NDX2 … one month on

Your mention of these HiRes streaming platforms has pushed me to investigate … presently I have the 90 day free subscription to TIDAL only. However, with our own library of ripped CDs I’m not inclined to subscribe to either, but can see their attraction.

3 Likes

Sounds like you are enjoying the re-introduction of the nDAC.

I used to use random occasionally with my HDX, but never with the NDX2. Repeat : never

I don’t have the technical wherewithal for streaming quite happy with put CD in, play, remove, put another CD in etc. but it must be amazing to do streaming if you’ve the gear and knowledge of the platforms

Calum, if you have a good dealer they can install it all, get it working and show you the ropes. It is actually easier than playing a cd or putting on a record. I still prefer vinyl for sq but it’s so close and the access to music is superb. Worth a chat with your dealer?

6 Likes

This interesting. I was thinking of trading in my nDAC to raise funds for an NDX2. Now I’m not so sure - I may have to just splash out for an NDX2 in full, to use with my NDAC. Hmmmm…do you think you’ll keep the pair utilising the external nDAC, rather than the NDX2’s internal DAC?

1 Like

Probably best to try it yourself as you may come to a different conclusion. For me, the ND5XS2 into a nDAC/XPS-DR is very cost effective as the nDAC still sounds fantastic.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks. I do have an ND5 XS 2 in another room. Now there’s a test that someone could carry out: ND5 XS2/NDac/XPS versus NDX2/XPS. I’m at work typing this on my phone so I haven’t watched the forum to see if anyone has already performed this comparison…

Cheers @marcusman

1 Like

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the NDX 2 → nDAC/XPS DR arrangement, I found I was constantly arguing with myself about whether I was getting vfm from the new NDX 2 (not helped by various posts suggesting the cheaper ND5 XS2 works just as well) so I removed it from the set-up 2 -3 weeks ago.

First impression was that the NDX 2/XPS DR sound was not as clear/precise but I quickly determined this was merely me adjusting to the difference. Since then I’ve found the SQ consistently high and don’t miss the nDAC. Of course, the XPS DR means I’m still not fully utilising the NDX 2 … oh well :smiley:

4 Likes

If you’re using the XPS DR on the NDX 2 then the digital card and indeed all the rest of the player is benefiting from the separate DR regulation the XPS DR provides. With the n-DAC in tow then a lot of that DR regulation will be lost.

I’m no expert but if I remember correctly when using a Ndac with a XPS-DR, the ndac’s internal power supply provides power for the digital section while the analog section is powered by the XPS-DR. Probably not the best from an environmental point of view but it sure sounds great(IMHO)

3 Likes

Yes of course. But…the NDX 2 fully utilises the XPS DR with it’s ‘DR’ regulation

Features

• Four isolated transformer windings with six low-noise DR power regulators - configured as two isolated regulators for digital at +15V, isolated +/-10V for DACs and isolated +/-23V for analogue stages.
2 Likes

Ah yes. The VFM quotient: NDX2 with it’s own DAC + Power supply + another DAC. That doesn’t sit well with me either. ND5 XS2 with nDAC and Power supply? That sounds like a better proposal. But…sigh…it’s the redundancy of adding a DAC onto a network attached DAC, that rankles me.

Tricky. What to do. I just can’t bring myself to get rid of the nDAC - plus the fact that the second hand resale value on the nDAC’s have suffered so much. If only the nDAC had USB implementation.

I shall mull this over. Thanks for your input @Musicmad

1 Like

Aye. True. Message understood @Stephen_Tate :+1: Cheers.

Ha ha. I don’t doubt that for one minute :grinning:.
Do you still use this combo - ND5XS2 with PSU and nDAC?

1 Like

Yes I do. ND5XS2 digital out via DC1 cable to the nDAC powered by a XPSDr. I ran with only the ND5XS2 for about 1 year then found a nDAC for a great price. I really did want the NDX2 but I just couldn’t afford it at the time. I wasn’t even thinking about a PSU until I heard the nDAC.

2 Likes

A DAC chip is a small and fairly inexpensive component (albeit an important one), and yet you begrudge making it redundant more than you would a built in power supply, which is a dirty great big expensive transformer and other components.
I would suggest that there is far more redundancy in a PSU upgrade that there is in a DAC upgrade.

3 Likes

Hello @ChrisSU and @marcusman. So sorry for the satellite delay - where does the time go? :crazy_face:

Yeah that’s a good point I. I do wish Naim would make a killer bulls eye transport Sans Dac though. But I don’t think that will never happen. With that in mind, my gut feeling is that Naim Streamers into Naim pre-amps via analog Din is optimum, and that Naim streamers into non-Naim Pre amps via analog is probably not the way to go - it has to be via digital out. Just a hunch.

@Simon-in-Suffolk has been quite vocal about this in the past. He referred to it as using the Naim Streamer in ‘Transport mode’. The point being that he wasn’t convinced about the analog out of his Naim streamer into a non-Naim pre amp. Have I got that right @Simon-in-Suffolk? His assertion resonated with me at the time.

For lots of reasons, I’m sold on Naim streamers - but as a solid reliable dependable transport. Belt and braces. I am upgrading my SCM 40a speaker to the Active versions. I have the ATC Pre amp. So looking to the future, I’ll probably go via digital out into another DAC like you @ChrisSU and @marcusman. Unless they bring out the much talked about NAC-N 272 of course :laughing:

2 Likes

This is reassuring! Sorry for the delay replying by the way. Do you think your set up sounds as good as the NDX2? Is it a keeper? Or do you think you’ll upgrade?

I’m enjoying this thread. Thanks both @marcusman and @ChrisSU

1 Like

Haven’t done the comparison, but when I was talking to my dealer about the NDX2 they said it would only be a slight uplift over my ND5XS2 and nDac and not a good value upgrade for the cost

2 Likes