fallen for the “home demo” trap. :scream:

Think it’s got most of us here, once you listen it’s so hard to give them back.

Obvious physical differences are the SN3 has a dedicated button for the streamer input, the 252 does not, the SN3 also has a phono input as well as a headphone jack output. From a sound reproduction point of view I would say that the 252 extracts more detail and the P300 has more control over the speakers, better bass attack. The system definitely sounded more vibrant / lively to put it in simple terms but of course it is difficult to remember the exact differences as one tends to forget during the time it takes to switch between the systems, I think you have to listen for 1 min on one system and then switch to the other as quickly as possible and listen to the same track.

It is quite possible that I will upgrade to the 252, SC and P300 but that is not to say that the SN3 with a HiCap DR attached sounds poor as it certainly does not !!