NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

If it needs doing as quick as that to try and compare it sounds to me like you would be implying the difference isn’t huge!

As said the SN3 does sound good, it’s just my capacity to remember the audio nuances between different systems is not that good. The 252 system does sound more vibrant though with better control of the speakers with more detail and punch. Can I live with the SN3 system, well yes of course, would I like the 252 system, again, yes of course, is it over kill then probably but who cares it’s only money lol.

Well I’ve just powered up Freshly built NDX2 now resting on a full fat Fraim!
Supernait2 and HiCap been off for a couple of days now and first test song things sound promising.

I have also 2 new powerlines and a SL interconnect but I will add them in a week or two so I can hear the effects of each upgrade. :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Just added some NACA 5 to the system and outcome is great so far.

5 Likes

Has anyone has an issue with the volume on SN3 remote. My volume up works but the volume down has stopped working. So bizarre. Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks

A couple of things to check; make sure the knob is moving freely and not pushed in too far. Try a new set of batteries.

Hi Ants

When you got the Melco, did it replace a nas?

And did it make a big difference to sq?

@Hollow may I ask you the same 2 questions in relation to your Zen Mini?

Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, it replaced an aging single bay QNAP which was running Miminserver. It does make a significant difference when serving locally stored files to the NDX2. I find it is simply more musical, somewhat more analogue like. Same results when I had a Uniti Nova.

1 Like

Do you have the Buffalo blu Ray drive to add cd rips to it?
Or do you buy hi res files from Qobuz?
Or use the German hiresaudio site that’s integrated into the Melco software?

Do any of these sound better than others?

Thanks
Jim

I purchased a Buffalo BRXL-16U3 drive and have used it to rip a handful of discs so far. Works really well. Cannot compare rips made from the Melco D100 but very happy with it. Intend on ripping a few more and will try to compare these with Tidal’s streaming service.

Qobuz has not officially been released in Canada, so, I’ve not tried their top tier subscription which would allow me to also purchase and download hi-res files. No, have not used the HiRes Audio website either, so no way of comparing.

However, I am convinced that that a locally stored file, whether it was ripped with the Buffalo drive or transferred from the NAS does sound slightly better than streaming from Tidal.

I suspect the streaming protocols will continue to improve and I can easily see myself not needing a local music library but will have to continue to pay a subscription to access music.

1 Like

Wow - thanks Ants.
That’s interesting.

First you mentioned that the Melco is significantly better than a nas.
But then you said that the Melco as server gives only slightly better sq than Tidal.
And that you can imagine not needing a store/server as web streaming Develops.

This second response gives me a very different picture to the first, and makes me hesitate to get a Melco or Innuous at all.

It makes me think I should max out web streaming, get an NDX2 instead and upgrade my amps.

Does that sound like a better way forward?

It will mean ripping my system apart, but is perhaps best way forward.

It would be horrid to sell off the current system I love so much and Invest a lot and then find that it was not clearly better after all that!

HI Jim

No question that the Melco offers a significant uplift compared to the NAS when serving files. I’ve also heard the Innous and both are much better than a NAS in the my setup.

Slightly better is relative. I did not put a number or percentage when comparing the Melco to streaming from Tidal. It is twice as good ? Likely not but it does sounds better to my ears. It offers a fuller presentation.

I do think streaming will continue to evolve but I do not think we are there yet. It will get better and hopefully less costly.

I have almost 3000 digital albums so the local music library is my main source and priority to squeeze the most of out. So when I was looking for a new audio server, the Melco was a good choice that fit my budget and needs. Most of my music was already on the NAS. If I had lots of CDs to rip and wanted to use Roon, I would have likely tried a Innous.

If you do not have or intend to build a local library, then a music server may not be the right choice.

Looking at your profile, I also had a 272/555DR but with a NAP 200DR, NAP250DR and finally a NAP300DR. The latter was an insanely good kit. The best Naim setup I’ve ever owned. Sold it off and them moved to a Unit Nova and introduced a Melco. The streamer part of the Nova seemed to offer more detail than a bare 272. Recently sold that to get an NDX2 and SN3 and not liking it as much. Yes, the NDX2 is a superbly sounding streamer but I think it would be a better fit with a pre/power setup. The Uniti series do not sound the same as the integrated amps. Just for fun, I swapped the SN3 for a E370 Accuphase integrated with the NDX2 and my speakers. It surprised me…in a good way.

2 Likes

No I never had a NAS, my dealer had the mini on a promotion so I picked it up very reasonably, it holds mostly my old cd collection plus a few choice cds I’ve bought since, sounds excellent and a doddle to use

1 Like

And is there a difference in sq between those cd rips and Tidal or Qobuz?

Hi Ants, I am also interested in the Nova to partner with my Dynaudio S40s… am I correct that you have found the Nova more appealing to your ears compared to ndx2 & sn3 ? If so, I will appreciate if you could go a little further explaining on which way the Uniti and the integrates differ ( specifically ndx2 & sn3 ) and what was more appealing with the Nova ? Thanks…

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed reply, Ants.
Very helpful to know that.

I did buy a 250dr recently, but it didn’t work for me.
Partly because it may have been damaged - it was an ex dem unit.
And partly because it seemed to overpower my Naim Ariva speakers and/or my room - I play across a room that’s 22 x 11 feet, so it’s nearfield listening at low volumes. My 150x amp was designed to drive those particular speakers, and is very well suited to that task.

It’s especially interesting that the 272/555dr/300 was the best setup you had.
In that case why did you sell it?

I am delighted with my system at the moment so I don’t want to replace it all and end up with something worse.

So perhaps a Melco is the way forward for me.

Add my cds, and build a small collection of the modern jazz I love now…

yes I think it’s better but not vastly, what I did notice though was that the Zen in to the NDX2 was considerably better then in to my previous Nova. I’d imagine the Zen Mini is as good as any regular NAS. I have the Mk2 though not the Mk3.

1 Like

Rather than spending £2,000 or more on a Melco, why not just get a Qnap with drives for £500. If it doesn’t work out you’ll not have wasted much. My Nas sounds so much better than streamed Tidal or Qobuz. The cost of a Melco could be so much more usefully deployed.

Hi Tolomeo,
I’ve just upgraded from a Nova/S40s to SN3/NDX2 with Evoke50 and IMO the later is a far superior sound.

2 Likes

Hi JohnF,
Thanks… I guess Evoke50s are the main actor for that far superior sound ?.. For s40s, I am not sure how much improvement there would be and even so, if more then 2x price difference would justify the difference to my ears. And Ants seems to be more satisfied with the Nova for some reason that I would like to hear more.