NDX2 and NSS333

Steady on MikešŸ˜‚

1 Like

Iā€™m safe, Iā€™ve a new ND555 :sunglasses:, courtesy of the fire sale and likely cheaper than a NS333 :+1:

4 Likes

Yes, the significant price differential suggests that a big improvement would be expected. However, the question asked was around specific details of the differences in SQ. Letā€™s not forget that some may prefer the sound of the NDX2.

Nope nothing yet Mike

Wouldnā€™t expect anything until the new year I would think

I believe the new distributor has visited or about to visit Salisbury HQ

1 Like

Youā€™re very safe Mike

No more lollies for you :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks, thatā€™s very helpful. I think that doing a comparison without power supplies is the best way to get to grips with differences between the two streamers. As others have commented, there is a significant price difference, but that difference is probably artificially inflated at the moment in the respective new list prices, but is even more the case with the number of ex dem and second hand NDX2s being available. I canā€™t go to an ND555, partly because of the cost and partly because moving to streaming would be part of eventual downsizing, but I donā€™t want to step down too dramatically given how good CDs sound currently. I will anyhow arrange a comparative demo at some point.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget that you can rip your CDs, put them on an SSD drive and attach to a streamer via USB. No loss in quality but much more convenient.

Yes, of course that would be my intention - part of downsizing being also to store the CDs once theyā€™re ripped.

1 Like

I had previously settled on an NDX2/SN3 route, as ruled out the NS333, but this thread had me confused again, like @Sloop_John_B I am used to the clear pathway supported by hardware and SQ justifications.

The website mentions vs the Classic Line - ā€œReach a higher level, with New Classic.ā€

The recent review by Hifi News , by Paul Miller and Andrew Everardt, points the superiority of 333 vs Ndx2. However Nd555 has still the edge.
But in the review the 333 is associated with the 300 ps, and they donā€™t tell what ps the Ndx2 has.

1 Like

Perhaps @andreweverard can clarify on the ndx2 ps in the review?

2 Likes

Good idea :+1::cocktail:

2 Likes

Moreso since some dealers (at least in the US) are now discounting the NDX2 to half the price of the NSS333!

Thereā€™s no reason to believe the NDX2 is better than the NSS333. It would be interesting to see how the NDS compares since itā€™s the better sounding player of the OC. But Iā€™m doubtful it beats the 333.

1 Like

The NDX2 is not better than the NSS333. I had the NDX2 for 5 years and as much as I liked it, a first audition of the NSS333 showed what I had been missing - I wonā€™t say ā€˜better bassā€™, ā€˜better highsā€™or such, rather it is totally more musical.

I obviously put my money where my mouth is by trading the NDX2 for the NSS333!

8 Likes

What speakers were used in the test?

Kudos Titan 606 which are the speakers that I have at home. I think these speakers are great and would not want to change them. It therefore made sense to ensure all listening was with a pair of these.

I notice that you have the Ee8 - I am just waiting delivery of mine. Not that I expect much improvement sound wise but it will allow me to have some extra ports as my Sky router only has 2. I intend to get an Intel nuc for Roon playback, my TV and streamer.

Are you impressed with yours?

The EE8 alone does not have a much effect on SQ.

It seems to come into its own with a PSU, from what I have read.

2 Likes

Thanks. I doubt that I would notice much difference myself but I needed the functionality and thought it best to have an ā€˜audiophileā€™ (expensive!) version. This one was not too expensive - relatively speaking!

To be fair, my system warrants more than budget ancillaries so this switch should do nicely. The price of more esoteric ones frankly scare me!