NDX2 … one month on

I’m sorry, you are quite right. I’m so used to it I just don’t notice it. I do agree that it would be good if the local server option could be removed when one is not connected. Maybe @Will could add this request to the list. Thanks Will!!

1 Like

Thank you, ChrisSU and Duedkiez, for this valuable information - I certainly hadn’t picked up on this (and neither had my Dealer when I asked him). I may use the facility one day, but agree:

Okay, end of … move on :grinning:

The NDX 2 has the Standby function - which I’ve left at 20 mins, max’m appears to be 2hrs. This appears to be very sensible even if 20 mins passes very quickly!

But when woken from Standby the App displays the Source Input Screen … UPnP has to be chosen even though this is my default source. I have ordered the inputs as I want so that UPnP is top left … i.e. first choice.

Query: is it possible to have UPnP automatically selected when coming off Standby?

Added to which, the last album played is still showing at the bottom of the App screen. So whilst the App appears not to remember what the last Input Source was, it does remember the last album streamed … weird!

Further, when we look at the NDX 2 screen, UPnP (my default choice!) does not show and is not selectable (not even via the Screen Input options), yet e.g. Spotify, which I do not use, is.

Are there technical reasons for these anomalies … or just not properly considered?

Has own source UPnP become second-class behind pure streaming?

Cheers! :grinning:

There are, I believe, some technical reasons why UPnP, Tidal and Qobuz can’t be controlled from the remote/front screen. (Neither can Spotify really, you use Spotify Connect from its own app.)
On the face of it this does seem a backwards step from the old streamers, but that’s the way it is.

Again, thank you for enlightening me. At present Spotify which appears to be selectable shows my son-in-law’s login name … he used it briefly a few weeks ago with his subscription.

Clearly we’re guided towards using the App (I used the front screen a lot on the NDX) and the NDX 2’s screen is of limited use. Choosing inputs such as CD, AV and Internet Radio change the NAC 282 input accordingly (this works very well) but the primary one, for me … i.e. UPnP … isn’t available … oh, well.

Taking this issue further … more queries:
We often queue several musical works but find:

• with the NDX and Muso QB v.1 the App screen will, momentarily, display the number of tracks added as each new album is queued. We found this very useful. For the NDX 2 this no longer happens, hence we could program 5 albums to play only to find one of those albums has not registered … i.e. there is no confirmation that the chosen album has been recognised and queued.

Is there a setting I’ve missed which will re-instate this useful (and desired) facility?

• when the play queue has ended we find that the App still shows the last track played at the bottom of the screen, i.e. it doesn’t clear … but, strangely, the artwork displayed (bottom LH corner) is that of the first album in the play queue.

Surely these must be firmware/software programming issues - or, again, have I failed to make a necessary setting change?

Many thanks - in advance.

NDX 2 … the screen:

I’ve read numerous postings suggesting the screen ~ album art ~ is not particularly useful; once you’re used to the change from the NDX, etc. … what’s the point? Those who chose the ND5 XS2 cite the screen as not being required.

And, yes, I’ve noted that in all things the User is driven towards the App … so why bother with the screen?

I can state: I love the screen … I enjoy casting my eye towards it for nearly every album that streams. And, in this regard, I spend (an inordinate amount of) time seeking artwork to attach to music files (i.e. not just the cover which adorns the CD purchased). For collections of older recordings (such as 45rpm singles) I like to use the vinyl label or picture sleeve; for re-issues I often look for the original release artwork, etc.

But, there is something else I’d like: the Hand-control has a button to access the track details but this secondary screen (small image + details) stays on for about 5 seconds.

Can this not be adjusted to say - 10~15 seconds? Okay, many won’t be bothered but if, e.g., I want to identify what track is playing on an album such as Harp Music of France [Laskine] (my title) and it’s Caplet: Conte fantastique d’après une des Histoires extraordinaires d’Edgar Allan Poe “Le Masque de la Mort rouge” (Légende) … it takes far longer than 5 seconds to read :smile: That the information does not scroll across the page is also disappointing … again could this be re-instated (or have I missed the relevant optional setting)?

Perhaps an extreme example but if it’s possible to extend the display time / re-introduce scrolling … please!

As for the Hand control … the less said the better. Awful tactile feel, of little use beyond set-up. I know … use the App.

I’m not sure if this issue is specifically related to the NDX 2 but it’s occurred only since we replaced the NDX … almost 5 weeks ago.

App: Random play
On a number of plays we’ve found the music queued is played in random order and, yes, the Random icon is lit … but we’ve not selected it. We did have one or two occasions when the Repeat facility was engaged, too, without intention.

