NDX2 and NSS333

Yes it’s connected using a 3.5 jack and yes the NC can control the OC

Lets me control amp source and volume… but only works via the app.

Volume works via 333 remote, but only if using the variable volume approach, not when SA is turned on.

I assume this is a bug so I’ve emailed naim

It does sound most odd, not how I’d expect to to work at all. I wonder if Steve @110dB could shed any light on it.

Sounds like it! If the 333 can control preamp volume via app then it is capable of transmitting correct codes over the 3.5mm lead and everything is connected as it should be. If the 333 is not doing this when the volume is changed via the zigbee remote that sounds like a software issue.

NDX2 works via both app and zigbee for volume and input control of OC. If SA is supported you would assume 333 would be the same.

2 Likes

@ajm were you using a non DR power supply on the NDX2/ND555? I assume only one power supply on the ND555 as well?

I know the CD555 was fine with non DR power supplies but think (could be wrong) that the NDX2 and ND555 were designed around the DR supplies and worked best with those.

Maybe NDX2/555DR would have been fairer vs the new stuff… I could be wrong though :grin:

I’ve tried it with both DR and non-DR 555PS

@ajm out of interest was the difference substantial between the DR and non DR or just subtle on the NDX2? In fact if you tried on the ND555 as well I would be interested.

Today I listened to NSS 333-NPX300 and NSS 333-555 PS DR. That the sound became so much better when replacing the NPX 300 with the 555 PS DR I never thought. But I’m still very happy with my NSS 333-NPX300. I’ve never listened to the ND 555-555 PS DR. I’m sure it’s even better.

4 Likes

I had this happen to me, in my case with a 333 & 332. One screen of the app let me specify which input maps to the streamer. I’m afraid I’m not at home and can’t connect to the system to be more specifc. You would think this meant which input socket at the back of the box, in my case clearly labelled input 4. In fact, it correlates with the buttons on the front of the box, and 4 was aux. Once I’d worked out the correct number for streamer, problem solved.

1 Like

It’s nice to get a head to head comparison of the 300 and 555 PS. For clarification, are you saying you the SQ was better with the 555 than the 300?

1 Like

Yes In my opinion much better.

4 Likes

Good to know, thanks. I’ll keep this in mind when considering upgrades.

1 Like

To be honest - I didn’t find a massive difference between the two

1 Like

@Radikal very interesting. I have not seen many comparisons but if the NDX2/555DR is broadly similar to the ND333/300 it must mean the ND333 is superior and the 555 is bridging the gap.

NDX2/555DR probably a lot cheaper as well albeit used vs new.

1 Like

To my ears NSS333/NPX300 is already better than NDX2/555DR so it would interesting to hear NSS333/555DR

1 Like

@ajm ok so ND333/555DR could be a proper next step on from NDX2/555DR in your opinion if ND333/300 was already better than NDX2/555DR?

Maybe the step people will take who want that sub 555 level price point…

Interesting.

I would be interested in hearing any more actual comparisons between the NDX2 and NSS333. It’s not clear from the above how great an improvement the 333 is, although it is clear that the 555 PS has a better effect with it than the 300 PS. As the OP said, the situation with these two streamers is rather confusing as the NDX2 doesn’t really seem to have a place in the new hierarchy.

2 Likes

I’d say the NDX2 probably sits with the Supernait

2 Likes

I went from an NDX2 with SN3 to NSS333, NAC332 with NPX300 and NAP350.

I had a lengthy listen over many hours at a dealers, firstly to the NDX2/SN3 then NSS333/SN3. The intention was to then test all combinations. However, the 333 was so far ahead of the NDX2 that I dismissed the NDX2 at that point.

The differences that I found were mainly around a far more detailed and natural midrange and a far more musical. By this I mean I got a lot more enjoyment regardless of what I listened to - it also made me want to go on listening.

I never used a PSU on my NDX2 during my 5 years of ownership and did not use a 300 during my listening tests of the 333 so I cannot comment on them.

This of course is only my opinion and may not be of any use to you. I would suggest having a good comparative listen yourself if the 333 is something you may consider buying.

8 Likes

But isn’t this precisely what one would expect anyway re increase in SQ

Forum members seem to not comment very much on the significant increase in price

2 Likes

Have you seen any pricing on the 300 series in Australia yet @Bevo? Nothing here over the ditch.