NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

Av bypass is on the supernait; it’s designed to be used with an av amp, supernait driving front stereo speakers and the av amp has the volume control. It’s basically direct to the supernait power amp. So your nova would work in the same way, acting as source and preamp. Ask your dealer if you can borrow a 4 to 5 pin din interconnect to hook up nova to supernait.

2 Likes

Hi @robert_h, thanks for your input.

Atom has no DIN Preamp Output like Nova, so I currently have my Atom connected to SN 2 using RCA cable. RCA cable between Atom Preamp Output to SN 2 CD in.

Would I be better using AV In with RCA cable? Atom Preamp Output to SN 2 AV in? And then I assume Av Bypass from OFF to ON?

NDX 2 is on the way, but while I wait I want to make sure I am using best / safest approach.

Thanks

Hi, I assume therefore you have the Atom on a low volume setting feeding the SN2, and you’re using the SN2 volume control. That’s ok but if you want to take the safest approach, you could connect to the AV input on the SN2 and flick bypass to on. Then the Atom volume control becomes the master. I’d turn the Atom volume all the way down so you dont get a loud surprise when you connect it up this way and turn it on. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I’ve decided to keep the HiCAP, it adds more refinement, clarity and control in my system. It’s all sounding very lovely.

Need to look at power block though…

That’s good to hear mate. And now you have 4 boxes :grinning:

Do you own the tester Mike or did John bring one?

Yeah, just like that :thinking: well 5 with the Core. Then there’s a Nova, and a Uniti2…

He couriered one up. Now he’s sending up a Polaris thingy, which sounds like a nuclear weapon of some sort… we won’t count that as a box…

1 Like

Thanks @Moritz and @robert_h!

Perhaps its just me but it sounds much better going into AV using the Atom as pre amp and SN 2 as pure amp. Seems more detailed now. Before it sounded like it was muffled and struggling.

Personally I think this is definitely the way to run Uniti models into SN while you wait for your source to arrive :smile:

1 Like

I’m actually tempted to stash my SN3 until the NDX2 arrives and run them both in together from scratch

1 Like

I get that, but I would think amp will need more run in than NDX 2. You have a Nova so you are already sitting on a very nice system. SN 2 is a big difference from Atom.

That’s a nice idea. When I swapped from a SuperUniti to a 272/250DR I removed the former and installed the latter, without trying the SU into the 250 as an interim step. It was a massive jump and all the better for hearing it in one go. With the lack of a line out on the Nova, this approach makes even more sense.

2 Likes

I got my SN2 and NDX2 together and when they were installed, set the Nova up in the media room. It was certainty an “oh wow” moment for sure. I’d thought about a two step upgrade with the SN2 first, but thought, bugger it, let’s go the whole hog.

The I added the power supplies :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and broke all my promises and here we are.

4 Likes

Sounds like a nice office/media system you have!

Ah, yes, it’s the Nova in the media room, which is quite small and also my home office. It works as a really nice set up. The other kit is upstairs in the lounge.

1 Like

The more I think about it the more I think that’s what I’ll do, provided temptation doesent get the better of me, I’m not sure what the lead in time is on the NDX2 but it could be at least a month. As HH said rightly above I’d like to hear the impact all in one go and hear them both improve together rather then having a half run-in SN3 and a fresh NDX2, also I can wire them up properly and set up automation etc and have it all sorted from the outset.

2 Likes

@Mike_S The glass you have under your units - did you get that cut exactly the same dimensions as the units or did you go slightly larger?

1 Like

Hi @Hollow, for the SN2 and NDX2 they are exactly the same dimensions (also for my Nova). For the XPS DR it is actually slightly smaller due to a ledge inside the cabinet. It is 10mm green glass float with bevelled edges.

1 Like

This looks promising!

10 Likes

Congratulations, how exciting!

Congratulations indeed!! :hugs: Enjoy, and share your impressions here! :grinning:

So much for holding off for the NDX2! The SN3 is up and running in AV bypass mode with the Nova as a Pre, no DIN cable so using quality RCA lent by dealer. Sounds pretty darn good considering it’s literally out of the box but nothing exceptional over the Nova but I suspect that’ll improve with time and obviously will take a jump when the NDX2 arrives. Looks lovely though and nice to have a conventional classic type amp.

1 Like