NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

LOL…good on you. Keep in mind the SN 3 preamp is also isolated in AV mode. Once the NDX 2 is running the source duty that will also mean SN 3 preamp is in full use. That will help again.

2 Likes

Oh — SN3 just doing power-amp duties. Apparently, I missed that one earlier. Beans and toast from Monday so that the NDX2 arrives earlier… :rofl:

What are you sitting the glass on? I can’t quite make it out from the photos

I used soft bumpers, mostly the ones on the left that I got from the glass manufacturer. On the bottom shelf I needed deeper ones, so got these from the local hardware shop.

1 Like

There’s quite a bit of transformer hum off my SN3, not in the least bit audible when playing music but obvious enough with everything off. I see it’s come up on other threads with various types of Naim kit, can I assume it’s a ‘feature’ as such? A bit annoying though.

No really a feature as such. Mine is quite. Humming is usually interference from another item plugged into your household mains and can be pretty variable as I understand it.

2 Likes

My XPS does it sometimes, according to my dealer it has something to do with the power supply (outside). All I need to do is switch it off/on. Don’t know if that’ll help but it might be worth a try.

2 Likes

I had “transformer blues”, but an Iso-8 Powerline Axis provided cure. No nasty mains filtering involved, just dealing with DC problems on the mains suppy. It’s quite expensive, but I thougth the “peace” it provided was worth every penny. I had a chance to demo before committing – so maybe look out for an Isol-8 dealer in your area?

1 Like

I’m trialing a Polaris power board thingy to knock back my mains noise, which is off the chart. No transformer hums. Electricity is weird.

1 Like

I use one but there’s so many on the market you never know if you’ve got a decent one. Also the humming thing here has a lot to do with our 240v (apparently), I know nothing about electricity other than not to touch it.:anguished:

1 Like

Naim advises that power-hungry black boxes don’t like mains conditioning. According to conventional wisdom, mains conditioning makes the black boxes sound worse… But that might be “off-set” in situations of super-dirty mains… Please report your findings! :grinning:

1 Like

I use a Nordust CR/Qv2, apart from that humming on the XPS ( which hasn’t happened for a while) I don’t get any unwanted noise.

1 Like

I’d take it back to your dealer and get them to let you try another SN3 to see if there’s any difference.
From experience with a humming hicap dr it can get very annoying and has actually stopped me from moving further up the Naim ladder.
Naim really need to try and sort this out as my next purchase will be from another brand.

It’s hardly Naim’s responsibility to tackle interference coming from your mains…:roll_eyes:

I’ve had a few different brands of hifi in my home and the only time I’ve had any issues with transformer hum has been with Naim. This leads me to believe that the Naim transformers are more susceptible hum and as such my money will now go elsewhere, simple as that.

I had three HCDRs in the same house on different occasions, same mains outlet. One hummed but the other two not.

G

Went through the same annoying issues with 2 naim systems. Using isol-8 (the big one) in one system and an Airlink bps3000 in the second one. All hum gone and SQ has improved.

1 Like

2 Likes

Well done, finally!

1 Like

Totem Tribe Towers…very special compact floorstanders

6 Likes