Probably thick-thumb syndrome but it raises the question: as useful as these facilities may be, why are they placed in such a dominate position on the App front page? Are either used regularly by most users? For me, in 8+ years of NDX streaming I’ve employed random no more than a dozen times, repeat … never.

I’ve no desire to see either facility removed but do suggest:

• the icons are located somewhere less prominent of the App screen; and/or
  • the colour/brightness of the icons is changed so as to be more distinguishable … the only way I confirm that Random has not been inadvertently selected is by tapping it to see if the icon becomes brighter :grinning:
1 Like

The app is long overdue a revamp of its button layout in my view, especially on small screen devices. For years the forum has been scattered with posts from people tearing their hair out because they can’t figure out why their play queue is playing in random or repeat mode, amongst others things.

2 Likes

The shuffle setting is ‘sticky’ in that if you turn it on to listen to a playlist, it’ll still be on when you go to listen to an album (even, it seems, if that’s in a different listening session altogether) but I think this was the case on the old platform too. I’ve got used to checking this, but it still catches me out occasionally. I don’t know whether there’s something that turns shuffle on automatically - but there shouldn’t be.
Personally, I’d like two settings for shuffle - one for playlists and one for albums.

Thank you, both, for your replies.

We don’t use Playlists (I’ve never found out how to set one up which shows my ignorance) but accept your warning should I ever do so.

I referred in my second post to having a telephone conversation with one of Naim’s technical staff (initially regarding Chromecast but we covered a few other issues) and he agreed with me that the Random (Shuffle) and Repeat Buttons require attention … indeed this matter was already scheduled.

I hold out hope :grinning:

1 Like

Yes it’s annoying, I would have thought shuffle should default to off when you change album / playlist or whatever.

One theory I have about this is the Random/Shuffle icon is selected -inadvertently - when, at the end of choosing, we then tap the album image (bottom left) to bring up the full image.

The Random/Shuffle icon is located directly behind this small image. Could a tap which is a longer/heavier than necessary result in the iPad (or other) Touch Screen registering it as a User selection of the Random/Shuffle icon?

Perhaps not of importance to some but something we’ve found useful - a positive change from the NDX (and the Muso Qb v.1) - is the access for the NDX 2 from multiple Control Points.

Upgrading from a Logitech system to the NDX I was disappointed re: not being able to have more than single access. I know all control points timed out (one exception: I have an old iPod which does not time out when used, located in the kitchen) but it was surprising the number of times I sought access on an iPad or my iPhone only to find one of the other iPads was still connected.

It’s not that we have a house full of iPads … more that I never throw anything away until it stops working so have old iPads in different rooms.

Anyhow, the NDX 2 does allow >1 access so that’s one old issue which can be disregarded. This is not so relevant for the MuSo Qb since we don’t access it from other rooms.

Regarding NDX 2 ~ TIDAL, I am very impressed with the interaction … exceedingly smooth and this includes queuing music from both local source and TIDAL … you can’t spot the join! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I had an ND5XS2 for about a year and never thought I would enjoy streaming music so much. As a result I took the plunge and updated to an NDX2, fortunately bought just before the price rise (and a great trade in for the ND5 as well).

As they say, early days (I only got it on Saturday) but I am very impressed, there’s definitely an increase in “heft” to the music. I was playing The Comet Is Coming on Tidal earlier and I thought the pictures were going to come off the wall, and it wasn’t even that loud.

Bandcamp FLAC downloads via a USB are also stellar.

A very impressive piece of kit.

This damn forum could get expensive……

8 Likes

Delete the bookmark!

1 Like

…years ago I was quite happy with my ND5 XS > Nait XS 2 > NACA5 > ProAc D2 system. My how it has grown!

4 Likes

Fortunately I have neither the space nor the desire for pre/power amps and associated power supplies. Maybe an upgrade to the turntable and down the line maybe a XPS for the streamer, but they are only maybes at this stage

3 Likes

Well, several weeks on … still enjoying (very much!) the NDX 2 even though the gripes referred to above remain … but, yesterday, I took the plunge and removed the CD5x/FC2x from the Fraim so as to re-introduce the nDAC.

So, now, I have the nDAC powered by the XPS-DR using the NDX 2 digital out.

Initial reaction: what’s the difference … but album after album has sounded more expansive, much more open. And, on playing one of my recent Hi-Res downloads … I had the nDAC show the second light “hd” :grinning:

11 Likes

I could see the second light of nDAC while listening Tidal MQA or Qobuz Hi-res too. Source was Bluesound Node 2.

1 Like